Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occurred to me that certain things actually amaze me. Amaze is the best description I can think of. I can think of 3 things right off the top of my head.

1) People who smoke. It's not 1950 any longer and all of the dirt is out there. They are very hard on your physical appearance and health. They make your clothes stink and the ashes and butts are gross too. Even if they were healthy, the cost factor would be something to consider.:dunno:

2) People who think it's okay to litter. I really don't get it at all? Why pollute or litter the area you live in? It looks bad and empty plastic bags hanging from the trees and choking waterways can't be a good thing. It's not that hard to properly dispose of things even if you're not inclined to recycle.

3) People who insist on having large dogs in an urban setting. I know that there are responsible pet owners who walk them regularly, keep them clean and groomed, etc. but I've always thought they need room to roam. I see too many penned up in tiny quarters or chained up all day. What's the point? Is it just to say that you "own" an animal. I won't even start on the delusional "owners" whose dogs bark day and night for their neighbors to not enjoy. Here's a hint: your neighbors do not share the same emotional attachment that you do with your barking machine (think kid screaming at Walmart). I like dogs and I have experienced the bond one can share with an animal that you don't forget when they're gone. I guess I have just seen too many irresponsible pet owners that don't appear to be enhancing their pets' lives by the conditions they keep them in.:dunno:

I'm not trying to be "right" about everything and I accept and embrace the fact that the world is imperfect and there are exceptions to all issues. That said... these 3 things amaze me overall.

·
The Bombdiggity
28,798 Posts
Your outlook amazes me. In a world full of so many wonders, (see one of my sig lines) you let such little things get to you.

For an answer, I am amazed by many things but to pick one, progress. I love to drive around and see things happening. A new housing development, a new business opening up, a new industry changing the landscape. That is what amazes me. People doing things. People making things. People building their worlds.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Rabbi, you do have a way with words! How you stay as level headed as you do is what amazes me.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your outlook amazes me. In a world full of so many wonders, (see one of my sig lines) you let such little things get to you.

For an answer, I am amazed by many things but to pick one, progress. I love to drive around and see things happening. A new housing development, a new business opening up, a new industry changing the landscape. That is what amazes me. People doing things. People making things. People building their worlds.
?

If you don't think litter is an issue, Google "trash island" and get back to me.

Your post implies that I am choosing to dwell on negative issues. That's not what I had in mind when I posted. Take smoking, for example... I am "amazed" that it's so widespread today given the health considerations and their cost. If they were still 75 cents a pack and that's your thing, smoke 'em up. I'm not trying to stop you. They're very expensive and hard on you to boot.

I agree that there are many wondrous things in the world to enjoy. I love beautiful landscapes and scenery as much as the next guy. That love is sometimes trumped by the amazement I experience when I see trash scattered throughout an otherwise beautiful sight.

I am amazed by beautiful women too!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Waking up 7 miles from a road and watching the sun rise over a pond that isn't on a map amazes me.

The feeling of love amazes me.

The fact that my dog is smarter than a quarter of the people I deal with on a regular basis amazes me.

The capacity of people to learn amazes me.

I could go all day.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Smoking is an addiction, anyone with and addiction is an addict. Addicts are not logical about their addiction.

Littering is a class thing, if you are trash, you won't see litter as garbage, but more of an extension of yourself.

Large dogs in an urban setting. More to me is people who don't take care of their dogs. People who let them roam loose, which is almost as obnoxious as the smokers that litter, except dog stops stinking after a while and rots away and dogs won't give me cancer.

What clearly amazes me is how people eat unhealthy food and are unhealthy and can't see the connection. Then they criticize people who eat healthy as they are the one's that are wrong. I guess being unhealthy and fat, even obese is "normal" now and being healthy, you are some kind of freak.

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
The creation of life and subsequent birth.

Gets me every time.

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
Looking up at the stars simply amazes me. Thinking of what could be and just how unthinkably vast the universe is.

It also amazes me how set in their ways so many people are. Watching someone fight for the same actions they fought against simply because who was carrying them out.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/38101676"]The Most Astounding Fact on Vimeo[/ame]

·
Devious Member
40,475 Posts
The expression on my large dog's face when I open the door and his eagerness to please me.

We live in an urban setting, but he gets a minimum of 30 minutes of HARD activity daily, and hours of play.

The loyalty and devotion of dogs to their humans is truly a joy to experience.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Many things.

One of the lighter ones: How about the difference between athletes and elite athletes? The following is a tribute video to one of my favorite Olympic weightlifters. Dimas weighed 187 lbf and is shown snatching just shy of 400 lbf and cleaning and jerking 470-something. A "strong" 185 lbf guy in the gym lifts about half that.

Edit: The 473 lbf C&J at 3:20 is one of the most amazing lifts I've ever seen. It seemed like he was going to lose it, then squats further and saves it. Doesn't seem like a huge deal until you think about what it feels like to have 470-something in your hands! Unbelievable.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Do0YXJKMM"]Pyrros Dimas Tribute Video - YouTube[/ame]

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
That our space program is but a shadow of its former self, while we continue to spend as much money as we possibly can on pointless wars, SS, medicare/aid, etc.

·
Tin Kicker
10,395 Posts
Selyna Bogino

·
Registered
393 Posts
Flight ! All the explaining and laws of physics aside, it's amazing to me to watch a plane take off.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,506 Posts
That some people really understand particle physics and higher mathematics.

That Monarch butterflies are actually know where to migrate to.

That God loves me in spite of some of the things I've done.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Banned
17,423 Posts
It amazes how Obama ever got elected the first time and the second term even more.

·
Caffeinator
6,137 Posts
The rush of euphoria that results from a simple smell, thought, or combination of events that trigger a memory from the distant past and allows me to relive it anew.

The intensity of my dreams, at least the ones I remember in the morning, and the way they can build on one another over the years.

The sense of adventure that can be had so easily just by hitting the reset button and changing careers, cities, friends, hobbies, etc.

The profound, yet paradoxical, dual sensations of connection and loneliness that pervades the late hours of the night when I am sitting up alone and contemplating my place in the world.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I am amazed when I think about how much life has changed in a very short period of time.

I am old enough to remember:

1) Changing the channel meant getting up and turning the knob

2) What TV was like before cable

3) Actually dialing to make a phone call

4) Life before the internet

5) Life before cell phones

And there's other things as well.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts