What Brand of Cast Bullets Do You Use

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GuySDS, Mar 10, 2010.

1. GuySDS

GuySDS

I have loaded many different manufactures with varying cost, my question is what manufacturer do you use for cast bullets? how many do you shoot and your overall review of the product? I have currently been using Bullet Works for $65 shipped a thousand for .40 180gn.

2. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

3. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

$65/1K of .40 sounds like a great price.
    I like Meister, but they're not as cheap. I load their .357"/130 RNFP cowboy bullets in .38 Super, .38 Special. Consistent, accurate.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  4. fredj338

fredj338

Their site says $67/K + USPS flat rate shipping. http://www.bulletworks.com/ipsc_bullets.html What gives? I cast my own but have used Missouri & TwoAlpha.

5. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

6. G19 DB

G19 DB

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. dudel

dudel

If I'm using cast, I generally cast my own. HBWC is a pain to cast in volume, and Midway has the Speer 148gr HBWC at a very reasonable price. I pick up 500 of those whenever they appear on sale.

Way back when I used to buy cast, I bought the Bull-X projectiles. They work great; but I'm down to my last 2000 of them. Sadly, they no longer seem to be operating;

8. Bruce H

Bruce H

9. GuySDS

GuySDS

I was also very pleased with the bull-x projectiles but I cant seem to find them again.

10. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

If its lead, I cast it myself out of Linotype and put a gas check on the bottom.

11. BK63

BK63

Geez getting into cast is like learning everything all over again. I have heard about a gas check on the bottom but don't know what that is. Anybody have a pic of this one? At least I have some great links of where to buy cast with good prices now :supergrin:

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Unless you're going to push the velocity envelope you really don't need to worry about gas checks. They used to be cheaper than dirt... around four bucks for a thousand... now they're up to around forty bucks per thousand.

I suspect Hozer uses them because he's an experienced loader and caster and probably gets 'bored' with some of the more mundane loadings. That's one of the nice things about casting... you can spend years and years experimenting and having fun.

If you're just learning stick with the basics until you get comfortable with everything... then work on finding a good, free alternative to WW's and range lead... we'd all be interested in that. :supergrin:

Jack