What are the main reasons you carry a j frame as a primary

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BACKTOGLOCK, Feb 24, 2020.

1. fastbolt

fastbolt

Size, weight, trigger, reliability, caliber (bullet weight).

The shape enhances drawing from the pocket (Centennial and Bodyguard styles) and grasping the grip, as well as breaking up any easily recognizable outline.

I seldom use a belt scabbard anymore, but use a UM #3 soft pocket holster.

2. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/manufacturer/smith-wesson/01-1680

A link to the grips on that gun. The rubber backstrap is to reduce felt recoil. They can be found cheaper but this is the manufactures website.

3. NMG26

NMG26

OWB mostly.

Don't know it is there, conceals great.

JimmyCat likes this.
  4. John_AZ

John_AZ

I like j frames. They fit my hand well. I enjoy shooting them = I practice with them more often.
    Conceal easy. Reliable. Accurate. Quick and easy to use. Safe.

That said I don’t pocket carry.* I should specify as my primary, majority of the time. I do throw it in my pocket in Desantis holster as a BUG at work

yep380 likes this.
  5. Pluto57

Pluto57

I have found it difficult, if not totally impossible, to draw with my off hand. Maybe that's just me, but it is the reason I don't pocket carry.

6. jr24

jr24

I also recall video, probably on active self defense, where there was a gunfight in a gun store and one or two of the employees never got their pocket guns into play because they dove on their faces when the bullets started flying and weren't able to fish the gun out in time before the bad guys ran off due to being engaged by a different employee.

Just another factor to consider, even AWIB is much easier to reach if you happen to be eating carpet to get cover.

I don't pocket carry, and if I decided to carry a J Frame it'd be belt carry, but I'd want to bump it up a bit in size.

For me, and I tried to pocket carry my LCR some, my thicker thighs mean that pockets roomy enough for a gun are rare if my pants aren't ludicrously baggy (no, I don't do skinny jeans either) and if I do have big enough pockets (cargo pants and shorts) anything other than standing still bulges considerably, heck even my slim money clip prints when I sit down.

Only time my wife ever really "made" me (she can sometimes tell if she looks real hard, but this was obvious) was pocket carrying in cargo shorts. Luckily the friend we were with wasn't staring at me too much, rabidly anti gun as she is.

MD357 likes this.
  7. fastbolt

fastbolt

A couple thoughts ...

First, if someone can't access their front pocket-holstered weapon, it's more than a little likely because they hadn't practiced drawing and presenting from their pockets, either on a live-fire range or with empty weapons in the privacy of their homes.

Second, when it comes to drawing a pocket-holstered snub, one of the real advantages is being able to surreptitiously have your hand already on it. That requires both awareness and the opportunity to obtain that low profile grasp of the snub.

Now, if someone is caught in a surprise situation, yes, pocket-holster carry - especially without sufficient practice - is probably going to make for some difficulty for them.

Well, so does any type of holstered carry, comes to that, as a dismaying number of people (from an instructor's perspective, at least) seem to consider their holster carry methods basically as a convenient way to tote a weapon around, but they don't invest the time to learn how to safely use the holster for drawing & presentation, let alone under stress and duress. (This presumes they've actually chosen a good quality holster that's suitable for their anticipated needs and circumstances.)

Granted, admittedly I can make these observations because I was fortunate enough to have spent many years of my LE career also serving as a firearms instructor, which gave me virtually unfettered opportunities to practice using my pocket-holster carry methods and weapons on a live-fire range. I spent a lot of time practicing drawing from both front pants pockets and jacket pockets.

Now, just tucking a small snub revolver or pocket pistol into a pocket holster, for ease of carry, without investing the time and effort to see if you could get some training in an appropriate class, as well as arranging to practice what you've learned - (in both safe & controlled live-fire conditions and off the range with an empty weapon ingraining the pocket draw & presentation under a variety of circumstances) - might introduce some difficulties under real world circumstances. Understandably.

The same can easily be said for OWB, IWB & AIWB carry methods, too. Training, learning and recurrent practice are helpful and important, and if ingrained, can often be "accessed" without having to devote a critical part of your conscious thought to trying to figure things out when it might otherwise be diverted and distracted by stress. ;)

glock1097, Mtnfolk75, yep380 and 2 others like this.
  8. ftlupton

ftlupton

I have J frames and a couple LCR's, love em, don't edc them. The guys at the range always ask me why I shoot the LCP virtually every trip(4 days a week). I know it like the back of my hand, out to 20 feet I am quick and on target and I shoot Underwood Extreme Penetrators. Am satisfied.

bowzette likes this.
  9. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

S&W 637, front right pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

light, concealable, and ultra reliable.

carry it there 365 days a year, everywhere it’s legal to do so.

BobCZ, JimmyCat and yep380 like this.
  10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

11. clancy

clancy

Those grips will cover the grip safety on my Model 42, I am looking for aftermarket grips that won't do so.

[​IMG]

12. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

13. Berto

Berto woo woo

I use a number of snubby revolvers, though 99% of the time it's a 442-2 in a Nemesis or UM pocket holster, loaded with +p buffalo bore all copper ammo.
    For MTB out of town in the woods, that might be the LCR .357 loaded with 145gr Silvertips, or road riding into Seattle, the Taurus 'no view' with same buffalo bore .38sp load. All supported by an hks speedloader using the BB ammo.
    The reason: they work extremely well.

fxstchewy, Mtnfolk75 and JimmyCat like this.
  14. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

D4B790A6-CE8D-4C29-ACF3-C4AB34311C18.jpeg 431PD in back pocket holster. 6 dependable rounds of .32 magnum goodness. (That’s not the holster. )

15. powernoodle

powernoodle

Ease of carry.

[​IMG]

JimmyCat, azbuckeye, BobCZ and 2 others like this.
  16. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

Convenient and easy to carry. I'm in Arizona so my 442 gets carried when I'm dressing in lighter clothes such as t-shirt and shorts.

John_AZ and JimmyCat like this.
  17. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I carry a 637 air weight appendix, it’s comfortable, and I shoot it well. I also carry a speed strip in my front right pocket. 8FE267A2-1037-4065-BEB1-7E7BCA3DD136.jpeg

John_AZ, Mtnfolk75 and JimmyCat like this.
  18. Jerry52

Jerry52

M and P 357 with mid range loads front coat pocket winter time lwb summer, advise you get a coat from goodwill and practice shooting trucks pocket

19. dbuck47

dbuck47

1. As others have mentioned, you can discretely have your hand on the butt of your weapon in many situations such as front coat pocket on a cold night walk.

2. Anytime I remotely consider appendix carry.

3. Hip pocket of my jeans when fishing from the pool bank( first round up is CCI shotshell)

4. When you don’t need a gun

Most other times I would prefer some sort of 9mm Glock

20. rock_castle

rock_castle "Give me liberty or give me death!"

I'm guessing most do it because its lightweight, reliable, and easy to pocket carry.

jr24 likes this.