Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Linksys CM100 cable modem and a Linksys WRT120N wireless home router. Of course, my Dell Inspiron laptop, my PSP, and my iPod all patch over to the router. My iMac is connected to the modem.

The problem is that whenever I turn one of these devices off and then turn it back on, it won't automatically connect back to the router. It identifies the signal easily. I don't have to change the password or adjust with the modem. I mean, I can see my network name fine. Speed is great. Signal strength is filled with several fat green bars. The duration is counting up. The problem is that Windows states there is "limited or no connectivity."

The only thing I can do to remedy the problem is unplug my router (the power), and plug it back up, which is essentially re-setting it. Once I do this, I can identify the network and log on, no problem.

This seems extremely odd to me. The way it SHOULD work is the devices should continually connect to my network, anytime they're powered up. When I turn them on, they should identify the network, and patch up without me having to unplug the cord in the back of the router and then plug it back in.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
My PS3 does this too. Laptop, desktop, phone, printer, all hook up automatically. But not the PS3. Quite frustrating. Would love an answer too.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
What am I doing wrong?

Are you standing on your left foot, holding your right hand over your heart, and wearing a bra on your head? If you are, get a picture. It won't help your problem but it will look funny as heck.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've had the Linksys BEFSR1 for some time, and it does the same thing. I've heard the problem may be the need to update the firmware. It seems to work for some, but not for others. I've also read that higher internet traffic may cause it to lock up. I usually have to unplug it once a day. I will probably switch to a better router sometime later this year.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
I've never set up any kind of network with a Mac involved but I am thinking your problem is the iMac going into the modem instead of the router and multiple IP addys. Based on what I have just read I would try moving the iMac to the router and then seeing if you can share a single IP addy with everything connected to the router (some ISPs require this according to what I got by Google on this router just now). Once everything has the same IP it should fix it according to the postings I just read. Good luck!

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
To be a little more specific, everything won't have the same IP address. The router will have a single external IP, and any connection outside of that will simply see one "computer" and one IP.

This is what lets your router act as a hardware firewall. The outside world sees a single address (like a hotel's street address), but can't see anything beyond that to attack (your computers / individual hotel numbers).

Each of your devices will have its own internal IP address, like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, etc. that the router uses to communicate with them. Your modem should connect only to the router, and your Mac and everything else should connect to the router.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Check your routers firmware. If it predates Ver.1.0.05 (Build 03) that was released on 10/13/2010, upgrade it.

You can download the firmware at http://www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/support/WRT120N/download

Your modem should connect only to the router, and your Mac and everything else should connect to the router.
^ This. And make sure your DHCP is configured properly so that it can give each individual device a valid IP.

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
Just curious, did you add an item with WIN 7 on it recently?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That Linksys modem has both a ethernet and a USB connector for LAN. You can't use both, it's one OR the other. You need to plug the MAC into the router rather than the modem.

Anything plugged directly into the modem doesn't have a LAN address, it uses the same WAN IP as the modem. Plus you have no hardware firewall ahead of the MAC so it is being subjected to an onslaught of port probing 24/7 by the undesirables out there in the world. Even if you only have one PC you should connect it to the modem through a router so you have a hardware firewall.

The router is likely confused since the MAC has the same WAN address as the modem.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My PS3 does this too. Laptop, desktop, phone, printer, all hook up automatically. But not the PS3. Quite frustrating. Would love an answer too.
My PS3 is hard wired to the router which is in turn connected to the cable modem. No problems here.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found some customer reviews from Amazon that might help you. I have only scanned through a couple, but it seems as if you aren't the only one with this problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT120N-Wireless-N-Home-Router/dp/B0028N6VNW
Thanks for posting that. Actually, your post helped me more than anything. Did you compare how many 1-star reviews there were, as opposed to 5-star reviews? I bought this from Amazon, but I must have bought it years ago, before the poor reviews started to stack; I always look over the reviews, and when I see a pattern like this it impacts my buying decision.

I contacted Linksys/Cisco today via live chat. Once I explained my problem, the guy stated that it would be $19 for his assistance. These idiots are amazing. Sure, they got my money initially, but never another dime, never another cent. THIS is how you bankrupt your company.

Okay, let's change the topic of this post. Can anyone recommend a good wireless router that's not made by Linksys?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curious, did you add an item with WIN 7 on it recently?
No, I didn't. My main home computer is an iMac, and that's what's patched into the modem. The modem, of course, is connected to the router. The Dell laptop, iPod, and PSP are the wireless devices I'm trying to patch into the network--if these junk router would work the way it's supposed to. :steamed:

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
No, I didn't. My main home computer is an iMac, and that's what's patched into the modem. The modem, of course, is connected to the router. The Dell laptop, iPod, and PSP are the wireless devices I'm trying to patch into the network--if these junk router would work the way it's supposed to. :steamed:
Ahh, I ask because apparently WIN7 has some dealie with IPv6 and other MS based protocols that cause some routers to go haywire and not allow anyone new on once a WIN 7 machine connects, until the router's reset.

Sounds like you have a flickery router, in all honesty.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, I re-installed the setup software, and reconfigured the router to its most basic settings, including the firmware (refusing updates), and now its working. I can log onto the Internet with all my wireless devices without the unplug/plug routine.

Of course, there's no telling how long this will last. Tonight, the Mac might go into hibernation, and when I wake up tomorrow I'll be banging my head against the wall again. I'm holding my breath, for now...

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
Were your wireless devices getting an IP address from the router?

I'm betting they were not because of the windows error of limited or no connectivity.

Sounds like something was wrong in your DHCP set up.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Is auto connect turned on on the machine that won't connect?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts