Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rational
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple months back, I bought 6 new fifteen-round mags for a future 92FS purchase. However, in hindsight, I kinda want a few more rounds. This is going to be purely a plinking and home-defense gun (but mostly plinking), not a carry gun. However, for the size of the gun, I kind of want magazines that are higher capacity.

I've heard that some of the higher-cap mags can have reliability problems. Is this true, and if so, which ones? And which mags should I get for it? Any specific brands you would recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
MecGar makes a 18 round mag for the 92,great mags got some over a year ago and never had a problem.They also make a 17 rounder.I think Glock and MecGar make the best mags in the business and they are very well priced.They are kind of hard to find now but I'm sure they'll come around.Greg Cotte has them most of the time so check them out.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
So a couple months back, I bought 6 new fifteen-round mags for a future 92FS purchase. However, in hindsight, I kinda want a few more rounds. This is going to be purely a plinking and home-defense gun (but mostly plinking), not a carry gun. However, for the size of the gun, I kind of want magazines that are higher capacity.

I've heard that some of the higher-cap mags can have reliability problems. Is this true, and if so, which ones? And which mags should I get for it? Any specific brands you would recommend?

Thanks!
Factory 20-rounds mags are crap.

The best ones are non-extended Mec gar 18-rounds.

·
Rational
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MecGar makes a 18 round mag for the 92,great mags got some over a year ago and never had a problem.They also make a 17 rounder.I think Glock and MecGar make the best mags in the business and they are very well priced.They are kind of hard to find now but I'm sure they'll come around.Greg Cotte has them most of the time so check them out.
I just signed up for Gunmagwarehouse.com. I could get lost on that site! Gonna go check out GC too, thanks!

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
Beretta factory mags are what I would get. I have a bunch of the 15 rounders, several factory 17 rounders and a few of the colored ones for the M9A3, and a couple factory 30 round sticks. All of them work.

The only aftermarket mags I have bought were the 18 round MecGar mags, and they have always worked fine. Many swear by them and from the way mine have been I'd also have no qualms about using them in a defensive pistol.

I think ProMag also makes Beretta 92 series magazines. I would stay away from those, as the ones they make for Glocks are pretty hit or miss.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I believe the Beretta 92 factory magazines are made by MecGar. So buying MecGar is the same as buying Beretta factory mags - only cheaper.
They use to make them but I believe they have switched within the last decade. Regardless the factory mags are still great. However as you said the mec gar option is cheaper and 100% quality.

As for pro mag I bought 4 on clearance at an lgs for $5 a piece and have never had an issue for range use. Would I trust them in a life or death situation... definitely not but for range mags they do the job.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Find some extended Ruger P 89 mags, and notch the tube just like your existing 92 mags. Those things were always pretty cheap and the ones I have never stopped the pistol. Not sure what make they are, but not Ruger or Mecgar and they still work pretty good.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts

Thanks!
MecGar 18 rounders, or factory 30 rounders.

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
If it were me and I was wanting to get a few more rounds in a flush fitting mag without any extensions, I would look at the factory 17 round mags that come with the 92A1. They are selling them in various places online for a smidge under $30 a piece which isn't that bad of a price.

I was tempted by this thread and ordered a couple more black 17 rounders for one my M9 pistols.

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
The factory 17 round mags work great. Give mag capacity equal to a Glock 17.

The checkmate GI mags are cheap and great mags for the range. Never had a problem with them.

Any of the Mecgar mags are great also.

I have a ton of all of the above. They all work. Don’t listen to the interwebs gossip about the checkmate mags. The Army is the only one responsible for the checkmate beretta mags being terrible. The new style Checkmate mags are great and very cheap.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I’ve run factory MecGars, ACT & Checkmate 92 mags in an INOX 92, 90-TWO, CX4 Storm, Sub2K and a PAK 9 in 15, 17 & 30 rounders. None have ever given me trouble.
The only real difference in 15s vs 17s is the spring & follower, the 15 has a std. coil spring with same loop size top to bottom while the 17 has a spring with small loops on top of large loops so it can compress further. None of my followers are interchangeable between spring types.
Now there’s an interesting thread on the Beretta Owners Forum on what’s the most reliable mag for competition, and 18 round MecGars seemed to be the best ones although some swear by the milspec 15s with the metal bases for ultimate drop proof mag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.