What animal might have killed my friend's dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Inyo Tim, Apr 6, 2020.

1. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

OGW and Inyo Tim like this.
  2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I, too, vote for a four-legged creature. Flying animals prefer to take their food, and wouldn’t bite the head off, before flight.

Bren and Inyo Tim like this.

3. OGW

OGW SAF

AdamRodgers likes this.
  4. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

No problem, I never would have thought it either till one night my friend and I were out coon hunting. We heard this awful racket and a G.H Owl had a dang full grown possum pined to the ground.

We shined it with the spotlight and that rascal took off with that possum like it was a squirrel or something small like that in it's talons, it impressed me how strong it was.

Inyo Tim and OGW like this.
  5. pspez

pspez

We have coyotes here. My wife and I went for a walk yesterday and found 1/2 of a cat. I never liked that cat anyway! LOL

6. Deltic

Deltic

Well then you might have a world record size owl.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blakiston's_fish_owl
    "The maximum wingspan of the Blakiston's fish owl is also greater than any known eagle-owl. The wingspan range known for Blakiston's fish owls is 178 to 190 cm (5 ft 10 in to 6 ft 3 in).[5] It is possible the largest specimens can attain a wingspan of approximately 200 cm (6 ft 7 in).[12] The Blakiston's is noticeably larger than the other three extant species of fish owl.[4][8]

AdamRodgers likes this.
  7. OGW

OGW SAF

That got me to remember when I lived in northern MN, I was following a snowshoe hare track in the woods behind my house and the track ended abruptly and there were wingtip prints in the snow on each side, assumed it was an owl. On very rare occasion I'd see a great gray owl, bigger than a GH owl. Always wondered what snagged that hare. They don't weigh near what a 'possum does.

fjrdc, AdamRodgers and Inyo Tim like this.
  8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I wonder if that was what was on the roof of my house one night? I had just moved into my house earlier in the week, and I woke up in the middle of the night to some loud noises just above the bedroom on the roof. I went outside with a flashlight and was shocked to see a a HUGE owl. I threw some rocks at him to get him off the roof and he glided down to the back yard next to a tree. I don't think my estimate of his height at 4ft tall is inaccurate because he was right next to a small tree that had enough markings to later measure and get a height. I'd never seen an owl so big before. looking at the pics online it sure looks like that's what it was, but I didn't know they got so big. for sure a bird like that could carry away a small dog. And by the way, he was not even threatened by me, even standing in the back yard. He seemed more annoyed.

location was twin cities, MN.

fjrdc and Inyo Tim like this.
  9. Vito

Vito

When the OP said that there are no coyotes around, what he really means is that he has not seen any. There are coyotes everywhere, even in urban areas.

10. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

it's funny you say this. I was talking to my 11y/o daughter this week, and let her know that there are coyotes behind our house, and let her listen to an audio recording of the coyotes made by a neighbor earlier in the week. And I told her, unlike our old house, you need to be aware.

She said:

"Come on dad! I was careful at the old house too! I heard the coyotes at night there too! "

I lived at that house for more than 20y, and NEVER saw a coyote. Saw fox, pheasants, lots of deer and turkeys, even a porcupine, but NEVER a coyote. But they were there. I just never heard them. But she did.

Rotn1 and fjrdc like this.
  11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

12. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Thats not my owl type.. its in wisconsin. I identified it once by its noise on a dnr website.. grey and brown.. huge body. Its quite large but not for its species..

13. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Brother to me part of the issue is the term, "coyote" itself. They vary so much in appearance, size, pack behaviors etc. across the country that the term is somewhat ambiguous. Yotes cross breeding with dogs and wolves adds even more flavor and ambiguity to the soup. Suburban and urban coyotes add hot sauce to the mix. I live in Dallas 10 minutes from downtown.......there is an active and fairly visible coyote population right here. Anyone familiar with the area.......I flashlight or otherwise spot them at the waterfall/arch thingy just south of Inwood and Royal at night. They are all over Dallas, however.

We have a big place in Middle-West Texas given that - I've killed a small mountain of coyotes over the years. I never weighed any but I'd bet the biggest male I put down weight less than 55 pounds. Of all of the males I'd bet the average was 35 plus or minus a little. Contrast that with some I've seen along the Red River that have to weigh 90ish pounds. I'm betting the bigger ones are hybrids.

I have zero doubt there are coyotes than can handle a 6 foot fence. Heck, we had a Canaan Dogo - dog who could have.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    cbetts1, AdamRodgers and Inyo Tim like this.
  14. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

+1. Long ago in NW Arkansas one of our dogs cornered a racoon in the hollow of a tree trunk. Long story short the racoon savaged our bluetick, "Annie" so badly she was at the vet's for three days. Annie and other blueticks dispatched the racoon but the female racoon went out fighting hard all three dogs involved looked like they'd been through a small war.

A few years later we had a very similar thing happen with a bird dog who cornered a squirrel. The squirrel died but the dog went to the vet.

AdamRodgers and Inyo Tim like this.
  15. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

In this part of the country coyotes take dogs for food all the time.

paynter2 and pAZ Ron like this.
  16. Descendant

Descendant

Nci4UfJ.jpg

Can't upload the video, but here's a snapshot of dogs climbing a fence
    https://i.imgur.com/Nci4UfJ.mp4
    click on the above link to view the video

Inyo Tim, AdamRodgers and paynter2 like this.
  17. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

In my part of the country, so do wolves. One woman was interviewed on TV saying she saw a bobcat take 'fluffy' off of her deck! Some critters see dogs only as food.

I remember seeing a video - maybe here on GT. It was a long time ago. A small dog got too far from the safety of the house. A coyote came out of the dark and grabbed it. Lucky for the small dog, it had a Rottweiler friend. That big dog took off after the coyote and the small dog was released.

.264 magnum, Inyo Tim and AdamRodgers like this.
  18. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

19. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

cbetts1, .264 magnum and AdamRodgers like this.
  20. Rotn1

Rotn1