What are some very "Texan/Dallas-y" things to do in Dallas?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jtmac, Feb 5, 2013.

1. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

In April, I'm going to receive a friend visiting from out of the country. Her plane lands at DFW, so before we head out to longer-term destinations, we may take her out to see things in Dallas that weekend. She's been to the US once before for a few weeks, but it was all Yankeeland (no offense to our northern brethren--well, maybe a little) so I want to do what I can to give her some exposure to the area.

She really doesn't like being a tourist (something I can relate to), so all the tourist traps and their kitsch are right out. As much as I love Texas, I really don't have any ideas about what we can do/where we can eat that are really unique to Texas or Dallas (at least, not anything that's not tourist-y). I mean, yeah, "miles of franchises dotting urban sprawl" really defines Dallas pretty well, but that just doesn't seem like the thing to see.

I'd love to snag some Dallas GTers and meet, but unfortunately this really won't be an appropriate time for it. :crying:

Any suggestions?

2. John43

John43

Try Main Street BBQ in Euless, next to the airport. Texas Motor Speedway used to let you take a ride on the track. JFK memorial. They usually have some gun shows going on at least every five or six weeks somewhere in the area.

3. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

Take her to the Farmer's Market. That isn't touristy, but it is uniquely Tex-American. Eric

4. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

What's your food budget? Dallas or FtW side?

Sundance Square in downtown Ft Worth is a good night spot.

5. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

6. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Pee on a picture of jerry jones?

7. Minnow

Minnow

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

9. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

If you want a very good meal from a restaurant with a name she will likely never forget, take her to Love and War in Texas. One of the two locations is right by DFW airport. The food and decor is uniquely Texan and very good. Get her a t-shirt while you are there. It will be a conversation starter, when she gets back home.

If there in old stocky black guy with a face like a Bassett Hound on duty (he is the assistant manager) and you want to have some fun, covertly tell him it is her birthday and slip him ten bucks. At some point in your meal, he will sneak up behind her and begin singing Happy Birthday at the top of his lungs. In addition to the unique sound of his very loud, gravelly bass voice, he drags the song out so that it takes several minutes to complete. I can guarantee you that she will never forget tat THAT Texas experience. Eric

10. lavon_andy

lavon_andy

Depends on what you/her are into.

Can always go ride the bull at Cowboys Red River, the Cowboys in Arlington is a bit more Texas and a bit less yuppie though.

Cruising Downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum are pretty fun as well.

Both of those fall into the "drink heavily and then pass out" type of adventure though.

You should definetly take her to get some good Mexican food though, no chains! There's a nice place in Allen called "Jalapenos" that is pretty much family owned and is reasonably priced and not all gimmicky and crappy like most chains.

Edit: doesn't love and war have live music on the weekends as well? That sounds like a winner to me lol

11. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

They also have a Plano location I frequented.

Knox Henderson exit off 75 has lots of local restaurants if you can handle yuppies.

12. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Wow, you guys deliver, and fast! There are some great suggestions here. I'm going to make a list and we'll see what she thinks when she gets here.

Eric, I can just about guarantee ahead of time that one of the suggestions you made will happen. Even if she doesn't seem interested I'm going to insist since I'm sure she'll enjoy it. You're definitely on the right wavelength.

We're definitely sticking to "typical middle class" dinner budgets. She's not paying and Dallas is going to have the fanciest digs out of all other places we're going, but I know she'd feel terrible if I spent any sizable amount of money. She's so afraid of putting someone out that doing something for her is like pulling teeth, even when it's something she needs.

We're going to be on the Dallas side, but if diversion calls out from Fort Worth the little bit of distance won't stop anything. Traffic in rush hour may give pause, but that just takes planning. Sundance Square, in particular, looks a little more commercial than I was considering but researching it does suggest that it has some character to it. It's certainly on my list.

13. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

14. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

If she likes shopping (or just looking), take her to the Galleria. Some decent places to eat there as well.

have fun!

- jim

15. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Snuffer's on Greenville for the best "morning after" burgers and especially Cheddar Fries in Dallas. http://www.snuffers.com/ You are down the street from SMU, so seeing the campus and/or the Highland/University Park neighborhoods and Turtle Creek parks is a nice option if you like sightseeing.

For the best fried chicken on the planet, Babe's in Roanoke. It's a haul, but it's sooo authentically Texas, inexpensive, fun, and delicious that I put in a plug for it with whomever asks about DFW. None who have followed my advice have ever been disappointed. http://www.babeschicken.com/our-kitchens/roanoke/

Angelo's BBQ in Ft. Worth. Very, very good. http://www.angelosbbq.com/index2.html

Hit Pappasito's in DFW airport before you leave. It's a chain, but a hugely successful one and has fantastic Tex-Mex food, and the best fajitas I've had. http://pappasitos.com/location/?id=118

16. knotquiteawake

knotquiteawake

For BBQ I will Second the Euless North Main place, also up there on the good BBQ scale is Hard 8's in Coppell.

My wife and I's favorite place to eat for a nice night out is Gloria's, there are several locations around Dallas. Its Salvadoran food (the Currasco Typico is the best plate there IMO). Dinner is usually about $50-60 with drinks for two.

While not terribly "Texan-like" the Dallas Aquarium is pretty amazing, I took my out of town parents there. Its more like an indoor zoo, mostly open air, animals swinging from tree to tree... very few aquariums there actually.

Really, after 4 years living in the DFW metroplex I have to say that for "Texan" you need to head west a bit and into Ft. Worth. Dallas is a lot more metro/urban. Like, the stockyards in Ft. Worth don't get much more Texan.

Someone else mentioned downtown Grapevine. I agree! I went there on a date with my now wife and it was a lot of fun walking down the street. I think its "Historic Grapevine" or something like that. Its pretty smalltown texan feeling on that street.

17. cyphertext

cyphertext

There is a Babe's in Garland too, since you are on this side of the metroplex.

18. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Got a cousin with you?

:couch:

19. JBnTX

JBnTX

Just drop her off at my house...:devildance:

20. Southmansfield

Southmansfield

Make the drive west to Ft Worth. Take her to the Stockyards. Eat dinner at Joe T Garcias. Dance at Billy Bobs.