Glock Talk banner

What brand of 1911 magazines have work the best in your Springfield TRP Operator?

7315 15
I just received a Springfield TRP Operator and was wondering if anybody with the same pistol has had the best use out of a certain magazine? I have narrowed my choices to Chip McCormick Power Mags (8rd), Wilson Combat 47Ds, and the Tripp Cobra mags. I know all of these have a great background with some negativity, but before I start spending my money, I want to make the wisest decision. Also, from my recent research, I realized that finding the right 1911 mag can lend itself to a debate that is only rivaled by the 9mm vs. 45ACp debate. Thank you for any input.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not own a TRP, but Tripp mags have worked well in all of my pistols. I prefer them over Wilsons because the Tripp followers have a little metal tab, and the springs are stronger.
Thanks. Tripp is definitely a top priority. Out of all three, Tripp mags are the only ones with less negativity.

· Banned
63,200 Posts
Thanks. Tripp is definitely a top priority. Out of all three, Tripp mags are the only ones with less negativity.
Not to mention that Tripp mags are cheaper than Wilson mags.

I have only personally encountered one issue with Tripp mag: a 7-shooter .45ACP Officer's mag that was somehow pinched in the middle. You can't see it with your eyes, but the mag tubes are concaved enough in the middle that it causes the mag to jam after three rounds. Sent it back to Tripp with explanation, they sent me back a brand new mag.

A buddy of mine bought 5 of the 10mm mags for his Delta Elite. He claimed that the plastic mag base plates kept coming off under recoil. Sent all five back and got five replacements. Then he called me up and claimed that the replacements did the same thing: base plates coming off the mag and spilled the guts out. So I took my Delta Elite to his joint and we both went blasting. The mags worked just fine in my Delta Elite, and worked just fine in HIS Delta Elite when I was shooting it.

This is the same guy who claimed that my Wilson 10mm mags didn't work in his Delta Elite either yet they worked fine when I shot his gun in front of him.

Anyway, Tripp mags aren't perfect, but they are damn close to it in my book. Not just in function but also in the quality of fit and finish. Function before form and all that jazz, but if one were to pay $40 (a few bucks less if you buy 5 or more) for a mag, it should not just work well but look good too, and the Tripp mags look like they're pretty enough to act as Man's Jewelry.

· Señor Mombo
2,907 Posts
While I've never had a magazine related stoppage in any of my Springfield 1911 pistols, I only use Tripp magazines in competition. They get the bullet up a bit higher at the front and the composite follower locks the slide solidly back every time. The only down side of Tripp magazines is they are a real PITA to disassemble. On the other hand, I shoot with several guys who've run the same Tripps for many years, never cleaned them, and never had a problem. I've got some pebbles rattling around in a couple of mine, but they've never caused a problem.

Reactions: Nubs0311

· INFRINGED
42,158 Posts
All 10 of my Wilson mags work perfectly in my TRP Operator...and in all my other 1911's.
That's actually interesting.

It has been reported on the 1911forum's SA board that some Springfield guns hate Wilson magazines.

I have 5 total SA 1911's and have tested Wilson magazines extensively on three of them. Two work perfectly, and one hates them.

The other two guns are unfired with one being a 9mm.

· Registered
6,856 Posts
Call me lucky, but I've never had magazine issues. The only exceptions are a couple of Metaform mags that came with a 9mm 1911 of mine. They function perfectly, they just don't drop free when released. It's strictly a range toy, so no worries for me. In general, I tend to favor the Wilson Elite Tactical mags.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.