close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by College_EMT, Mar 25, 2010.

1. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

So I would love to CC my G19, but I feel like it is so big. I'm thinking about getting an IWB holster for it, but I have a question.

Currently, I have a Blackhawk Instructor's Belt and just the simple Glock Sport/Combat holster. When I practice drawing, the gun doesn't really want to come out of the holster. Either the belt isn't sitting tight enough or the holster isn't letting the gun go very easily. What I mean is the holster comes with the gun for the first 1-2 inches of me pulling up. I am leaning towards the belt not being tight enough, even though its pretty much as tight as its going to go.

So my next step is to either buy a new belt or a new holster. Which should I do? Does it sound like I should get a different belt? If this one is too big even cinched down, what can I get that won't move when I draw. Or since I need an IWB holster anyhow, should I get one of those and see if the Blackhawk Instructors's Belt works with it?

Any advice would be appreciated, because I'd love to carry more often!

2. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

There is a lot of info in a million threads just like the one you posted. They would do a far better job than I in explaining it.

The quick answer is: get a G26 and carry AIWB.

The other option is get an strong-side/traditional IWB... lots of MTAC fans around here.

3. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Comp Tac either the c-tac or mtac IWB (or one of CompTacs many IWB options) and a good gun belt and you'll be a happy camper. Good belt and good holster cure tons of problems. If you want a good dress belt, look at www.thebeltman.net for some of the finest in custom leather belts.

The 19 is easy to conceal, just need the right goodies.

4. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

Right, all threads say get a real gun belt and get a good holster (although tons of people recommend the Glock holster).

The belt I have is a "gun belt" but it doesn't seem to work very well. I'm trying to figure out if the belt is too big, just bad, or what so I can buy something different if need be.

I am thinking about getting either the MTAC or the Supertuck, but if the belt is too big then the holster still isn't going to help, right? Or is that where I'm wrong?

If your belt moves as you draw, is that a symptom of the belt being too loose, or will changing the holster eliminate the "grab" of the holster to the gun.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've never used the Blackhawk, or the Glock sport holster, but what you describe, there seems to be an equipment malfunction somewhere...

I carry a 23 w/ a High Noon Slideguard and a Beltman belt, and I've never had any probs like that.

IGF

6. SuperSleuth

SuperSleuth

How snug are the holster's belt loops/slots on the belt? Ideally there should be little, if any, play between the loops/slots and the belt. I carry my G23 in a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard with 1.25" belt slots on a 1.25" Beltman double-thick bullhide belt. I make sure the belt is tightened to the point where it's snug but still comfortable. There is virtually no movement of the holster when I draw the weapon.

7. Paddy

Paddy Glocktastic!

There should be a screw on the holster just ahead of the trigger guard. This is the passive retention adjustment screw, it's a rubber piece that grabs the front of the trigger guard, and the reason the holster clings to the gun the first couple inches of draw. Loosen a quarter turn at a time until retention is where you want it.

As for carrying concealed, those holsters tend to make the gun stick out a bit from your body. An IWB will do the job perfect, hugging it close to your body so it blends in. I weigh 125 lbs and I CC'd a Glock 23 for a while. I now open carry most of the time and carry a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm (.40 was too expensive to feed for a college student). With an IWB holster, I can CC this Stoeger as well, and it has the same grip as the Beretta 92, so theoretically I could CC that as well. I always wear a hoodie when CCing.

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...action=prepare_detail&itm_id=6943&itm_index=0

This holster makes a Glock 19 DISAPPEAR under a hoodie on me. However, being so skinny, I'll print no matter what if I bend forward.

8. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

I think I'm going to pick up a nicer (MTAC or similar) holster some time soon and see if that fixes the problem. If I can find a used MTAC for a 19, then I'll try that. I think the cheap Glock factory holster is exactly that, cheap and I'll find better results with a nicer holster. The belt is nice, with the polymer insert and everything and sits pretty tight, its just like the holster doesn't ever want to let go of my gun.

Because its the Glock Sport/Combat Holster, there is no adjustability.

9. CJCinTN

CJCinTN

My 0.02 are to get the MTAC. I routinely carry a G23 in my MTAC. Of course, it will also fit a G19.

10. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

Though the saying is that perception is reality- it ain't. Your perception doesn't actually make it too big. That feeling that everyone can spot you are packing will go away.

A better belt or a better holster or simply more familiarity with the existing set up all might work. If your life is worth it, spend $100 on a Beltman and another $50 - $100 on a good holster and pack heat.

Cheers, my friend. :wavey:

11. beala

beala

The problem is the holster. I bought Glock's Sport Combat holster after reading a few good reviews of it on here. Once I got it, I realized it's really just a cheap piece of crap. It holds the gun way too tightly, and way too closely to the body (to the point where the muzzle is digging into my thigh). Toss it and get a better holster.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  12. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

THIS........is one of the best post on Concealed Carry I've read in a while!!! It took me like a month+ of wearing everyday to realize no one can see my 26 (paranoia i guess). But I HIGHLY recommend the MTAC slide version. It is compatible with all 9/.40/.357 glocks, so If you do get a 27, 26, 17 or whatever you dont have to switch holsters!! Good Luck!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010