41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
You still have $11 a K primers ?

Hoarder! :tongueout:

I think dealer price is around $17 a K around here. :whistling:

Bob
$17.00 is a little on the high side. I can beat Fred by a bit, I've still got plenty of $8.90/1000 primers.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
On the side of the issue that isn't political, I've noticed that Wolf primers are available right now in respectable quantities. I've never shot them, and quality would be my concern with them. My G21 & G30 like Federal 150's. I used to shoot Winchester exclusively before purchasing my Glocks. Neither of my Glocks liked my beloved Winchester primers, however. I had too many failures to fire with them, so I switched to the Federal 150's and never experienced another problem. My local gun range has Federal 150 Match right now, so I purchased 2k at $38.00 plus tax per thousand. OUCH! :steamed:
I've also noticed I get a couple failure to fire per 50 rounds using Winchester. I thought the primers weren't seated fully and went and cleaned all the primer pockets and seated them well. I also noticed you can dent the Federal 150's as they are softer when seating them and that never happens with the Winchesters. The Winchesters are fine in the wheel guns so I use them there. I have put the FTF loads back in the glock and they usually fire the second time. Zero issues like that in thousands of rounds with Federal or Wolf. As for the primer shortage I got the same answers from the factories saying there is a lot of demand by the military. I also noticed a year ago a lot of people bragging about their hoarding. Sorry I think, IMO if you have 150thousand primers on hand, and you found 10k in some local store and bought up all of them that seems like hoarding to me, but when I said so last year I got blasted by these people. I think they like to sit there now and look in their huge ammo cabinet in their loading rooms and look at the shelves and shelves of primers they have. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
You still have $11 a K primers ?

Hoarder! :tongueout:

I think dealer price is around $17 a K around here. :whistling:

Bob
Yeah that is retail sticker too! You bet, after that 91 shortage, I vowed to not be caught short again. I was shooting 2K rds/m in CAS & was buying primers in 10K lots at a time & always maintain 5K min each size. I don't shoot that much anymore, but still reorder 5K primers when I get down to 5K primers. I don't "need" primers right now, got my last order in June, but did order another 10K from Graf's. I know it will take at least 4m to get that filled.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have to admit I never ran out of primers due to my stockpile, but I am quite low now. I have most of my brass loaded so I can go at least another 6 months and not need to buy more primers but I tend to pick up 1000 here and there just so I am not completely out of anything.

The problem is when I order, I will order around 100,000 primers for my buddies and I to split out. 3 of us will go in together and order 70 lbs worth at once. If enough folks like us are doing that we will continue the problem for a while longer.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wouldn't be a problem for me as I shoot what I buy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The problem is when I order, I will order around 100,000 primers for my buddies and I to split out. 3 of us will go in together and order 70 lbs worth at once. If enough folks like us are doing that we will continue the problem for a while longer.
This is zackly what happened after 1994. The big dif is the magnitude of newbs and the fear driving demand to fend off the
No Bullet Syndrome ( No BS )...lol.
Fact is we wonderfully engineered consumers will maintain this 100% increase and justify it to ourselves. As long as they are available...life is good.
Just an observation.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For those new to reloading or the shooting sports, know that history may not be repeated, but it’ll rhyme...

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
306 Posts
That is why I posted this. What’s old is new again.

·
What did I come in here for?
10,945 Posts
The cause is the people who did not learn from Obama's reign and did not buy while they were available for reasonable prices.

Reactions: SARDG

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well.... this is a fine 10 year old thread, but interesting to see people complaining about primers costing $17/1K.
i'm a fan of zombie threads!

indeed, i've resurrected (ahem) a couple here and there for things of interest to me to see what the old farts have to say. more often than not, they're spot-on.

respect.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
That is why I posted this. What’s old is new again.
Or history repeats itself to those that ignore it.:director:

Reactions: 10or45

·
Señor Member
8,699 Posts
Primers are so cheap and sold in such large packaged amounts when compared to the other components, that it only makes sense to have excessively more of them than anything else.

Reactions: fredj338

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Everyone I know cannot get anything they want
Shortage is hoarding generated as it was Nov 2008 when I put in an order for supplies and received them June 2009.

Factories have reported buying new equipment and moving to 2-3 shifts/24 hr period

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
This election has been on the calendar for quite a while. It has been in all the papers...

There was (and is) a strong possibility that a Democrat could win the election and that is almost always bad for reloading. It certainly was under Obama. Kids couldn't even get .22 LR for their first firearm.

The time to buy stuff was a couple of years ago when I first started posting about this. We knew it was coming, we had the election date on the calendar and if people failed to heed my advice way back when, well, here you are.

Heck, I remember conversations like "I can't afford to load 9mm or .223, it is simply too cheap" to which I responded that during Obama, one local agency was paying $2/round for .223 while I was loading it for $0.26/round. I had a bunch of ammo; they could barely cover qualifications.

You couldn't afford to load it a couple of years ago and you can't get supplies to load it today.

One couldn't predict the civil unrest but that is a big factor in purchases today.

I'm guessing that Biden wins and things are ugly for the next 8 years. Or, worse yet, Biden wins, becomes unqualified and Harris takes over. That ought to send ripples through the shooting community. Ripples about the size of a tsunami.

There are two solutions the next time things ease up: Buy a boatload of ammo or buy a ton of supplies. If premanufactured ammo is inexpensive, buy a 10 year supply.

When should you buy supplies? As soon a Powder Valley has inventory.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
Everyone I know cannot get anything they want
Shortage is hoarding generated as it was Nov 2008 when I put in an order for supplies and received them June 2009.

Factories have reported buying new equipment and moving to 2-3 shifts/24 hr period
It isnt hoarding, that is what the unpreoared spew. Ammo companies are pouring their primers into ammo. That is where the bulk of shortage stems from. Reloaders are like shooters in general; there are the hobby guys loading 1-2k a year & the serious guys loading 10-20k a year. The later might be 10% of those reloading so not hoarding, not even if I bought 100k. Thats just 5y shooting for some. It isnt hoarding if you plan on using what you buy, now or 10y from now.

Reactions: SARDG

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Hoarding is an excessive accumulation of something-anything
All I see at my range are people who have so much and want more and more, beyond what they can reasonably use absent the apocalypse

41 - 60 of 158 Posts