GlockTalk Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1779 Posts

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
Oooh... good book and series.

For folks who aren't familiar with it, here's what makes this book unique:

The central character is a police detective in Oslo, Norway. You'd expect pretty much the same setup in the first book of any such series - meeting the central character, learning a bit about where he lives, meeting his boss and co-workers, his partner and his favorite bar. And all the while solving the murder case.

This book is distinctive as the first in a detective series because the murder case takes the character halfway around the world to Australia. So you meet the central character, but that's it. The only introduction to his boss is a few phone calls home. You don't learn anything about where he lives, favorite restaurant, where he works, co-workers, etc..

I thought it was a pretty unique and daring beginning to a detective series. Just imagine the first book of the Harry Bosch series having him traveling to Madrid to assist the detectives there in solving a murder case and you get the idea.
Thanks for the tip. I just put a bunch of Jo Nesbo books in my que to download from the local library.

·
finishes it...
3,669 Posts

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Ok, so I haven't seen anyone else start this thread, so I will. What book is currently on your nightstand, or on the counter beside the porcelain throne? ;f

My current reading is Massacre at Oradour. Just getting started on it, but it looks to be good.

--Vic
Vengeance by George Jonas .Story of the Olympic massacre in Munich in 72. How the Israelis hunted down and killed the PLO master mind's that planed the attack. just got started but so far it's pretty good .

·
finishes it...
3,669 Posts

·
finishes it...
3,669 Posts

·
finishes it...
3,669 Posts

·
finishes it...
3,669 Posts

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
Just finished The Lase Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, just started We Were Soldiers Once, and Young. Read both of them before.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I first read this in 1983.

cover.jpg

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Doughboys on the Great War by Edward Gutierrez.

How American Soldiers viewed their WWI military experiences.

·
finishes it...
3,669 Posts

·
finishes it...
3,669 Posts

·
Free Full Clip!
17,096 Posts
After the library closed, I bought a copy of Dean Koontz's latest book, "The Night Window" which I'm just now finishing up. Koontz is one of my favorite writers and I've corresponded with him.

Before that I read The Biography of Robert A. Heinlein which was really interesting. I read "Stranger in a strange Land" back when it was all the rage in the early 70's and read a couple of his science fiction books after that and later became familiar with his political thinking.

What was interesting about the book was what a major figure he was in the world of science fiction,which he called, "Speculative Fiction". He was good friends with Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clark and also L. Ron Hubbard though he parted ways with Hubbard when L.Ron got into Dianetics and Scientology. He also hleped out another author, Phillip K Dick, when he was first starting out.

Also interesting was how much his wife helped him edit his books and what a solid marriage they had. They traveled the world together until they were too old to keep doing it.

He described himself as a "Flaming Liberal" when he was young but then said he stopped supporting Democrats when all the Liberals stopped being Liberals and started becoming Leftists.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Four Dominions - book 3 of The Testament Series by Eric Van Lustbader

1721 - 1740 of 1779 Posts