What are the main reasons you carry a j frame as a primary

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BACKTOGLOCK, Feb 24, 2020.

1. BACKTOGLOCK

BACKTOGLOCK

Maybe an LCR or anyone successfully pocket one of the Colt revolvers? Do you just drop it in front pocket or use a holster. Soft holster, kydex holster, or simple kydex trigger guard.

2. JK-linux

JK-linux

Main reason - size and weight. I keep mine in a cordura IWB or kydex paddle, in the same location as any other gun I carry. I'm not smart enough to do anything other than what I train to do, so keeping everything in the same spot keeps it simple for trained monkeys like me.

Mtnfolk75, captcurly, yep380 and 3 others like this.

3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I ccw a S&W Airweight in the summertime in a Cebeci IWB leather holster. Summer garb is usually one of Columbia’s PFG shirts or a polo so it just goes right over it.

yep380, JimmyCat and BACKTOGLOCK like this.
  4. F14A

F14A

Lightweight, easy to hide.

The number one reason is I will carry it all the time.

5. BACKTOGLOCK

BACKTOGLOCK

I should have asked in the title specific to those that pocket carry as that’s my only method. Currently with a plastic micro 9. Appreciate the input.

6. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Front pocket carry a 357 LCRX. Use an uncle mikes soft pocket holster, basically acts as a trigger guard, but does have a clip on it for IWB carry. Once in a while I will OWB carry it in a leather clip on holster. So light you forget it's there.

For me, it's all about conceal and comfort. I had a 45 Shield for a while, which by carry standards is a pretty light and concealable gun. I found myself leaving it on the dresser. IWB was uncomfortable, OWB would print too much in the summer.

5 in the pocket is worth more than 6 or 7 on the dresser.

7. JimmyCat

JimmyCat

S&W 442 Airweight, lightweight and reliable. Front pocket of my jeans in an Uncle Mikes #4. Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. +P for short barrels.
    Sometimes OWB in a Lobo Enhanced Pancake. Compact and light enough I always have it with me.
    DSCF1725.JPG

8. yep380

yep380

I front pocket carry a S&W 442-1 in a desantis nemesis... or did, until I started carrying my P365 (with safety) the same way more often.

The pluses for the J are:
    - Weight
    - Shape, which aids in concealment
    - Dependability
    - I shoot it reasonably well

I always use a pocket holster and have settled on the nemesis for all guns. It’s lightweight, rigid, and affordable.

As I mentioned, I now pocket carry the P365 more often, but only after adding a manual safety. The P365 is a little heavier and blockier, but the 11 rounds on board more than make up for any downside.

n2g and JimmyCat like this.
  9. clancy

clancy

I have the same pistol and holster. I carry it almost exclusively now. Are those stock grips? I want to replace the wooden grips on mine.

I tend bar for a living, and while a snub-nosed .38 certainly is not my first choice for a defensive handgun, it fits my pocket and no one knows it's there.

n2g and yep380 like this.
  10. JimmyCat

JimmyCat

The grips are Crimson Trace LG-405. I like the small air pocket between the frame and top of the grip.
    DSCF1737.JPG

NMG26 likes this.
  11. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

This. But I keep mine at 3:00, in a Nemesis holster.

12. yep380

yep380

FWIW, I’ve tried many carry methods and pocket carry is where I settle most of the time.

I’ve come to the conclusion that IWB over extended periods of time does not work for me. I do use OWB carry, but that’s only while hunting.

There are several pocket carry pluses (my opinion):
    - You can get a firing grip without drawing the weapon. This lets you be prepared without tipping your hand.

- A hand placed in the front pocket isn’t threatening and allows a situation to be de-escalated in the event that’s the direction it goes.

- Easier to conceal as its awkward to look at peoples’ pockets and most folks never do it, even if the pocket is bulging.

- Depending on the pocket, the gun won’t shake loose in a physical confrontation or while you’re running/crawling.

Mtnfolk75 and NMG26 like this.
  13. GWG19

GWG19

No gun involved.
    Put your hand in your pants pocket. Have a buddy grab you buy the wrist and have that buddy hold on tight while your hand is in your pocket. Then try to pull your hand out of your pocket.
    Next try pulling your weapon from a pants pocket while seated.
    Pocket carry only works if you see the situation unfolding.
    Coat or vest pocket is a different story.

Up close and personal where a person has hands on you. Not so well.
    You can not always control how close a person gets to you.

I know there are folks who do carry in a front pocket, but I feel like it is a bad idea.

Holster is the way to go. IWB I prefer a leather holster.
    OWB leather or Kydex doesn’t matter.

MD357, 45caldan and jr24 like this.
  14. Mister X

Mister X

Very quick and easy to draw from a pocket compared to most autoloaders. You could even fire it from inside a jacket pocket if need be. I believe Paul Harrell even has a video firing from inside the pocket of a pair of shorts. Perhaps not an ideal tactic, but it’s nice to have options and the traits that allow it to remain operational in those circumstances may be of benefit in others(any inadvertent contact).

No small auto can come close to the overall reliability of a snub revolver, especially in actual close-quarter defensive shooting conditions which have very little in common with shooting at the range or even police shootings.

Consider that civilian self-defense scenarios generally occur very suddenly and at very close-quarters unless you are playing cop and proactively and intentionally. You’ll find very few if any cases where the revolvers capacity was actually inadequate. However, shooting one-handed from an odd position, while moving or even while in contact with an attacker is likely. The snub revolver offers a quick into action, high reliable functionality and excellent weapon retention in such circumstances.

15. yep380

yep380

Speaking of carry weight (matters in the pocket):

P365 23.4oz - 11rds 124gr HST
    442 16.09oz - 5rds 130gr +p HST

I will say the P365 is easily pocket carried all day. The 442 is more easily carried though.

1smoothredneck and JimmyCat like this.
  16. ksblazer

ksblazer

Seems to fit better in my pockets and I can also grip it a little quicker in my front pocket as well.

Never has it malfunctioned on me or been ammunition sensitive.

17. yep380

yep380

To complete the scenario, should my none gun hand, knees, and feet just stand idly by? Because I guarantee you in a fight, unless they’re cut off, they won’t be.

I do agree with you that forewarning is a factor. That goes for any method of carry though; there are countless instances of folks not drawing in time from any number of locations.

clancy likes this.
  18. clancy

clancy

In the previous picture I can see the grip safety, but not in this one. Is it the same pistol or am I just missing it?
    Edit:
    Ok, I see where I made my mistake, it is a line in the grip, not the grip safety in the first picture.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  19. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

Kinda similar for me...

When I carry a small revolver, it's usually as a backup to my primary Glock 29 on the hip. The gun is an LCR357 in my front pants pocket, riding in an Uncle Mike's or Remora soft holster.
    It's comfy and comforting when you get that "five for sure" especially as a backup.
    When I can't carry the 29 for whatever reason, it's my primary method of carry.

FastEddieFL likes this.
  20. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

The 642 is lightweight and fits in my pocket better than anything I've tried.

dubsy and JimmyCat like this.