close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are the gun laws like in CT?

Discussion in 'New England Colonial Club' started by Cool Hand Hodge, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge Senior Member

My brother may be moving there and he would like to know of the gun laws in that state. Specificly are there any banned guns? He has SAR 1 Ak, Colt M4, and Springfield M1A amongst many other handguns and long guns. Also, is a Michigan CPL honored there, and whats it like to atain a CPL in that state?

2. fludy12

fludy12 Fling Wing

Well, don't know about the long guns, but NO other state permits are honored by CT. And, as a sucky result, very few other states recognize CT's permit. It's all about the $$$ in New England. Make you buy everything to "fund" the state. Plan on $94 (three separate money orders) to get your state permit to carry pistols and revolvers. You MUST get this permit to even have an unloaded firearm in your car. Do NOT show up at a shooting range without it because the range personnel may ask you for it...and if you don't have it? Some may actually call the police since the handgun/s was/were illegally transported. I actually called a few ranges and posed some hypothetical "new to CT guy" questions and I was even told that off-duty/plain clothed police can and have stopped the firing line and demanded to see everyone's permits. Don't have it and you're NOT under direct supervision of someone who does (i.e. by yourself)??? Matching bracelets and off to the commie camp! Forget about ever getting your firearms back either...

Get a non-resident temporary permit (90 days) before coming to CT (the crap thing is you pretty much have to drive through NYC-don't get pulled over!!!). Or, do what most people do, myself included (didn't know about the non-res permit when I moved here) and get them to your house and SHUT UP until you get that permit (or have a permit holder meet you at the state border and transfer them to him). That will allow you to bring them into the state and STRAIGHT to your residence. That permit is not renewable and it does not permit you to go shooting, etc. Many places (Wal Mart in Naugatuck) will NOT even sell pistol ammo without showing the state permit. Not sure if that's law or their policy... It takes 8 weeks to get the permit and is pretty much "shall issue". You have to apply through the police department in the town you live to get the temporary permit. You CAN carry on that despite what they tell you. Then you go to one of the state trooper barracks to get the "credit card" permit, which is good for 5 years. Renewals do not require going through your town and will only cost $35 (as of this time). Again, I'm new to CT, but I just went through this process. I'm not aware of any specific types of weapons (AW or otherwise) that are explicitly forbidden... Hope this helps!

edited to add: the good thing is the state permit to carry pistols and revolvers is ALSO your CCW. You also must provide a certificate proving you've had a firearms safety course signed by an approved NRA instructor with his NRA number. My town didn't care what state it was done in and my course from Gunsite in Arizona worked just fine.

3. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

U.S. Government and Connecticut

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms: http://www.atf.treas.gov/

Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (CT): http://www.bfpe.state.ct.us/

Bureau of Justice Statistics: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/

FedStats: http://www.fedstats.gov/

Justice Information Center: http://www.ncjrs.org/

National Institutes of Health: http://www.nih.gov/

CT State Police (CSP) Special Licensing & Firearms Unit: http://www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/index.html

CSP Pistol Permit Statutes: http://www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/ConnecticutStatutesPistolPermits.htm

CSP Firearms Statutes: http://www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/ConnecticutStatutesFirearms.htm

4. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

No AK's allowed, no Colt AR's, and nothing with either a telescoping stock, bayonet lug, or flash hider.

No magazine restrictions as of now.

But, there are so many antigun bills that have just been proposed I wouldn't be surprised if the police will be going door to door collecting before the end of the year.

Be sure to join the Coalition of CT Sportsmen. They are the only reason why we are still allowed to own any guns at all.

www.ctsportmen.com

5. fludy12

fludy12 Fling Wing

Guess my SKSs are out because they have a flash hider and bayonet lug. Oh, good Lord, one has a synthetic EVIL black folding stock as well. :upeyes:

Glad I stocked up on high cap (i.e. STANDARD) magazines while still down in Florida.

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised either based on the VERY anti-gun stance I got from the Naugatuck police department. And the frackin' thing is the poliezitatzi will know EXACTLY where to hit first. All the good people that actually took the time, frustration and money to be legal to carry in CT are now DOCUMENTED. Again... :upeyes:

harlenm,

I'm relatively new to CT, so what are these anti-gun laws/bills that have been proposed? Anything that looks like it might have the momentum to pass? Are they actually considering a no shiite confiscation/outright ban on handguns?

6. harlenm

No confiscation as of now, but who knows in the future.

This is just off the top of my head what they are proposing.

Stolen guns must be reported within 72 hours of "when you should have known" the guns were stolen. If a gun is found on the street before you report it stolen, you are automatically convicted of an illegal gun transfer, which is a felony.

Limit of one gun purchase per month.

Must have state pistol permit to buy ammunition.

Must have state license to sell ammunition, ie., no private sales of ammo.

No "straw" purchases of ammo, like above.

I'm sure there are more. Visit the site in my above post and please, join.

7. fludy12

fludy12 Fling Wing

So, what happens if your house gets broken into and you're on a two week cruise to Alaska or something? On Vacation? Holidays? How does one prove "should have known"? :upeyes:

Well, at least I'm not rich enough for this to really affect me, but it still sucks.

Don't have too much of a problem with the permit/ammo thing since everyone in CT is already required to have the state pistol permit to carry or otherwise transport a pistol, even just to the range, unloaded in the trunk of a car... The GOOD thing is that permit is also the state CCW permit, which I would have gotten anyway.

