What are your thoughts on Hi-Standard 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by RMTactical, Mar 30, 2010.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Specifically compared to the Springfield Armory GI 1911's. However, any and all observations are welcome. Thanks for your help and input.

2. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

They are Armscor pistols. They are the same as RIA pistols, but I admit I like the HS logo better than RIA.

HS tried to say they make them themselves but the head Armscor USA laughed and said "They do??:rofl:. Well I take them out of the box from Armscor and pack them in HS boxes."

They are good pistols nevertheless. But in my opinion (and that is all it is) the SA is a bit better pistol for a bit more money.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Yep, built in the Philippines by Armscor.

4. CMG

CMG

The only High Standard I've seen was in pictures.

Having owned a Charles Daly, and handled a bunch of RIAs, I'd also opt for the Springfield.

However if I were strapped for cash, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the various Armscor pistols.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I was in contact with them when I had them build mine, and they fully admitted that their base guns are Armscor.

They do make some that are American made, but you can't get one for less than 1000.00. I wanted to make sure I wasn't spending a crap load on an import.

6. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

I talked to the Armscor rep and he said they supply some of the parts and STI supplies some for HS higher dollar models.

They maybe American put together but it is kind of a marketing thing to say they are "American Made". Kind of like the jam Leopold got themselves into recently and they finally dropped the "American Made" slogan as they were just American assembled.

That is not to say anything bad or good about them, just the facts that they use Armscor frames and slides.

7. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Yeah, I am thinking about a Springfield Milspec right now. Thanks for your help guys!

8. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I asked them just that. I wanted to make sure the frame and slide were American made. For awhile there the guy who owned High Standard, his wife also owned and ran a company that made frames and slides. They manufactured both fully machined parts, and 80% frames.

My frame is marked as one of the ones that company made. I traced it and the parts it was made from several months back.
    I looked at some of the pictures I took of the name, because I don't recall it offhand, but it's obscured. What I can read in the pic, is ink- Houston, TX USA

9. ambluemax

ambluemax

I don't think much of high standard, especially if held mext to a springfield.

10. Ruggles

Ruggles

Last I heard they made some higher priced models in Houston, the majority are the Armscor. I owned one years ago and it was a good basic 1911. Their higher priced stuff is suppose to be pretty good.

http://www.highstandard.com/

The National Match model looks nice. Hey they are made in Tejas so you know they are good.

STI, Bond Arms, American Derringer all good stuff made in Tejas!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  11. Josh82

Josh82 Semper Paratus

I have a HS Compact Crusader and it eats everything I feed it. I've yet to have any issues with it and carry it when I can't take my Sig 1911 Gov't with me.

12. zdragon23c

zdragon23c s&w&me

made in China.:supergrin:

13. zdragon23c

zdragon23c s&w&me

i took a very close look at a Rock Island GI the other day...they are 10 times better assembled than a HS. In fact, i think they are even better than Springers but too bad RIA frames and slides are all cast.
    Yup, i own a HS, i know.

IMO....a cast frame is fine but not a cast slide. My HS metal slide(cast) was so so soft that it wasn't even funny.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  14. JBJ16

JBJ16

^ ^ ^ I know someone who got shot double-tap COM + one b/ween the eyes with 45ACP FMJ's, luckily the perp who shot the guy was using a 1911 with a cast frame and slide, he was discharged with a clean bill of health within 24hrs.:tongueout:

15. TxGun

TxGun

"i took a very close look at a Rock Island GI the other day...they are 10 times better assembled than a HS."

Well.... according to an Armscor rep (Blackdragon) on http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=135709, [I]the High Standard guns come of...generally appears to be [I]very[/I] positive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  16. ranburr1

ranburr1

Never believe anything from the ownership of High Standard. And no, his wife does not own a company. Nor do they have American made slides and frames.

17. Reignman

Reignman

Having had a high standard crusader compact I LOVED it. I owned a Kimber before that and a Springfield Operator... didn't have one issue. As a matter of fact, My kimber *****ed more than the H.S. did...

Just my.02, not from "Holding it in a store"... but from testing it in many scenarios.

18. Reignman

Reignman

19. TxGun

TxGun

Let me make the point again slower for those with limited comprehension skills: The High Standard guns are the same guns as the RIA guns. Check with the Armscor people. With me so far? Now, I don't own one, but if you look around the net on various 1911 forums, the RIA/High Standard guns are generally well thought of by their owners. (You can look up the word generally if it throws you) :upeyes:. Personally, I see them as a B-grade gun also. Not something I would own. But that doesn't mean they aren't decent values for the price and a useful 1911s for those on a tight budget.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  20. Reignman

Reignman

I was joking, laughing at the guy who thought what you're arguing against... I don't have a comprehension problem but... apparently, you do. I was making a quip like your "Ratchet down the quality control".... I was supporting you dude, chillax.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010