close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are the training requirements in your state?!?!?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by DScottHewitt, Dec 11, 2006.

1. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

And are they different (to be certified) between paid and volunteer? Shot Glass made some comments that made me curious. Sounds like wherever he/she is, the classes are not the same.....

Scott

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

FFI: 99 Hours
    FFII: 40 Hours
    FR: 40 Hours
    EMT-B: 121 Hours
    HazMat Awareness: 8 Hours
    HazMat Ops: 32 Hours

there are prerequisites for various courses. You must have HMA, CPR, and First Aid for FFI. HMO is needed before FFII.

Scott

3. aspartz

aspartz

Minnesota requires NO certification to be a Volly. Different departments set their own rules. The tech school I deal with:
    "Basic Firefighting" - 72 hrs (no longer offered)
    FF I -- no longer offered
    FF I/II -- 120 Hrs
    EMS for MN:
    EMT -- NREMT or recognized state card (120-140 hrs)

Other classes:
    HazMat Awareness - 4 hrs yearly
    HazMat ops -- 40 hrs

ARS

4. n8ick

n8ick

Minimum:

FFI - 152 instructional hours, dosent include practicals. +4 hours for haz mat first responder, and 8 for first aid/CPR.
    FFII - 76 hours, + practicals.

Volunteer must be at least FFI, paid on call can be FFI but most departments prefer FFII, full time must be FFII.

If you really want to know more...
    http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-28077_42271_42325---,00.html

5. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

In Maryland the basic requrirements are the same. As I noted in the other post career academies that I am familiar with spend longer than required on training but the certifications are the same.

All of the following also meet national professional qualifications as noted.

FFI-102 hrs (add hazmat ops and FR/ EMT-B or higher for state and national pro board)
    FFII-60 hrs (add above classes for state / national cert)
    HazMat Ops - 24 hrs
    First Responder - 45 hrs
    EMT-B 131 (can test for NREMT-B upon completion not required)

Way too many courses to list all but you can see them HERE

6. D25

D25 The Quick

No mandated differences in Oregon. I did notice some differences when I went from a volly agency to a paid one though. Most of the differences were based on the specifics of the service area. For example, in my volunteer academy we became quite proficient in the arena of drafting and shuttling water because this was a rural agency. The paid agency served a fully hydranted area, and thus this skill was not even brought up in the academy. Similarly, there was more wildland training at the volly agency.

As far as EMS training goes, since the paid agency that I worked for transported patients, while the volly one did not, we had much more EMS training at the paid department. Now that I fly, the volume of EMS training is on the verge of being rediculous.

7. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

Florida requirements are very strict and hard, this is one reason why most states let us just challenge thier test to become certified in thier state.

FF1-160 hours
    FF2-200 hours(40 hours of hazmat ops included)
    EMT-B - 1 college semester
    CPR- 8 hours
    Hippa- 4 hours
    EVOC - 16 hours

Thats the minimum requirements to even be eligeble for hire. Most depts only wants paramedics and not EMT's.

8. fireguy129

fireguy129

PA requires a haz mat r&i and a pulse. FF1 and higher is recommended, but I don't know what the hour requirement is, most of my department studied the ifsta and challenged the course. EMT-basic is around 120 hours I believe, its been about 10 years since I took it though. Essentials is up to 180 hours now, broken into a handfull of segments.

9. sfd_324

sfd_324

Alabama requirements
    Vol = 160 hrs.
    FF I/II with basic EMT included = 400 hrs

10. Glockenbang76

Glockenbang76 Glockaholic

My instructor last night said that once you get certified in Florida, you can basically go anywhere in the US. He said that FL has the longest and involved standards in the country. Is this true?

11. sfd_324

sfd_324

Don't know about the longest & involved but Florida's certification will transfer to other states like Alabama's will., because now you are already pro board certified when you complete the course. I think all you have to do here is take Alabama's test if you are from another state, would have to check with the training div at the AFC to be sure.
    We have one of the premier Fire Colleges in the nation.

