GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
I donmt give a damn, what anyone says, Yes, it is a good thing to be prepaired! BUt everytime one of these thread come up, You always get one or more that dont want to blame hoarding, I call BS!
Yes horading is a part of it too, And anyone thast says not has his head in the sand. Every reloader Im know would love to be sitting on 10 mto 20k primers right now, NUt many of us ,JUst dont have the funds to sit and watch the net 24/7 and buy buy as soon as we see primers come avalible, or have to work a jopb, and dont have the time to go by every LGS between work and home everyday.
When I was inot shooting GSSF 7 to 8 matches a year, and Steel challenge and other matches,Back when I was single, I too would be found sitting on 10k primers, 10 to 15lbs powder!
And I still love to load and shoot ,just not as much as I was shooting competition! But ,I like most have to prioritize my money each month.
I guess everyone on here that talks about finding 5000 primers and then brags about having 10k at home well, more power to you,whoever you are.
You also have to include all the new reloaders that camew about in the last few months, everyone says supply and demand, yes thats part of it, But everytime I go to the LGS Academy, Sportsmans warehouse, PSA , I see lines of people, buying guns, ammo if they can find it,hell you can even find a 9mm ammo storage box at sportsmans, People are uncertian, about the coming election and they are panic buying as much as they can!
SO you say supply and demand, yes the demand is there ,But the supply is lacking!
Now if it comes down to it ,I can still shoot as much as I like, I have a good supply of percussion caps, wads,powder and lead for my Ruger Old army cap and ball revolver
So dont say that hoarding isnt part of it, if you think that then Ive got oceanfront property in S,Dakota I want to sell you!
PS now let the ranting begin,I know its coming,But I dont give a Rats Ass,because Im tired of hearing all the BS
If everyone is that scared of Biden then just vote and keep him out of the Whitehouse !!!
The only person with their head in the sand are those screaming "hoarders". 5-10k primers is hoarding? You just dont shoot much. So you buy 1k at a time because that is all you shoot a year. I will bet ypu dont buy TP one roll at a time or if you do, you are even more ill prepared than I thought. One would think 2012-13 would have opened every reloaders eyes but apparently some are slow learners.

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,356 Posts

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
PV had them for $28/1000 only about a year ago.
PV prices have inched up to the point I can almost buy local, if local had any. Grafs is about the same price when you figure in cheaoer sh & hm, when they have them.

Reactions: 10or45

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,517 Posts
You fail to understand what hoarding means. Nothing left to say really. Whinners shouting "hoarders". Best you got is spell check? Please.:nutcheck:
You fail to understand what the "kidding" emoji means, which is strange, because it's pretty clear.

Oh well, nothing lost but some time. Sorry you didn't get the obvious joke!

:iloveyou:

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
You fail to understand what the "kidding" emoji means, which is strange, because it's pretty clear.

Oh well, nothing lost but some time. Sorry you didn't get the obvious joke!

:iloveyou:
Maybe go woth hugs & kisses next time.

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,356 Posts
The only person with their head in the sand are those screaming "hoarders". 5-10k primers is hoarding? You just dont shoot much. So you buy 1k at a time because that is all you shoot a year. I will bet ypu dont buy TP one roll at a time or if you do, you are even more ill prepared than I thought. One would think 2012-13 would have opened every reloaders eyes but apparently some are slow learners.
Yup
Anyone with a progressive that uses it regularly for pistol loads needs to buy 5K boxes.

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
Yup
Anyone with a progressive that uses it regularly for pistol loads needs to buy 5K boxes.
Waay back when I started loading, ss press, I was fine buying 1k from the local guy every couple months. Then Clinton shortage & competition shooting happened, 550B about the same time, so I bought 5k min each gun show. Then the internet & 10k is now my min buy just to make hm/sh work. If one does NOT have 5k in reserve, they are doing it wrong imo. That doesnt even require a huge cash outlay. Just buy 1k local every month & in short time you have a 5k min reserve. You never use the reserve unless you have too. You get to 5k, buy another 5k.

Reactions: 10or45

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not to jump into the middle of fight, but when is it appropriate to call someone's behavior "hoarding". I bought 15k a couple of years ago, when Cabela's had a really good sale.
My purchase didn't affect the supply one bit. Many, many reloaders could have done the same thing and not affected the supply. But about March of this year, the Covid triggered purchase of many common supplies. Is that when a person becomes a hoarder? When other's can't buy what they need because the supply has dried up?

·
Registered
35,159 Posts

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
Not to jump into the middle of fight, but when is it appropriate to call someone's behavior "hoarding". I bought 15k a couple of years ago, when Cabela's had a really good sale.
My purchase didn't affect the supply one bit. Many, many reloaders could have done the same thing and not affected the supply. But about March of this year, the Covid triggered purchase of many common supplies. Is that when a person becomes a hoarder? When other's can't buy what they need because the supply has dried up?
Hoarding is stashing things just to stash things. If I buy 400 rolls of TP, fully expecting to use them over a 2y period, its not hoarding. If I buy primers & dont reload, never expect to reload, I am hoarding. If I keep a 2y reserve of anything, I am just being prepared.
We have now all seen how fast things become short, especially if the manf slows down. Some of us are fast learners & prepare. Some are just slow & need to be burned 3-4x before taking their hand off the stove. I feel for the new shooters/reloaders, but not losing any sleep over the ones who failed to plan after 2012-13.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,272 Posts
I bought 20K SPP in January for $27/1K TTD, and since my shooting habit has dropped from 20K/yr (handgun centerfire) to ~12K/yr, have only gone through about 10K.

When you are shooting 1K+/mo, 20K purchases are not hoarding. As a matter of fact, C-19 was 2 months away in January, so no specific need to worry or over-purchase - except perhaps the imminent Prez election.

Now, my only regret is not purchasing 40-50K or more then, so that I can shoot through 4 more years. (Still not hoarding... buying=using)

Regardless, 27 bucks/1K is not looking hopeful, ever again. :(

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
I am sitting on 40k SPP. I almost dropped an order in Feb for another 10k, but covid snuck up on us & I didnt. Right now i am regretting that a bit. Who knows where all this goes. Thus not hoarding.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,918 Posts
Hoarding is stashing things just to stash things. If I buy 400 rolls of TP, fully expecting to use them over a 2y period, its not hoarding. If I buy primers & dont reload, never expect to reload, I am hoarding. If I keep a 2y reserve of anything, I am just being prepared.
Yea, those clowns who went around and bought up +10K bottles of hand sanitizer with the intent to flip them to schools/businesses that needed hand sanitizer—their actions could be considered "hoarding"—but the 10 bottles I finally accumulated and 5 bottles of 91% alcohol isn't, even if others can't find these items in stock. All public schools closed in our state, but my son's school is open, so we will putting these items to use.

Same with TP...was down to 2 rolls and joking about using my socks after the paper towels run out; but when some finally hit the shelves, I ensured we wouldn't cut it that close again. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is a weird drought. My range still has ammo, it’s a different brand every time but they always have it.
My gut tells me that I’ll be able to buy as much 12 gauge trap ammo as I want next year, but I won’t be able to buy primers.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Mime is a Ruger old army, stainless!
Im thinking of getting a couple more cylinders for it from Ruger
I always scoff at the stainless Ruger old army revolvers.

That is until I’m standing at the kitchen sink with a toothbrush scrubbing every nook and cranny of my beautiful blued blackpowder revolvers for the next hour. Then blowing them out with compressed air, waiting several hours for them to dry, and then painstakingly lubricating every surface with Ballistol and/or bore butter before reassembling them. And still somehow finding rust in them the next time I take them out.

That SS Old Army is a pretty convenient little cap & ball revolver to have on hand.

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
I donmt give a damn, what anyone says, Yes, it is a good thing to be prepaired! BUt everytime one of these thread come up, You always get one or more that dont want to blame hoarding, I call BS!
Yes horading is a part of it too, And anyone thast says not has his head in the sand. Every reloader Im know would love to be sitting on 10 mto 20k primers right now, NUt many of us ,JUst dont have the funds to sit and watch the net 24/7 and buy buy as soon as we see primers come avalible, or have to work a jopb, and dont have the time to go by every LGS between work and home everyday.
When I was inot shooting GSSF 7 to 8 matches a year, and Steel challenge and other matches,Back when I was single, I too would be found sitting on 10k primers, 10 to 15lbs powder!
And I still love to load and shoot ,just not as much as I was shooting competition! But ,I like most have to prioritize my money each month.
I guess everyone on here that talks about finding 5000 primers and then brags about having 10k at home well, more power to you,whoever you are.
You also have to include all the new reloaders that camew about in the last few months, everyone says supply and demand, yes thats part of it, But everytime I go to the LGS Academy, Sportsmans warehouse, PSA , I see lines of people, buying guns, ammo if they can find it,hell you can even find a 9mm ammo storage box at sportsmans, People are uncertian, about the coming election and they are panic buying as much as they can!
SO you say supply and demand, yes the demand is there ,But the supply is lacking!
Now if it comes down to it ,I can still shoot as much as I like, I have a good supply of percussion caps, wads,powder and lead for my Ruger Old army cap and ball revolver
So dont say that hoarding isnt part of it, if you think that then Ive got oceanfront property in S,Dakota I want to sell you!
PS now let the ranting begin,I know its coming,But I dont give a Rats Ass,because Im tired of hearing all the BS
If everyone is that scared of Biden then just vote and keep him out of the Whitehouse !!!
I live in America so I just ignore people like this,
JWG_34

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
It isn't that tuff to figure out. If you are buying 8 pound containers of powder you don't buy primers 100 at a time.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I don't think of it as hoarding and I'm not interested in discussions about 'prepared'.

I think a big part of the issue (not a 'problem') is the number of new guns sold since the first of the year. It's on the order of 17 million, most to current gun owners but a sizeable number to new gun owners.

Everybody that bought a new firearm became an instant customer for ammo and seeing near empty shelves probably had people buying more than they ordinarily might but, then again, maybe we live in troubled times. That's the reason that nearly 40% of those guns went to newcomers.

If every one of the 17 million gun purchases brought an ammo sale of just 100 rounds, we'd be talking about 1.7 billion rounds or 34 million boxes. That seems like a lot. But, really, 100 rounds per firearm is a very low number.

Then there is the .gov. You can assume they are replenishing their stocks. Same with .mil. These two customers are far larger than the hobby market and will obviously get preferential supplies. These manufacturers don't use the same powder we use but it is made in the same plants and with a higher priority than our powder. I suspect primers are the same regardless of application.

Manufacturers see the cyclic nature of demand and are not going to increase manufacturing capacity and wind up with idle equipment. The long term demand is up, no doubt, but the short term spike is something they're not going to gear up for. They can get premium prices for a limited commodity. Ain't capitalism wonderful!

Like Fred338 and most of the long time reloaders, I have a decent stock and I have kept it at a reasonable level since the Obama shortages. Things were a little tight back then and they are again. We have seen this before and we learned.

Another way to look at it: Somebody had to buy those supplies, it just turns out that I'm one of them. If I hadn't bought the stuff somebody else would have and they're not nearly as deserving!

·
Registered
35,159 Posts
Yea, those clowns who went around and bought up +10K bottles of hand sanitizer with the intent to flip them to schools/businesses that needed hand sanitizer—their actions could be considered "hoarding"—but the 10 bottles I finally accumulated and 5 bottles of 91% alcohol isn't, even if others can't find these items in stock. All public schools closed in our state, but my son's school is open, so we will putting these items to use.

Same with TP...was down to 2 rolls and joking about using my socks after the paper towels run out; but when some finally hit the shelves, I ensured we wouldn't cut it that close again. :)
Even that isnt hoarding but raw opportunism. There is always some ******bag waiting to make $$ of any tragedy, which covid certainly is.

Reactions: 10or45 and Lagamor
101 - 120 of 158 Posts