Glock Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday, and tried the ISPC shot timer app. With a G20, Underwood 200 XTP, I did a 10 shot string, and all were either .16 or .17. Is that any good? I don't shoot competitively. :50cal:

·
Registered
14,620 Posts
A good split is kind of like asking what's a pretty girl look like, it depends on who you ask. As for the splits a good split time depends on what you're doing. For your 10 rounds did you just blaze away, shoot at a target, transition between targets? If you were shooting at a target were all your hits As?

Since I don't know what you did I'll tell you what I've done and you can compare.
4 paper targts, two rounds per target and one steel popper total 9 rounds starting from low ready my time is around 7.4. if you do the math that makes my splits .82.
Another example steel plates, 6 plates and 4 strings. Total time was 10.30 so my splits were .43.

I'm not all that good at the games I play but I'm better than a lot of shooters too, but like everyone not as good as I'd like.

A better measure a lot of us use is time to first shot then splits time. Typically it's two rounds on target and transition to the next target. If you fire two rounds per target and transition you can look at time to first shot then split time, and transition time to the next target. Factor in where you hits are and work on improving. You can also do the hit % like USPSA, how many points are you getting per second?

So taking the long way around based on your sub .2 seconds splits you're way faster than me and my .4 second splits on a plate rack and I thought I was smoking hot when I did it.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Depends... and good's relative.

I don't compete either.

For me, from a low ready:
- 0.5 sec. up and acquire the front sight.
- 0.5 sec. spot the front sight and engage the trigger.
- 0.5 sec. surprise-fire trigger press double-tap.
- 1.0 sec. for each additional target.

If I can do that, and keep my hits inside of 3" at 10 yards 8" at 25 yards?

...I'm a happy camper. :supergrin:

Nutter

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was one paper target, 20 feet away. All but one of them were in the 2 ring. Blazing away with a stock trigger, if that means anything. I just thought the consistency was good.

·
Mostly IDPA now
1,136 Posts
A good split is kind of like asking what's a pretty girl look like, it depends on who you ask. As for the splits a good split time depends on what you're doing.
This is right on target. :supergrin:

IMHO your splits are pretty good with Glock in 10mm at the distance you shot. I don't have a clue what a 2 ring is, but assume it's pretty good as well.

Do a search for IPSC/USPSA Drills and see what par times are. May not specify split times. but can give you and idea. Try "Bill Drill" and/or "El Presidente".

I haven't actually timed my splits in a long time, but I do remember something like .10-.13 with a 2011 in .40. I think I did check splits with a Glock 22 at one time and it was around .15-.16.

When I first started IPSC I remember shooting with some folks that sounded like they were on full auto at times, so checked my times a few times early on. I came to realize after shooting for some time that splits don't mean a lot if you don't hit, so I didn't really check anymore.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is right on target. :supergrin:

IMHO your splits are pretty good with Glock in 10mm at the distance you shot. I don't have a clue what a 2 ring is, but assume it's pretty good as well.

Do a search for IPSC/USPSA Drills and see what par times are. May not specify split times. but can give you and idea. Try "Bill Drill" and/or "El Presidente".

I haven't actually timed my splits in a long time, but I do remember something like .10-.13 with a 2011 in .40. I think I did check splits with a Glock 22 at one time and it was around .15-.16.

When I first started IPSC I remember shooting with some folks that sounded like they were on full auto at times, so checked my times a few times early on. I came to realize after shooting for some time that splits don't mean a lot if you don't hit, so I didn't really check anymore.
Thank you, sir. I will do more research. The whole idea was how fast I could do a (half) mag dump at 7 yards, and what the accuracy would be. However good the times may or may not be, my attacker would still be swiss cheese at 7 yards. :supergrin: I shot with another GT'er who had a G34, and his times were surely twice as fast. I suppose I need more trigger time.

·
Registered
14,620 Posts
I'd work on time to first shot, two rounds per target and transitions to another target. See if you can find the lay out of some USPSA qualifiers set them up and shoot them. you'll get much more meaningful feed back than simply shooting as fast as you can at a static target.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.