close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What ammo do you generally use for plinking?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by drequeen, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:11 PM.

1. drequeen

drequeen

Bought a Glock 23 yesterday, and it's the only 40 cal I have, so I'm looking to stock up a little on ammo. I can obviously buy many different types to find what works the best, but was curious to see if I could find some kind of consensus on what works well for everyday plinking.

Man, is it nice to own a Glock again...Been a while.

MikeG36 likes this.
  2. barth

barth six barrels

Lots of good internet sites.
    SGAmmo, GunBot...
    Usually buy by the case with no tax and free shipping.
    40 S&W is everywhere, you shouldn't have a problem.

3. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

I been shooting cheap Russian steel cased ammo works great and is cheap scored some Tula at Walmart for $7.86 or so a box of 50 I bought all they had LOL sgammo is my go to place chepnand quick shipping...

4. Fatalogptwgjdep

Fatalogptwgjdep

Cabelas had a decent sale recently on Remington. Not sure if it's still going. Freedom munitions has always been good to me. Only ammo I've ever had an issue shooting in any firearm was PPU. However I've reloaded the brass and has no issues with it. It was the PPU HP that were semi jacketed. Otherwise, but cheap, shoot often.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Whatever is least expensive. Seriously. It does not matter.

Somewhere around this level
    [​IMG]
    is where people will be able to say what brand of ammunition works best and then they may further break it down into a favorite lot.

With a Glock (and not that it is not a fine handgun) most people most of the time
    will be fine with about any new commercial ammunition that feeds properly and may pick something based on being cleaner that some other choices or avoiding steel cased ammunition. But least expensive can be a good parameter too.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM
    slamdunc and smokey45 like this.
  6. PeterG

PeterG

I use Blazer aluminum, Federal aluminum and Federal bulk in brass, all in 180gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Benchrst

Benchrst

8. Schrag4

Schrag4

Whatever's cheapest. My own reloads, but I shot cheap Russian steel cases stuff before that. No issues other than smelling funny.

9. Schrag4

Schrag4

Is that the price for 9 or for 40? Either way, prices have come down quite a bit since the election.

10. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

9mm not sure what the price of .40 was but probably cheap as well..

11. OBG17

OBG17

for .380, 9mm, & 45 ACP I use Federal, Fiocchi, or S&B. For 9x18 Makarov I use Red Army Standard or S&B.

12. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

I buy target ammo loaded by my local gun shop. It is a little cheaper than Winchester white box, butt burns far more cleanly. One day I fired over 300 rounds. Took only five minute to clean my Glock when I got home.

13. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

90 % of the ammunition I shoot through all my firearms is cast lead,including Glocks. SJ 40

happie2shoot and WeeWilly like this.
  14. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

I was told never to fire unjacketed lead bullets through a Glock because it compresses the bullet and you cannot clean the lead residue left behind and it will eventually foul the firearm.

15. Camdenbullit52

Camdenbullit52

You can play all day at the range when you can buy 9mm Tula for $7.60 a box!

16. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

YuP I was told much the same over 25 years ago about the Glock platform and I made my decision and the 9's,40's and 45's barrels clean up spotless.
    None have had problem one due to the use of cast lead,fact is I wish more firearms manufactures would use polygonal rifling in there guns as they clean up much more easily than traditional button rifling. SJ 40

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 11:31 PM
    happie2shoot and WeeWilly like this.
  17. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Despite the admonition about lead in Glocks, a buddy does it all the time without issue. Personally, I can't hit a barn from the inside with anything but jacketed ammo in Glocks. I'd rather not breathe the lead in any case.
    A lot of the cost of ammo is in the throweight of metal, both in material and shipping. For little cost difference, I'd rather shoot .45s. YMMV.
    Moon

18. bea175

bea175

19. bigpapaFLA

bigpapaFLA

not sure but there was a barrel made for Glock just for shooting lead cant remember the name wasn't interested. I have bought most of my plinking ammo at our local gun shows from Georgia Arms. No problems and they carry a good selection sold in bulk.

20. Rustyx111

Rustyx111

I have had very good luck with a firm called Maine Ammo Company https://www.maineammocompany.com/ which deals in bulk ammo. I've purchased 380, 40 & 45 ammo and have had excellent luck with all of it. Very nice to deal with if you have questions. I've also used Cheaper Than Dirt (https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/) and Midway (https://www.midwayusa.com/), also with very good luck. I must admit, that I have a fondness for Maine Ammo Company as they are small and work very hard to put out a great product. Worth the time to check them out I think. Good luck & happy shooting!