GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
35,105 Posts
It isn't that tuff to figure out. If you are buying 8 pound containers of powder you don't buy primers 100 at a time.
100%. I tell my new reloaders that if you dont have enough primers for your powder supply, you need to buy more primers.

·
Registered
35,105 Posts
When I wamt to shoot I go shoot. I dont want to buy ammo on the way to the range or at the range. A huge majority of gun ownets do exactly that. Reloading isnt much diff. I dont run out & buy 500 primers to make 500rds of ammo. Its just not efficient & frankly more expensive.
I used to keep a 5k reserve of primers i use most. Then 2012-13 happened & I bumped it to 10k reserve. I always maintain my reserve, always. When down to 11-12k, buy another 10k. If I slow my shooting, I have a 2y supply of ammo that way. For a hobby shooter reloading 1000rds a year, I may be hoarding because he cant go buy his 1000 primers, but honestly, dont care. I keep my gas tank more than half full too, hoarding gas I suppose??
Btw, date your boxes & rotate them out so you use up the older stuff.

·
TeamCarverMount
1,005 Posts
Honestly I buy in bulk because it’s cheaper that way. In plentiful times if you buy when on sale you can get the price down to .05¢ a round, if you cast like I do.
I do understand buying in bulk, and I do understand if you buy 8lbs of powder you buy enough primers to use the powder! Hell I did it when I was shooting GSSF and other shooting matches, But you cant say that hoarding doesn't have a bit to do with it. And like I said, I do have enough SRP, I can load and shoot 9mm for a good while ! enough said !!!!

Reactions: Lagamor

·
Registered
35,105 Posts
Honestly I buy in bulk because it’s cheaper that way. In plentiful times if you buy when on sale you can get the price down to .05¢ a round, if you cast like I do.
My current cost of any service rd is 4c each, based on prices in jan, though buying in bulk actually makes thst cheaper over time. I just used up my last SPP from 2010??? Hmmm, hoarding or prepared??

Reactions: Lagamor

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts
Yep, you are now on ignore. Ridiculous. Good bye and good riddance.
Wow, less than 5 weeks on GT and you know more about what's going on than what is really going on. Just like a liberal. You don't understand economics nor what is going on. Please feel free to ignore me as well.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I got primers dated back to 2014 oh guess what I bought almost 10k spp last year should have gotten more because midway and brownells were offering free hazmat shipping so I didn't pay on hazmat on it either.
:waving::dancingbanana:

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,425 Posts
Wow, less than 5 weeks on GT and you know more about what's going on than what is really going on. Just like a liberal. You don't understand economics nor what is going on.
Wow. So, since I have only been on this website for 5 weeks, my 50+ years of experience with life on this planet counts for nothing. Yeah, OK, I can see that...

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts
I also buy 10K at a time 5K SP and 5K LP since I started loading progressive in 2016. I have 2-3 years worth of reloading and shooting at my normal pace as long as lead, antimony, and tin exist on this planet. I am not a hoarder regardless of your opinion. The last time I bought pistol primers was January 2020. There was plenty of stock.

·
Registered
35,105 Posts
Good, too many stupid people posting here. Not my fault you & others comprehension of words is lacking. Maybe do the forum a favor & go back into the basement, cut out some paper dolls with Joe Biden.

·
Registered
35,105 Posts
I got primers dated back to 2014 oh guess what I bought almost 10k spp last year should have gotten more because midway and brownells were offering free hazmat shipping so I didn't pay on hazmat on it either.
:waving::dancingbanana:
Hoarder? Prepper? Either way, shame on you from those that didn't see this coming.:cheers:

Reactions: Glock Commander

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I'm something of a numbers guy and I load a bit of .45 ACP.

My load is 4.8 gr 700-X so call it 5 gr and I get 1400 rounds per pound or 11,200 rounds from an 8# jug. If I buy 8# of powder, I better buy at least 10k primers.

8# of powder -> $134 (Powder Valley, today's price)
10k of primers -> $380 (PV, today's price)
Total Order Amt -> $514
Hazmat -> $ 25 or about 5% of the order

Call it $540 plus shipping. I like to keep the Hazmat fee to a small percentage of the order. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to order over the Internet. Well, other than the fact there is no local source for supplies.

So, now I have 10k primers and 8# of powder and I'll certainly be resupplying before I get to the bottom of the primers. Would I have 15,000 primers at any given moment? Sure!

But here's the thing: I shoot .45 ACP, my wife was shooting .40 S&W and my grandson helps empty out the .45. Now my wife has shifted to 9mm but I need supplies to load all 3 calibers.

How many primers should I have on hand? 20k, 25k? Given the Obama years? 40k, 50k? Anyway, it's a fairly obscene number but is easily justified.

During the .223 shortage, I scored the Hornady Giant Economy Pack of bullets - 6,000 per pack. Now I need a different powder and at least 6000 SRPs.

You can see where primers get out of hand. It isn't hoarding, it's just a sensible inventory given the realities of the Hazmat fee and powder in 8# jugs.

Side issue: I used to shoot a LOT of skeet and quite a bit of trap. I used 700-x for shotshell reloading so it made sense to use it for pistol. Here we are 40 years later (give or take) and I still use it for pistol. Now, my memory may be completely wrong but I swear the powder used to be available in 25# cans. That's a LOT of powder and it requires a ridiculous number of primers. For all pistol, it would require 35,000 primers. Fortunately, they were cheaper back then. Unfortunately, they used up a lot more of my disposable income.

Fred338's sensible inventory is easily justified as is mine. Why have powder without primers?

Oh, and .45 cast bullets add another $80/1000

ETA: The idea isn't to invest in reloading supplies futures but to minimize the effect of the Hazmat fee. That, and the possibility that California will legislate reloading supplies...

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I spent about an hour today in the reloading dept. of our local range, and posed the same question to the gents working the counter. They really couldn't answer the question ...
... 10 1/2 years later we still have a shortage? :homer:

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I'm something of a numbers guy and I load a bit of .45 ACP.

My load is 4.8 gr 700-X so call it 5 gr and I get 1400 rounds per pound or 11,200 rounds from an 8# jug. If I buy 8# of powder, I better buy at least 10k primers ...
When I go to the reloading store I have a list of what I need and I always wonder what someone is thinking when they buy a 8# jug of powder and only 1000 primers. :fred:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This shortage, like the shortage in 2008 have many of the same triggers (Yep, pun intended). But, with a few added twists. These are: Rumer, Unbounded fear, Conspiracy theory, Lemming-like behavior, Urban unrest, and the echo chamber from of insular discussion. How many recall the never proven 2008 rumor that the government was buying ammo to keep ammo off the store shelves?

·
Registered
35,105 Posts
When I go to the reloading store I have a list of what I need and I always wonder what someone is thinking when they buy a 8# jug of powder and only 1000 primers. :fred:
I almost never buy local, gun shops around here have little inventory & high prices. I just make sure if I have powder, I have equiv primets. An 8# jug of WST needs 12-14k primers to feed it. Pretty simple math, even for a confused Dem gun owner.

·
Registered
35,105 Posts
This shortage, like the shortage in 2008 have many of the same triggers (Yep, pun intended). But, with a few added twists. These are: Rumer, Unbounded fear, Conspiracy theory, Lemming-like behavior, Urban unrest, and the echo chamber from of insular discussion. How many recall the never proven 2008 rumor that the government was buying ammo to keep ammo off the store shelves?
Btw, same rumors today; govt buyimg ammo, Liberals buying it to keep it out of conservative hands my fav, hoarding. Unlike 08 or 12-13, we have a supply chain disruption because of Covid & shutdowns. Cant make primers w/o components & cant make ammo w/o primers. It will eventually straighten out but imo, not soon, not until summer 21.

Reactions: Gpruitt54
121 - 140 of 158 Posts