Darn it, I tried ctsportsmen.com, but the link (or the site) is down...

edited to add: The site works, but your link was mispelled. Left out the second "S" between sport and men. :tongueout:

8. harlenm

Whoops, sorry about the spelling error.

The "should have known" clause is the major problem. Who is to determine when you "should have" known. And it doesn't matter. If your gun is stolen right after you leave for work in the morning, and used in a crime in the afternoon, and the person is caught with it, it's already too late as you are now a felon. The wording is horrible, and very dangerous.

As for the permit to buy ammo, what if you are buying ammo for a gun that you don't need a permit for? If they say it's for handgun ammo only, what if you have a rifle that takes handgun ammo? Do you need to bring in a note to buy ammo? It's a horrible idea. Plus, what if you are going shooting with someone that doesn't have a permit, and they want to stop and buy ammo? They can't.

Or if I buy ammo, and want to give it as a gift, or sell it to someone, that would be outlawed. I just sold 360 rounds of .223 to someone, and that would make me criminal?

This state is a joke. I plan on calling my senators and reps tomorrow to voice my opinion.

9. gt656

gt656 havin' fun

holy crap!

i know massachusetts is bad, but ct has a few things on us.

it is so refreshing when i travel to my camp in maine. i can walk into any store that sells ammo and buy no questions asked. have not bought any ammo in nh or vt, but i am guessing it is similar.

i know it is a different attitude with hunting being more common in the northern states, but i wish it was not so anti-gun in southern new england

10. DB79

DB79

I have never been ID'd for buying ammo YET. But, I just ordered a new AR and it is going to take a couple weeks to receive as extra gunsmithing is required at the manufacter to meet CT laws.

11. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

GOOD LORD! :shocked:

My GF is from CT and I never knew the laws were that bad up there! So much for us buying a house up there......

12. Tvov

Tvov

Those are "proposals", not law right now. I think most people would be shocked if they made the effort to find out what proposals are pending in their own state legislature.

There are groups in CT working to keep things in check, and they do a pretty good job.

I have never had any problem buying ammo. There are shooting ranges open to the public all over CT, and an amazing amount of private clubs that are very happy (usually!) to accept new members. If you make the effort to find out, and especially if you work through a club, you will find there is a surprising amount of land available for hunting, both public and private.

A LOT of people in CT have pistol permits and carry, you just don't see it (which is required with concealed carry!). CT may be more "low key" than other states, but a lot of people here are active in the shooting sports.

I have lived here my whole life, so maybe I am just used to the way things work, but I have never had any problem buying guns, buying ammo, going to ranges, carrying pistols concealed, etc.

Just a little plug for little 'ol Connecticut after all the negative press here! (lol)

13. fludy12

fludy12 Fling Wing

Tvov,
    I actually like it here in CT, but coming from AZ,FL, the whole "anti-gun" attitude is a bit repressive. I even got a "talkin' to" by the cop in my town when I had to get fingerprinted for the temporary permit. He actually told me to abandon firearms as a "hobby" and just take up golf or tennis because "people like me" make his job harder. More guns on the street. :upeyes:

Um, I'd think the guy that actually takes the time to go through training, provide proof, pay $94 in stupid fees, get fingerprinted, background check, time and effort is the LAST person with a gun he should be worrying about. I know people here that just hop on over to NYC and buy them out of a trunk from some "guy"... I've had the opportunity to do it myself, but I never would risk it.

14. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

Your SKS is fine in CT. The requirement is that the gun can only have 2 of the listed features...... those being a detachable magazine, a flash hider, a bayonet lug,a collapsible stock, or a hand grip protruding below the firearm. Your SKS has only 2, so it is good to go.

15. fludy12

fludy12 Fling Wing

Well, three actually... Flash hider, bayonet lug, and folding stock. I also have the provision to convert it to use detachable magazines, but put back to stock configuration due to reliability issues.

16. ctpistol

ctpistol

CT is not as anti-gun as you guys think! May cops everywhere are anti-ccw. Just smile and go through the process...think to yourself -- "if I wanted an educated opinion I would ask someone smarter than you, officer, like a gym teacher"

Many here shoot, many collect, and it is a shall issue state. Not bad (haha) considering its wedged between two of the most backward states going (NY/MASS)

Fludy - dont kid yourself about Naugatuck being "whitebread".. It has plenty of crime and seems to me Waterbury has slowly taken over.

There are indoor ranges on Rt 25 in Monroe and Rt 7 in New Milford also for hourly rates.

For a place to do it all check out the Hartford gun club.

enjoy!

17. fludy12

fludy12 Fling Wing

Yeah, sorry about the "whitebread" comment... I was referencing the officer's attitude about how he couldn't possibly see why I wanted to get a pistol permit. Like he felt "nothing bad" ever happens and they'll always be around to protect us. I thought about asking what their average response time to a 911 call is at 3 in the morning. Or making some other smart assed remark, but I thought better of it. Just get through it... :supergrin:

edited to add: I looked up the sex offender database for my zip code when I first got here. Holy cow there's a lot of them. Close by, too... :upeyes:

18. minus

minus

The range in Bridgeport is way better. IMO

19. usmc4641

usmc4641 NRA member

The one gun a month thing is not true, nor is the permit to buy ammo. You have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo is all. You can do that with a driver's license. I live in Naugatuck, where I got my temp permit originally. 5 weeks, no hassles at all.
    The only thing off kilter I have noticed about the LE was in Bridgeport when talking about ccw and a state trooper said "Spoken like a man who loves the first amendment." Just nod and smile.

20. harlenm

Those aren't laws, they were proposed laws.