12. Glockenbang76

Glockenbang76 Glockaholic

First, I misspoke. Florida has ONE OF the longest and most involved requirements in the nation. I'm a newbie in the service, so for me to say Florida's training is the longest is quite ignorant. Especially since I know almost nothing about other state's requirements.

So, let me get this straight... My training would instantly transfer in AL pending some sort of state test? I have a feeling that Florida's standards are one of the highest, because most other professional careers (law, accounting, medical) that require extensive training transfer most places from Florida, but not the other way around.

13. TecRsq

TecRsq

Georgia is a N.P.Q. / Pro Board process state and the basics are usually FFI & FFII.

N.P.Q. FFI - is basically 120 hours of instruction and job performance requirements which get you through the entire book and add NPQ Haz-Mat Awareness, NPQ Fire & Life Safety Edcucator, Basic First Aid, CPR and some limited live fire.

N.P.Q. FFII - is the next step and continues building on the job performance requirements to a higher level of skills to include NPQ Hazardous Materials Operations level, Structural Fire Control, Flammable Liquids Fire Control and Crash Victim Extrication.

From there you can basically move into many of the diverse technical disciplines that are offered as well as reinforcing the core skills and taking them to the intermediate and advanced level.

To answer the question of Vollie Depts. / Career Depts. and the minimums required.

To be a Vollie you are required to complete the Core Competencies from each chapter of the book yearly and demonstrate the job performance requirements as well as having continuing education to equal 40 hours of additional training.

Some do this and some dont, I base this on the fact I have been in the same counties Fire Service for the last 19 years in both career and volunteer capacity.

My career department requires core competencies completed annually as well as 240 hours of inservice training yearly.

Emergency Medical Technicians as well as Paramedics have additional recert requirements every 2 years through a recert course.

14. TecRsq

TecRsq

I just got back from a 1 1/2 month stay at the Alabama Fire College and can say as stated before that their facility, their Instructors and the execution of courses are spot on and as good as it gets.

We have a very nice Public Safety Training Center here in Georgia and I went to Alabama to get additional training in the Technical Rescue disciplines "I had completed all the Georgia curriculums and wanted to take it to the next level"

I left with what I consider to be a very favorable impression of their state run facility and the good brothers in Bama.

FWIW I also see that AFC has the only distance learning Fire Officer curriculum that meets Pro Board standards.

15. sfd_324

sfd_324

Just got off the phone with Kim at the AFC. Yes your cert. will transfer to Alabama provided you have 320 hrs training (FFI/II) certified, Pass Alabama's test but the catch is you must be hired with an Alabama dept to take the test, but you can send in your info & they will take a look at it & possibly certify you without having to be hired first, depending on several factors like time as a cert. FF etc..

here's a link to the AFC. Any info you will need is in there.
    http://www.alabamafirecollege.org/index.html

16. sfd_324

sfd_324

Thank you for the nice compliment, We have sent several to the Georgia extrication school & all that has come back has said it was an excellent course & nice facility.

The AFC is continuing to expand their facility, they still have alot of things to add, all of the lower field & field to the left of the burn building will soon be filled with scenerio type training promps.
    They continue to expand every year with something.

BTW it sounds like you went through structural collapse, Rope, Confined space class and or Swift water calss????

17. TecRsq

TecRsq

I already had the Rescue Technician in Con-Space and Swiftwater as well as the Operations level in Structural Collapse.

What I did want was the Rescue Tech in the Rope, Trench and Structural Collapse, man those classes were great and the Structural Collapse Pro Board written test gave me a headache as it was one of the most challenging written tests that I have taken in some time.

Our State technical program has been M.I.A. for the last 6 years and I wanted the Pro Board Certifications at the Tech level for all the disciplines "which led me to Bama".

Our state has just started up our technical curriculums again and will now be placing dates throughout the calendar for the various disciplines.

I want to get into the Tower Rescue curriculum that they are going to do here in Georgia.

Problem will be that everyone else wants in the same classes and it will pretty much be first come first serve when submitting the authorization forms for these classes.

Great folks you have over there at A.F.C. and I look forward to a return trip as soon as possible.