What are your thoughts on this parenting issue?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mrs. VR, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

This past weekend, we had a laser tag birthday party for our new 10 year old. everything went great, until the end when two boys announced that they were supposed to walk home together alone.

Neither parent had told us that when they dropped them off, so we asked the boys for their phone numbers so we could call to confirm that this was okay. NEITHER BOY KNEW HIS PHONE NUMBER!!

Thankfully their addresses were on the waivers the parents filled out when they dropped them off. I had to VR and our daughter take them home and then come back for us.

I'm not going to lie, I was a little bit horrified by the whole situation. The laser tag place is in a fairly urban area the neighborhood isn't that great, it was getting very cold and starting to get dark, and they had no way of calling their own parents.

I know that I can tend to be over protective at times, but this seemed a little bit beyond the pale to me. even the staff at the laser tag place worth it taken aback by the situation.

So, any thoughts on this?

2. Mrs. VR

Ps-I dictated this on my phone with the microphone, so Blaine any spelling mistakes on that!

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

The kids should know their phone number. However I do a lot of work with kids and it baffles me how many kids of that age don't know their number, address, parents full names, alternative numbers etc.

You did right by dropping them off even if it turns out to be true that they were supposed to walk.

I would mention it to the parents to see if that was the real story. They might not realize the boys don't know their number or maybe the boys do and just wanted to walk.

4. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Sounds like you may have been used as a free babysitter by some people who were primarily looking to dump their kids on someone else for a spell.

5. Five O'Glock

Five O'Glock

No way I'd let my kids walk home alone Mrs. VR...not in this day and time. Good on ya for getting them home safe.

Too bad their parents didn't seem to think it was important.:upeyes:

6. Mrs. VR

VR checked in with them when he dropped them off. I think there was a bit of a language barrier to be honest. I should add that I do let our 10-year-old go around our own neighborhood with his friends, as long as he lets us know where he has. He knows our phone number address etc.

The neighborhood that the boys live in, is not an especially safe one either.:sad

Eta: I think he said one of them it was just an older sibling at home not the parents. Not that that particularly matters just want to give all the facts.

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Sharon, I remember the Lyons girls.

Because of that. . . . I have been OVERLY protective, of all of my kids.

"You done good. Reeeeeeeeal good!" :thumbsup:

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

I assume the other kids were 10 as well or close to it?

I would say it depends on the area. My GF had a 9 year old and he went off on bike rides alone with other kids all the time. Of course this was a smaller town with no bad areas.

If the area isn't very good, and especially being at night, I don't think that's a very wise decision on the part of the parents.

9. Mrs. VR

My brothers went to school with them, it was just terrible. I was never allowed to go to Wheaton Plaza by myself until I was like 16 and worked there.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

That is insane. I am in the middle of BF no-where, but I am not having kids over at my house/party place, and then not look the parents in the eye when I hand said kids back over.

11. Mrs. VR

To be clear, it wasn't dark dark, it was getting to the desk. Not sure that makes huge difference, But again I want to be totally clear.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Wow,.....very hard to understand why a parent, these days, would
    not have their child know this number.

13. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

As a parent, I'm as horrified as you, not just at the fact that they didn't know their own phone numbers, but at the fact that their parents left them with you without communicating anything to you regarding how they were to get home. That's how kids come up missing!

You did good bringing them home, at least from a moral perspective. The sad thing is that from a LEGAL perspective, such 'good samaritan' actions can often get you in serious trouble. If your hubby had a car wreck on the way home and one of those kids got injured, the fact that their parents had no idea that they were even with VR could result in a big-time lawsuit. By not providing for their own kid's transportation and safety, the parents of these children put not only the lives and safety of their young ones at risk, but also put you and your family in a potentially nasty legal situation.

You did the right thing, though.

Maybe you should call up the parents of these kids and let them know that going forward, if it is their intention to ever drop their children off with you and NOT provide for their safe transportation, they need to just not bring them over at all?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  14. CAcop

CAcop

Every kid should know their name, parent's names, addresses, phone numbers and if possible dates of birth. The DOB is good for police running the parents should the kid forget addresses.

As for walking home, it better be a safe hood or real close. Checking in by phone mandatory.

15. fgutie35

fgutie35

Some families raise their kids to be more independent than others. Having said that, responsability goes hand in hand with independence, those kids showld know their parent's ph. # if they are to be trusted to walk on their own.

16. Mrs. VR

To be Honest, I don't think we will have a whole lot of interaction with these people in the future. Maybe not until his next birthday. I will certainly make sure that point that we are very clear about expectations for having the kids picked up etc.

17. Mrs. VR

Also, I did consider the legal perspective, but I felt at that point it was the lesser of two evils.

18. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

If kids don't know their parents' full names, addresses, and PHONE NUMBERS by age 5, there is something seriously wrong.

19. NDcent

NDcent Socially Inept

You called it right, a parenting issue. Who would let a child out the front door if they didn't know names, addresses, and phone numbers? I bet the parents voted Obama.

20. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

My 5 1/2 year old knows his phone number.