What About the Health Care Professionals (Blue Label)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 5.4 Shelby, Mar 28, 2020.

1. CBennett

CBennett

I was just about to say that I thought EMS did get it

-JCN- likes this.
  2. norcalAF

norcalAF

I'm in the reserves now, so not much chance of moving for a bit. I've been able to find whatever off roster guns I desire with a bit of patience and no problem with buying used.

alwaysshootin and SARDG like this.

3. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Thing is, the Blue Label program is a marketing strategy. Gaston wanted his guns to be seen as the "guns of professionals". So, the rest of us subsidize this strategy so that more police, etc. can purchase Glocks at discounted prices.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

No Quarter, -JCN- and Joebiker like this.
  4. strapped215

strapped215

Good Post. ER nurse in level one inner city trauma center here. I've always said the blue label discount should extend to us as well. First receivers if you will. I work in a democratic run city and the vast majority of my colleagues are pro gun so yeah Glock lets see it.

-JCN-, Wurger and 5.4 Shelby like this.
  5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Here is the list, from the Glock website. I believe the program was initially designed and intended to help LEO's who have to purchase their own sidearm and/or BUG. It has since been expanded to help those who may face retribution for their actions in enforcing law. More fire and EMS agencies are issuing body armor to their personnel due to the perception of increasing threats. I know of some that are allowing firearms to be carried; though, they are the exception and a loaded firearm under bunker gear doesn't make sense.
    • Sworn Law Enforcement officers, including Federal, State, County & City also includes retired L.E. officers with “retired” credentials (LE Department Picture ID front & back)
    • EMT’s, Fire Fighters, Volunteer Fire Fighters, and Paramedics (with Picture ID from department front & back)
      Certifications alone are not authorized and do not qualify
    • Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D also includes retired Military with “retired” credentials
      (Military picture ID front & back)
      DD214/discharge papers do not qualify – If you cannot submit your ID please use our dealer locator to find a dealer in your area
    • Corrections Officers, including Parole and Probation Officers
      (LE Department Picture ID front & back)
    • State Licensed Security Companies (Loomis, RAM, etc.) Also includes State Licensed Armed Security Officers Employed by State Licensed Security Companies
      (with Employment Picture ID from company front & back) Certifications alone are not authorized and do not qualify
    • Court Judges
    • LE Academy Cadets with enrollment documentation from the Academy
    • GSSF Coupon Recipients should contact GSSF for more information

In regard to including medical staff, that's a bigger stretch, in my mind. When I had to spend a week in the hospital, guarding a Mexican Mafia hitman we had in custody for multiple murders, I had a hell of a time trying to keep the medical staff safe. They didn't think anything about him being a bad guy. I regularly had to stop nurses and doctors as they came in with scissors or pens where he could grab them. Eventually, the lightbulb would come on, but they didn't have the same mindset as a professionally armed individual (should have). It blew my mind I had to explain not giving the hitman access to weapons, during care. When we got word some of his buddies were coming to break him out, the medical staff was really lost. It was a long week.

6. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

A lot of the smaller agencies, in my area, require you to purchase your own firearm(s). Some may have an agency issued shotgun and/or rifle, others make you bring all your weapons. Almost no agencies, around here issue a BUG, even if they issue everything else.

Grease Gunner likes this.
  7. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I'm not sure role you're in, in healthcare but there are a couple of ways to qualify. If you're an MD or DO you can become a medical director for an EMS Agency and you will get EMS agency credentials. Some PD SWAT or Tactical teams will use an MD, NP, RN for their team, and you'll get credentials that way. But either way will require you to spend a lot of time and training to get the discount.

nursetim and -JCN- like this.
  8. Komatsu61

Komatsu61

9. JBP55

JBP55

Should be for Military and Law Enforcement.

DrVlad, Cojo, ZGXtreme and 3 others like this.
  10. Komatsu61

Komatsu61

I have a tough, stressful job as well. Also considered an "essential " trade as far as Ohio's shut down guidelines go. Maybe I should get it too.

11. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

There are plenty that currently qual for the discount who really don't need it. Very questionable based on the original intent and purpose of the discount.

Law of human nature-- if it is being given away (at less than existing market value), people will take it, whether it is useful or applies to them.

There should be a requirement that if they take the discount, they need to obtain a minimal level of training.

Grease Gunner and Komatsu61 like this.
  12. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

When was the last time you saw an EMT carrying a weapon on duty? Glock needs to go back to true armed professionals for the discount.

13. norcalAF

norcalAF

The vast majority of EMS companies expressly forbid it, most likely due to liability and insurance policy coverage issues.

nursetim likes this.
  14. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

Last thing needed is an untrained, stressed, cowboy with control issues brandishing a weapon at a scene, or a healthcare facility.

15. Wurger

Wurger

Wow.....seriously ignorant of the facts. I’m an RN and there are a lot of us who are gun enthusiast.
    I 100% agree with the original post. In the OR we are the ones who put back together those the police and EMTs deliver to our doors. We deal with the blood guts and gore, the dangers of MRSA, MDRO, CDiff.....
    We are in the trauma bay, rushing emergent cases directly to the OR, Massive Transfusion Protocol. Elbows deep in blood.
    Glock, RNs and Physicians for Blue Label.
    Do it for the Covid-19 and what we do each and every day way before the current crisis.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    bigbrother1984, 5.4 Shelby and -JCN- like this.
  16. Wurger

Wurger

Thanks for nothing.

When do EMTs carry firearms?

We have about 20 Covid-19 patients and increasing. We are not ‘ambivalent’ to them.

17. Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

Wow just wow I think my IQ dropped a few points with the last couple posts.....”do it for Covid19” really??

When you rush out of the ER and into a burning building or kick in a door on a raid of a stash house, or stand watch for 12 hours to make sure no harm comes to people or property then you can have your Blue Label discount.

Cojo, Komatsu61 and -JCN- like this.
  18. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Or maybe when you’re a judge or pay your $60 for the GSSF membership, you can get your Blue Label discount. Because those are apparently equivalent to “kicking down the door in a raid” or “standing watch for 12 hours.” :eyelashes:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  19. Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

I was leaning more to the first responder vs first receiver comment.

To me it seems like a win-win joining GSSF-get a discount on a pistol and gets you the opertunity to learn more about your weapon platform you’ll use to defend yourself with

Patchman likes this.
  20. Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

Just had a thought-Glock should extend Blue Label pricing to night shift gas station and convenience store clerks.....they have a pretty dangerous job these days

Cojo, ZGXtreme, JimWillson and 3 others like this.