What book's on your nightstand now?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Vic303, Oct 10, 2004.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Scarface and the Untouchable
    Al Capone, Eliot Ness, and the Battle for Chicago

by Max Allan Collins

The real story of Al Capone and Eliot Ness. Pretty interesting and quite a bit different than the movie and TV shows.

Jan R Whitaker likes this.
  2. Eighty.33

Eighty.33

“Christus Vincit: Christ’s Triumph Over the Darkness of the Age” - an interview with Kazakhstan’s Catholic Bishop, Bishop Athanasius Schneider....the man speaks the truth.

Also on my nightstand is the manual for my new G26 Gen 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

200 pages into The Sixth Patriarch's Dharma Jewel Platform Sutra.

Cited as one of the best books in the world by The Lifetime Reading Plan started in the 1930s by Clifton Fadiman of the University of Chicago.

Explanation
    . The Buddhist Text Translation Society in Northern CA did the translation from the Chinese. Each section is followed by a commentary by Tripiaka Master Hua. Helps me understand the differences between Buddhism and Christianity and how to reach the state of being Buddha.

4. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

History of the 14th Brooklyn (Civil War) about as old as this thread.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

I always have two books available. One is in the car for when I am stuck somewhere. I started yesterday. An anthology of ten short stories in French by such people as Balzac and Voltaire. Should take me a while to go through it. I already chose the next car volume which will be the 1697 French version of Perrault Fairy Tales. A nice challenge because it will contain two tenses or moods which are used today only in official governmental speeches.

The other book that will be the daily read is Tales from the Thousand and One Nights. About 400 pages to read.

My sister is the purchaser of WW2 books and she gives them to me when she finishes them.

6. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

I finished 1001 Nights.

I read the complete Sheep No More by J. Gilliam, former Seal. Took me a couple of hours. I am going use my term, not his. Projection. This ability to see a situation from both the perspective of an attacker and a defender. He puts the reader into the mode of thinking about potential physical danger situations as the attacker would plan. Then it gives the reader the ability to anticipate and avoid or counter attacks.

Personally, I am a guy who looks at all the cars on the street when I leave the front door. I scan the neighborhood. Still, there was a value in this read to me.

The book I am reading today is Selected Stories of Lu Hsun. He introduced the short story into Chinese literature in the early 20th Century. His stories paint China as it existed before the overthrow of Old China with illiteracy, Confucian education, and the beliefs in spirits. The author became a full Communist before his death in 1936. However, this material was written as an observer of the Old China and not as a series of political statements. At the time, the illiteracy rate was close to 99%.

8. lazarus66

lazarus66

Stuka Pilot is in the throne room with several copies of Smithsonian Air And Space.

jmontgomery likes this.
  9. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

“Ardennes 1944” , Antony Beevor, Viking Press, 2015.

pretty good, anecdotal, more German anecdotes than other books on the subject that I’ve read.

10. bdcochran

bdcochran

Read Anthem by Ayn Rand over the last two evenings.

11. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

You might be interested in this one:
    cover.jpg

12. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Currently reading...

The Pentagon's Brain, the uncensored history of DARPA. By Anne Jacobsen

Fascinating story of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration. They've come up with some cool stuff but also have wasted billions upon billions of dollars. Not to mention instituting high tech surveillance on everyone in the country.
    Scary stuff.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  13. bdcochran

bdcochran

I anticipate finishing the current book by sometime tomorrow. Next will be 101 Famous American Poems. Those I will recite out loud. I used to have about 10 volumes of poetry. When my sister-in-law had twins AND a summer cabin in Maine, I sent her my collection.

I sent in a volume of my poems to be copyrighted during the epidemic and I have not heard back from the US government.

14. Lockedout

Lockedout

It takes more than a lie to hide the dark secrets of this picture-perfect family.
    ~Girls of Glass by Brianna Labuskes

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

Ramayana. William Buck written version. An Indian epic which was originally sung in over 25,000 verses. It ran about 5,000 pages in Sanskrit. My English volume is only 452 pages.

16. SitkaBob

SitkaBob

Other than the Bible (which is always there) it's "Encyclopedia of Wester Gunfighters" by Bill O'Neal. Pretty interesting.

17. bdcochran

bdcochran

Finished 101 Great American Poems, read aloud. Surprised by how many expressions in everyday life came from those poems.

Started Speak by Vladimir Nabokov (author of Lolita). It is an autobiography.

18. bdcochran

bdcochran

This is Friday and I will give a review on Speak by Nabokov.
    1. I am into the book 55 pages. I have 17 flash cards of English words or expressions to look up.
    2. The book is largely written in English. There is a sentence or expression in French every couple of pages - with his French being correct. The portions in Russian are not written in cryllic, but in western alphabet and thankfully, he translates the Russian expressions into English as he goes along.
    3. When I read Death in Venice by the German author Thomas Mann, I had to look up words, but it was different. There were common clothing items from the beginning of the twentieth century no longer worn. The more difficult part was that he assumed that the reader had an extensive knowledge of Latin and knew the Roman characters he would off-hand reference.
    4. Nabokov's book is written at a higher level or vocabulary and yet, is very entertaining. One of the best autobiographies in print. today.

19. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...