What book's on your nightstand now?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Vic303, Oct 10, 2004.

1. bubllehead

bubllehead

I'm working on a bunch of books right now.

Ben Bova The aftermath it's ok with compeling characters and a good story but it asumes that half the planit was flooded from global warming. It keeps taking me "out."

S.M. Striling Dies the Fire I've just started. 2 pages in i said this guy can flat WRITE!

Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon Born to Run from the Serrated Edge novels. It was free at www.baen.com not by coincidence its the middle of a triligy as best i can tell and I'll have to pay for 1 and 3. It's quite good and interesting to see how things have changed just since 1992. It's a supernatural thriller with good and eavel elves and mages and hearos and heroins. preaty coo.

2. GSD/G23

GSD/G23

I just started "Killing Floor" by Lee Child. It's the first in the Jack Reacher series. I'm looking for a new series similar to Swagger if anyone has any suggestions!

3. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I have been searching for that book! I have read Child's "Bad Luck and Trouble" and "Nothing to Lose". Both excellenty books. Lee Child is a terrific action writer. His guy Jack Reacher is really good. I prefer to read series of books withg the same character in the order they were written. In this case however it doesnt appear to make any difference because they don't make references to past episodes. Each seems to stand on it's own. I would like to read The Killing Floor though because a lot of Reacher fans believe it is Child's best book.

THese series are not new but there are none better: John Sanford's "Prey" books. Eyes if Prey, Winter Prey, Silent Prey, etc. Sanfords guy is a jaded burnt out police Lt. Lucas Davenport. He is terrific. You definitely want to read all the Prey books in order.

Another great series is the Spencer books written by Robet B. Parker. Spencer is a wisecracking PI that is a total tough guy. Lots of action and humor. I think there are 20 or 21 Spencer books out and you want to read them all in order as well.

I'm sure you have already read James Pattersons "Alex Cross" books if not you should.

Also Michael Connelly's Heironymous Bosh books and James Lee Burke's Dave Robeceaux books.

4. jacquejet

jacquejet

After all the hoopla about "Twilight," I decided to reread John Steakley's "Vampires." Jack Crow, the toughest man alive.

5. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett

"Wyatt Earp, The Life Behind the Legend" by Casey Tefertiller

6. SpookyEight

SpookyEight Guest

American Rifle, a Biography by Alexander Rose

7. V-Strom

V-Strom Guest

'The abolition of man'
    By CS Lewis.

8. Rocknropes

Rocknropes

Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden.

9. MedicOni

MedicOni

Right now... World War Z :D

10. GAC

GAC

Birdsong by Sebastien Faulk. A novel set in World War One. You get to liking a character or two and then *bang* they are gone.

11. Dean

Dean Guest

BIG BOY RULES
    Oil On the Brain

12. gglockner

gglockner

After reading several non-fiction books lately, I needed a break from reality. Just finished Time to Hunt and starting in on Black Light. I thought that the book Point of Impact was great, if you haven't read Time to Hunt you are missing out. This book would make such a great movie if they were to follow it closely. The movie The Shooter just kind of roughly followed the book Point of Impact. It was still a good movie, but the book was much better. It just is a lot easier on my mind knowing Bob the Nailer is not real, so what happens to him doesn't tear me up like when reading Blackhawk Down or Lone Survivor.
    Not that I don't enjoy the feeling of being proud of these guys and knowing the ultimate sacrifices for our nation, just gets to be a bit much and I need a story that is nothing more than a dream or someone's fantasy.

Glen

13. Mystic316

Mystic316 Guest

Reading Flight of the Nighthawks again by Raymond E Feist

14. GAC

GAC

Fever Kill by Tom Piccirilli.

15. Targettarget

Targettarget Guest

Stuff White People Like - Christian Lander

16. rem2429

rem2429

Guns Germs and Steel - I think in 100 years this book will be held as the anthropological sequel to Darwin's Origin of the Species.

Cockpit - ww2 coffee table book

JAMA a few issues to catch up on

17. Marshall Dillon

Marshall Dillon Make mine a 9mm

Culture Warrior, Bill O'Reilly.

18. GlockerMike

GlockerMike God Help Us

John Adams by David McCullough

[​IMG]

19. OgenRwot

OgenRwot Politico

Both very good books.
    For me, currently Tsar by Ted Bell. Cold War version 2.0, it's scary how real it is and how probable the scenario is (so far).

20. GSD/G23

GSD/G23

Sea Change by Robert Parker, a Jesse Stone novel. It's okay, my first Parker book. I did like the movies starring Tom Selleck. Typically I always like the book better than the movie but not so much this time. I do think that Selleck played the character true to the book which is good.

I'd really like to see Hollywood make a Stephen Hunter book into a movie that allowed the characters to be true to the book. I doubt that will happen. There's always hope!