GlockTalk Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
Good point. One Word... Covid19. I agree. If this country can get Covid19 under control, a whole lot of **** gets fixed.
Just go lick someones face with covid. Then you have it, antibodies, done. You have a greater chance dying in a car accident than by covid. I am a big believer in survival of the fit.

Reactions: ejs54

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just go lick someones face with covid. Then you have it, antibodies, done. You have a greater chance dying in a car accident than by covid. I am a big believer in survival of the fit.
OK, more quack science. Sure, deliberately infect myself with a pathogen responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. Real smart. You first!

·
Previously nutsnax
695 Posts
Im actually going to try this repriming compound i found online for 22LR but they say centerfire is fine too.

Snapcaps seem a little too Mad Max to me. Id like a solution that i can use with a straight face. These primer shortages are guaranteed any time someone breathes on the country wrong..... So might as well do the due diligence to get a workable primer reloading solution together....

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
OK, more quack science. Sure, deliberately infect myself with a pathogen responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. Real smart. You first!
Not quack science more joking but news flash, you cant hide from a virus. Wearing a mask only helps some & onLy if you wear it properly, which 98% do not. My point is dont fear covid. I dont fear covid at 64y old, no one else should either, unless they are a fat ass or have other comorbidities. Its a bad flu, people need to deal with it. Suck it up, get better or if not, meant to be.

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
Im actually going to try this repriming compound i found online for 22LR but they say centerfire is fine too.

Snapcaps seem a little too Mad Max to me. Id like a solution that i can use with a straight face. These primer shortages are guaranteed any time someone breathes on the country wrong..... So might as well do the due diligence to get a workable primer reloading solution together....
Easier to buy 50k next availability. The avg shooer probably shoots less than 1200rds a year. Even serious shooters only about 5k, competition maybe 12k. Its simple math.

·
Fuhgettaboutit
997 Posts
Howdy Fred, haven't been on in years. Good to see your still kicking and active on the reloading forum. Love my Tightgroup. Can't get it thou, although I have a bunch. Just ordered 16 pounds of Hodgdon Hi-Skor 700-x because it mimics TG for what I use it for on the Glock 9's, 40's and 45 GAP. Love hoarding when I can. Glad to be alive to hoard just for fun.

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
Howdy Fred, haven't been on in years. Good to see your still kicking and active on the reloading forum. Love my Tightgroup. Can't get it thou, although I have a bunch. Just ordered 16 pounds of Hodgdon Hi-Skor 700-x because it mimics TG for what I use it for on the Glock 9's, 40's and 45 GAP. Love hoarding when I can. Glad to be alive to hoard just for fun.
WST is probably available. Alliant Sport pistol is vey much like TG without the negatives. Lots of options for ugly TG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I live, I will turn 70 in June, 2021. With the Communists in power, I wonder if I will ever see another package of primers "in the wild."

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
If I live, I will turn 70 in June, 2021. With the Communists in power, I wonder if I will ever see another package of primers "in the wild."
Liberals are dumb but not totally stupid. At some point they will figure out civi make their own ammo & then start regulating & taxing. No 2A protection for reloading your own.
Why having 100k of say SPP is not really a lot & certainly not all this hoarding BS whining stuff. If I had access to 100k primers, not sure most of us would pop for the $3000-$3200. I might go 50 more??? Well worth it if they double in price or become unavailable. About 6m aho I used the last of my 1990 primers, $10/k. Sure wish I bought 100k back then!!

Reactions: ImpeachObama

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
At the range yesterday I noticed many live rounds laying on the ground. Pretty typical at my range.

I would never shoot them, but did have a passing thought that I could at least harvest the primers. Then I realized, nah, I'm not even close to that yet. But weird to even go there.

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
At the range yesterday I noticed many live rounds laying on the ground. Pretty typical at my range.

I would never shoot them, but did have a passing thought that I could at least harvest the primers. Then I realized, nah, I'm not even close to that yet. But weird to even go there.
If I booboo a reload, I pull it apart & reuse components. Done it with odd rounds that find their way into my brass bag too.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
If I booboo a reload, I pull it apart & reuse components. Done it with odd rounds that find their way into my brass bag too.
Same here. I pick up discarded complete rounds and pull them when I get enough. Couple years ago picked up 40+ 45acp with light primer strikes. Somebody didn't want to admit they had a problem!

Reactions: fredj338

·
Registered
28 Posts
I spent about an hour today in the reloading dept. of our local range, and posed the same question to the gents working the counter. They really couldn't answer the question. The only thing that was offered that made sense, was that a large supply of Winchester primers were currently going to the military (as they should).

I did a search on this subject, and didn't really find much useful information. What has really caused the current primer shortage, and how long will it last? Politics? Military supply? Why and what? :steamed:
I can only speak to what I was told. My local store has been in business for 30 years in Nevada. They have used the same suppliers for most of that time. WHEN and IF they can get primers no matter the size the suppliers are restricting what the store can purchase. When they show up they are usually sold out in 1 sometimes 2 days. They are only receiving 25,000 at a time IF they can get them. Powder is the same. They used to have every powder in the books and at least 24 of each on the shelves. The shelves are bare of the most popular and the others are hit and miss. I buy a pound or 2 when available and have started looking for formulae to substitute other powders than the one recommended in the reloading manuals because they are just not available. Some of this has to do with Calif. laws . My friend says people are driving 4 to 5 hours each way to buy reloading supplies in Reno. One guy from there offered my friend (the grandson of the owner) a $100 bribe to let him buy ALL the primers and H110 on the shelves.He naturally refused as they have limits for everyone (including customers of 20 yrs).There are no shot shells avail except 16 and sometimes 20 gauge. They have even sold out of 40, 10 mm and 45 bullets except for the 185 g. 9mm have a wait list and backlog of 60 days. So it's not just the primers.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,244 Posts
For so many posting on this forum about limited powder or bullet availability, they need only look online (uh... except Calif.).

Powder of all kinds is largely available. Those who buy 1# bottles should now be thinking about 4 or even 8# kegs - get a group buy going. If you wait for specific local availability - or if you wait at all - you may find powder unavailable. When components of any kind are available, it is time to stock up. Don't wait until powder availability becomes like primer availability. Who knows??

Bullets are also largely available, albeit with a 4 - 12 week backorder. If you will need powder and bullets in the next 4 years, NOW is the time to buy!

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
For so many posting on this forum about limited powder or bullet availability, they need only look online (uh... except Calif.).

Powder of all kinds is largely available. Those who buy 1# bottles should now be thinking about 4 or even 8# kegs - get a group buy going. If you wait for specific local availability - or if you wait at all - you may find powder unavailable. When components of any kind are available, it is time to stock up. Don't wait until powder availability becomes like primer availability. Who knows??

Bullets are also largely available, albeit with a 4 - 12 week backorder. If you will need powder and bullets in the next 4 years, NOW is the time to buy!
We can & do buy components on line, for now.:drunk:

Reactions: SARDG

·
Registered
35,106 Posts
Hoping that was still true, but have given up on trying to follow the ever-changing, increasingly restrictive laws of your communist state. :crazy:
I suspect at some point they catch up & ban component purchases on line. This is about two issues; controlling shooters & tax money.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts