close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What are rock concerts like? (Knot Fest)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jeremy_283, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jeremy_283

jeremy_283

I've never been to a rock concert so I'm not sure if I should dump the $100 it takes to go to knotfest (with my friends) with slipknot, deftones, lamb of god, dethklok, serj tankian, cannibal corpse, the urge, prong, etc. (metal bands). I'm not one to jump up and down, I don't smoke, and I don't drink :wavey:. I do listen to this music though on occasion (I listen to just about everything).

What can be expected if I do go?

Think it'd be worth it?

2. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Think about the bands you've listed.
    Think about their extreme fans- not the casual fans.
    Think about drugs and alcohol in the mix
    Would you like to be in a large, dark place with those people?

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I went to see White Zombie in 1994 or so. They are definitely heavy metal. It was at a college in San Jose, CA. We sat in the back up in the seats, had a great time. The hell raisers were all out on the floor in the mosh pit. I saw lots of banging around in there, but absolutely nothing away from there. Great concert, had a good time. It was an afternoon concert, but they had the lights down in the auditorium and it was dark like you said. But still... not one "issue" that I saw.

I've been to 2 Metallica concerts too. Same thing. You get on the floor in front of the band, and it's crazy. A little further back, and nothing at all but music and enjoyment.

And I'm definitely "white bread" and what you might call "a square". I drink alcohol (within reason), but no smoking and NO drugs.

If you've never been to a concert, and like those bands... I'd give it a shot. But if you're looking for the tame approach, stay away from the mosh pits.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

This.

Even tame bands - I can't be bothered. I guess I'm at that age where if I was going, I wanna know EXACTLY what is going on. As I age, the aversion to large crowds increases. Baseball is the only thing that keeps me coming back to large crowds.

5. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

That's an all day, outside show. In August. Your worst enemy will be heat and humidity. Stay hydrated and hang back far enough from the stage so as to not get dragged into a mosh. Enjoy.

6. Radam3

Radam3

I've seen almost all the bands you listed before, most of them more than once... A hundred bucks is kinda steep for one show, but with some of the bigger names you listed, to see them all separately, would cost you a bunch more than that.

Like has already been stated; its crazy up front on the floor, not so much in the back on the floor, even less so in the seats. In my younger days, I was always right up front. Although it is crazy, "metalheads" take care of each other. You fall, everyone around you will be right there helping you up. You want out of the front, they will either lift you up and let you crowd surf out, or clear a path to the back for you. Etc. etc. etc...

I rarely drink and do no drugs, yet I still have a blast at shows. If you like the music, you WILL have a good time. Just start out in the back (or in the seats if it is all general admission) and get as close as you feel comfortable with.

Regardless of where you are, BRING EAR PLUGS! It is LOUD everywhere! In my younger days I laughed at the people wearing ear plugs. For the past few years, I bring multiple sets in case I lose one (you'll want to take them out during set changes) and your ears will thank you. Mine would be ringing from the point I walked out of the venue till literally days later, when I didn't wear any. When I do, walking out of the venue, pull them out, and NO ringing. Well worth it IMO.

Have fun, I'm off to look for when said tour will be around me!:rock:

ETA: Bummer it's a one day only event (two days in a row) too far away for me to go to

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. mhmills

mhmills

Just hang out in the back with the pot heads and you'll be fine. Slipknot puts on a great show.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

A concert (opening band then the headliner, all in one night) and a festival (multiple bands doing short sets over 2-3 days) are very different things.

Both can be great but just understand they are two different things.

9. jeremy_283

jeremy_283

$100 is for gas expense, tickets, and a hotel room. It's a 6 hour drive one way.

10. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

No band on that bill is worth a 12 hour round trip. :faint:

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

12. jeremy_283

jeremy_283

I know, but 8 bands is :supergrin:

13. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

Drugs, alcohol and high decibel levels.

14. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Lamb of God and slipknot are amazing in concert. Deftones are much better on their studio albums or maybe their sound guy sucked when I saw them. But definately go see Lamb Of God and slipknot

15. imSteve

imSteve NRA Benefactor

bring E A R P L U G S! [since you do not self medicate]

I saw Iron Maiden several years ago, my seat was about 45 ft from a speaker cluster. The concert was over at 10:51 pm - at 3:47 am my ears were still ringing.

...I don't drink or smoke either. That's why I know the concert was over at 10:51.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  16. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

How old are you, Son?

17. jp3975

jp3975

The people saying no probably haven been. If some of you are so worried about people doing drugs and alcohol, you'd best stay at home from now on and cower in fear with a gun in your hand at the ready.

Ive seen 12 year olds at such concerts. You will be fine so long as you dont act a fool, climb on stage and jump off or something crazy like that. Ive never seen anyone injured who wasnt at fault for their injury.

Ive been to quite a few concerts and if you are a fan of the band you're going to see, it will be an amazingly cool experience.

Better than these big concerts imo, is being a fan of a band small enough to play a club or small venue. Typically you can meet the band or even hang out with them at such shows.

Do bring ear plugs as others have said. If you dont, your ears will ring afterwards.

18. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Just go. You might have fun while you're there. Wear earplugs.

19. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Funniest post of the year.
    I'm a musician and have been to more concerts that I can count.
    Times have changed my friend. Concerts aren't friendly events full of mellow pot heads any longer, particularly with the aforementioned bands..

20. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Well, when I went to the Rammstein concert there was fire. LOTS of fire.... oh and sex toys, LOTS of sex toys being passed out by the band.

Oh did I mention the silly bible thumpers protesting outside, they were kind enough to let my GF and I know that homosexuals, atheists, rock fans, adulterers, and intolerant people are all going to hell. :rofl: