What Actually Caused The Primer Shortage?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by kshutt, Mar 3, 2010.

1. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I would add and I see this alot. Is people trying to build a stock pile in the middle a buying rush . First thing I say to them you are going to regret trying to do that wait until theres no panic buying.
    Some listen most dont same ones when 9mm is under 200 bucks for 1k and I send them a link to will ignor it because other things at that point are more important.

2. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Well folkhs...a) I ain't a hoarder. But I used to shoot IDPA and IPSC a lot. Hence I have a fair number of small and large pistol primers as well as slugs and brass... happy me!

Now as for the shortage. We live in 'just in time' inventory. This is where they get things shipped in to the stores 'just in time' to be sold. Keeps inventory cost low (storage and TAXES... yes taxes.. yearly taxes for inventories kept over to the next year.) Even the producers adjust their production to match the demand the retail stores indicate by orders.

And that is why we have so many shortages if there is a 'run' on the items. You do remember the toilet paper shortage? The shortage of disinfectant? How about the shortage of many foods whenever a hurricane comes near our land?

So, lesson folks. Have some in stock at home.. just in case.

Right now you will have to endure the ammo/primer/powder shortage... that is the way the ball bounces. BUT NEXT TIME... stock up some extra just in case.

judgecrater and fredj338 like this.

3. fredj338

fredj338

No its not. Hoarding is the non rational accumulation of things, generally you never use. If I am going to use it, its just being prepared. Who really knows how much you need? If they restrict or ban interstate ammo & components, add a 100% tax, 40k SP doesnt seem like a lot over just 5y.

"the compulsion to continually accumulate a variety of items that are often considered useless or worthless by others accompanied by an inability to discard the items without great distress Hoarding is marked by an overwhelming desire to collect items and an inability to discard things that may seem useless"

n2g, Taterhead, Deaf Smith and 2 others like this.
  4. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

+1

5. fx77

fx77 CLM

6. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

I would argue that the perceived shortages are purely driven by increased demand. Look at the waiting lists/backorders for bullets; some are projected out months (8-12 weeks seems to be a common theme). Look at the backorders for presses and dies and all the fixings. It follows there would be a primer shortage, too.

We can cast our own bullets. We can locate used presses, dies, and range brass. With so many powder options, we shouldn't be held back by a lack of powder. We can't, however, make our own (reliable) primers. ;)

Not only are there millions and millions of new gun owners this year, all of whom need some ammo and buying everything they can find on the shelves, there has to be a *bazillion* new reloaders like myself who have bought factory ammo for decades, but refuse to pay the prices the current market is commanding.

In February when the price of my usual AE 124gr range ammo went over $200/case, I jumped ship. Imagine how many are still jumping ship today as prices gravitate toward $700+ a case of 9mm. All of whom need primers.

fredj338 likes this.
  7. xTerpx

Given that Merriam-Webster disgustingly changed the definition of "sexual preference" to include the word "offensive" during the recent ACB nomination hearings, I wouldn't cite them as being...authoritative, sir.

They have shown themselves to be leftist, partisan hacks.

ejs54 and Lagamor like this.
  8. fx77

fx77 CLM

I recuse from a political discussion :)

xTerpx likes this.
  9. fredj338

fredj338

I dont think the reloading market increases are anywhere near the new gun owners buying factory ammo. At least 25M new handgun owners this year alone. If they each bought 100rds with their new pistol, what is that, 250M rds of ammo. That is just the new gun owners. Then there are the regular buyers, the govt contracts, its a lot of ammo. If we added 2M new reloaders I would be surprised.

10. fredj338

fredj338

Either is what I said in my earlier post. People that claim hoarding are generally the less prepared whining about a shortage. Sure I used to buy my primers locally 1K at a time. Then the Clinton shortage. I started buying 5K at time. Then the internet came & buying cheaper in volume from any source became easier. I never buy less than 10K primers since about 2000.

judgecrater and SARDG like this.
  11. xTerpx

Let's assume half that and further assume that each new reloader only purchased a paltry 1K primers. That's literally a billion primers right there and presumably a major shift in the demand curve. ;)

I don't know what the current capacity is, but primer manufacturers are clearly struggling to meet this newfound demand (but would agree with you that it is more than likely being driven more by new shooters and factory ammo than by reloaders).

Exhibit A on how bad it is getting for some...ouch!

GB primers for sale.jpg

12. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Cannot possibly get that bad for me... in my lifetime!

13. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

T
    That’s just crazy. Has to be someone who needs them for competition, maybe?

14. fredj338

fredj338

I would limit my competition at that price.

SARDG likes this.
  15. xTerpx

With some places charging more than +$0.60/round for 9mm nowadays, I guess $0.22/primer ensures "savings" for some? I can't even type that with a straight face.

...from the Dillon mothership; it'll be a week or more before they even get a chance to process your order and add you to the backlog:

SHIPPING & PROCESSING TIME DELAYS
    Extreme order volume has extended our order processing time to one week. Delivery of backordered items may take 8-12 weeks, some more. We update our backlog weekly - you may check status HERE. We apologize for the delays and appreciate your understanding and patience as we do our best to fulfill your order in these challenging times. ​

Taterhead likes this.
  16. fredj338

fredj338

I think there is a domino affect on availabilty of most things. Dillon doesn't make all the stuff to build a press, shortage, domino affect. Same for primers or ammo. It is not hoarding, nor even gross demand, its a compilation of issues. Covid, politics, demand, new shooters, new reloaders, a whole bunch of moving parts.

17. 540mope

540mope

GT can't be anywhere near as strict as a certain Smith & Wesson website. The buffoon that operates that site does not want anyone to discuss, or name the politicians who constantly threaten to entirely disarm American citizens.
    Imagine that, a website administrator claiming to be in support of the 2nd Amendment and devoted to firearms, yet bans any discussion of the dangerous people who want us all to be unarmed.

RadarRunner, judgecrater and fredj338 like this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah I have been banned a few times there. He is a former college prof, kinda explains his nose in the air attitude. We went around a bit on the last one. I told him he needs to stop being such a control freak. its supposed to be a forum here we discuss things & some things are just political. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

judgecrater and 540mope like this.
  19. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

20. 540mope

540mope

ex Professor...that explains the snobbery and the absolute stupidity of censoring all important political issues when our freedom is at stake.
    I quit donating to that site because of its harsh rules.

...rant over

judgecrater likes this.