What are your chances of Corona Exposure?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Gfive45, Mar 30, 2020.

1. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

The astronauts on the ISS have a zero percent chance of exposure to the COVID-19 virus. QED.

billy_56081, Intolerant and RussP like this.
  2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That is because they are in the ultimate quarantine and the supplies scheduled for delivery will be decontaminated?

Intolerant and IamtheNRA like this.

3. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Also, the crews of nuclear subs that put to sea prior to the outbreak also have a zero percent chance of exposure until they return to port.

Intolerant likes this.
  4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Medical staff are in the hot zone everyday.
    One mistake is it for me, 24/7.
    My choice.
    :)

5. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Yup. They have an airtight shell and 200 miles of hard vacuum between them and the virus. Supply capsules are generally loaded in cleanrooms to avoid transmitting contamination.

Intolerant and RussP like this.
  6. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I rate this thread 2 out of 10 possible stars.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Actually it's NOT 100% chance.

Intolerant and IamtheNRA like this.
  8. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

LOL!!

9. pblanc

pblanc

Really? OK. Here is some of the misinformation in this post.

It is not inevitable that 100% of the population will come in contact with this virus. What percentage will is unknown but even though the variola major (smallpox) and poliomyelitis viruses were highly contagious, not everyone became exposed to them. Viruses are characterized by a basic replication rate, the number of people that one infected individual subsequently infects. Viruses need to acquire new hosts to perpetuate themselves. When the basic replication rate drops below 1.0 then the virus ceases to propagate itself. That can happen when a high enough percentage of the population develops adaptive immunity through prior contact or vaccination, or if the infected population can be confined and kept out of contact with new hosts.

If you are young and healthy you are not necessarily safe. Young and previously healthy individuals who are presumed to have intact immune systems are contracting this and some have become very ill. Some have died.

If you have no acquired immunity to this virus through prior contact or vaccination, your body will not recognize it as a pathogen and attack it. You will not have any circulating antibodies to do so. Your immune system will therefore not have "considerable resources" to "mobilize".

Fever and the catarrhal response to respiratory infections are not necessarily beneficial. It has long been posited that the febrile response to some infections might impair pathogen replication but that has very rarely been proven convincingly. The catarrhal response is due to inflammation of the mucous membranes of the head. By the time you develop stuffy nose, runny nose, or cough the virus will be well-established in your system and these symptoms will not "flush" it. A cough may result in you transmitting it to others, however.

If you contract covid-19 and have fever, fatigue, cough, and muscle aches you are definitely "sick", take my word for it. You don't have to be on a ventilator.

Individuals who do become infected with covid-19 will presumably develop antibodies to it, assuming they are immunocompetent. That much is true. But how effective that immunity will be or how long-lasting it will be are not yet clear. We do not yet know if this virus will have the tendency to continually auto-mutate like influenza so as to allow it to reinfect a significant percentage of people who have already had it through so-called "antigen drift". An there have been a number of disturbing reports of reinfection of individuals with covid-19 after seemingly having recovered from it, although these remain anecdotal.

This process of becoming resistant to virus infection by developing antibodies to the virus through prior contact or vaccination is not called "natural immunity". It is called acquired or adaptive immunity. A person who is naturally immune to a pathogen has no antibodies to it.

Subluxation is a misalignment of vertebrae. Subluxation has been attributed in some chiropractic theory as a cause for all sorts of maladies including ADHD, bed-wetting, colic, digestive and stomach problems, high blood pressure, autism, Parkinson's Disease, multiple sclerosis, prostate cancer, allergies, and ear infections. Even most chiropractors now refute this crackpot theory. If you want to read more about it you can do so here: https://archivesphysiotherapy.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40945-019-0064-5

but don't waste your time. There is absolutely no evidence that subluxation has anything to do with covid-19 infections or that manual adjustment or other chiropractic care would be beneficial.

snerd and IamtheNRA like this.
  10. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

My wife's a psych nurse pulling extra shifts. I think my chances of catching it are pretty high.

11. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

So you're saying there's a chance?

12. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I always feel better after a good Chinese massage than after a chiro visit. Can't wait til they open up again.

Ordell Robbie likes this.
  13. thewitt

thewitt

The OP posting has to be the most obnoxious post I've ever seen on any forum...

RPK Clone and snerd like this.
  14. Bradley T

Bradley T

15. pugman

pugman

The question is and the post doesn't define "exposed."

My wife's coworker has it. Her employer closed the clinic all last week. Mrs Pugman's first day back was today.

The clinic has three employees: her, the vet and the receptionist who was sick. She was in relatively close contact with the receptionist 20 times a day.

Neither of us had a temp above 98 this past two weeks...14 days since my wife was in contact with her.

I must be superhuman.

Gfive45 likes this.
  16. Intolerant

Intolerant

All these friggin CV19 CORONAVIRUS threads are making me sicker than the damn viruses out there are. Who the hell knows whats true and what isnt with so much BS being posted. Hell the doctors dont even know what the REAL actual outcome is going to be, but yet here we are talkin a bunch of BS we know absolutely nothing about. It sure would be nice if all this virus BS had its own sub group. Then we wouldnt have to weed thru all the virus threads to just find normal stuff to talk about. This CV19 CV has all gotten way past ridiculous in GT.

17. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

I hear they are and offering deep discounts.

CE854CA9-090E-465B-BF9F-AC8EB4A7484C.jpeg

18. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Uh, dude. You’re in the Covid-19 sub forum lol

19. billy_56081

billy_56081

Now I'm not a doctor but, are you saying you can get a little infected? Kinda like a little pregnant?

20. Intolerant

Intolerant

BAAAAAA.... how right you are Mr Snerd! ;)
    It has infected just about every group within the dang place.
    Seems GT is the now the official CV19/CORONAVIRUS forum now. :(

What i have noticed since the out break...
    people i`ve known in GT, are fighting each other like i`ve never seen before.
    Long time friends, fighting. Where does it end. People need to learn respect again.