What About the Health Care Professionals (Blue Label)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 5.4 Shelby, Mar 28, 2020.

1. 5.4 Shelby

5.4 Shelby

Let me start by saying I am medical personnel. So, I am biased. I had planned to send this as a private email to Glock, but, there is no email address on their website. I didn't even get a usable email when I registered my Glocks. Maybe they will read it here and have an answer.

The Glock Blue Label program exists to assist and recognize the active military, first responders and law enforcement personnel. I applaud Glock for recognizing such vital community servants. I know they have to draw the line somewhere, but, what about the Nurses, Doctors, PAs and Nurse Practitioners (and other vital health care staff) that are in the trenches every day? They put themselves out there every day to serve the public. The recent Covid crisis is only a small piece of what these people do. It is getting publicity right now, but, the reality is, they deal with life and death stuff like this daily.

So, how about it Glock? Can we get Blue Label status for health care professionals. At least certain times of year or during crisis times like now?

Willard, Mr Meeseeks, R_P_K_ and 5 others like this.
  2. norcalAF

norcalAF

3. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

EMS first responders do, as well as military qualified medical folks, or do like I do, give your triage nurse daughter a G-26, and G-17 gen 4 (she’s a southpaw), Big Daddy takes care of his kids!!!

4. Mike-M

Mike-M

How about Blue Label pricing for everybody everywhere who ever did anything decent at least once? After all, they have earned that distinction...I guess.

5. Patchman

Patchman Florist

My impression may be wrong but I thought the medical/health care profession, as a profession, see guns and gun deaths as a disease. I'm sure there are many individuals within the profession who are pro 2A or at least recognize the value of guns and self-protection.

Sorry but not really seeing the tie in.

6. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Leg Humper

Having been in the medical field for 10 years, I would say it is about 50-50. And it's also geographically based. Poll nurses and docs in San Francisco or NYC, 90% of them are hand-wringing liberals. Okie City or Tampa, the curve goes the other way.

Just like any other profession.

7. JDJ

JDJ

I agree with the OP with an income cutoff limit because docs making six figures don’t need the price break. But a CNA making $10/hour sure does, and it’s folks like that who are doing the menial work.

I’m not in the medical profession myself.

juanlien, R_P_K_, B C and 2 others like this.
  8. jmohme

jmohme

I would have no problem with Glock extending the Blue label program to physicians. Especially those that expose themselves to infected patients every time they go to work.

nursetim, -JCN- and 5.4 Shelby like this.
  9. Spartan24

Spartan24

It used to cover commercial pilots but doesn’t any longer. If they were covered, why not medical personnel? I don’t know. Meh. Just join GSSF and be done with it.

10. 5.4 Shelby

5.4 Shelby

Good. I like the discussion so far. That is what I was hoping for.

As far as the medical profession seeing guns as bad, I don't see that as any different than the rest of the population. Most don't see guns as bad. Most of us see people as bad and they make bad choices. It isn't the gun that kills, it is the person pulling the trigger.

My area is about 50/50. I started carrying because of situations that I am put in related to work. A large part of my practice is taking care of IV drug abuse patients. Most of them are good people with a bad problem. Some, however, don't like being told that they are not getting any more pain meds from me. I live in a relatively small community and am not hard to find or even follow home. I did have one of those patients stop by my house. He was harmless, but, it scared me and my family to think that it was that easy to find me.

The true reason for posting this, however, is to gauge the support for the health care community right now. And to throw my support out there for them. Many of them are exposing themselves right now with risk to themselves and their families. And they do it because of their community service responsibility. Not their 6 figure incomes.

So, thank you, to everyone who is taking care of our community. LEO, military, EMS, fire fighters and health care professionals.

11. JDJ

JDJ

I believe that to be true. But it’s also hard to walk away from a six-figure income in this current situation if you are receiving one.

R_P_K_ likes this.
  12. Dave514

Dave514

I was under the assumption that the basic premise of the program was to offset some of the cost for those officers who are purchasing their own gun for work. It's clearly been expanded to other situations in the emergency responder world but I'd think going into the medical professional world is a real stretch.

DrVlad, ZGXtreme, MSP Sarge and 5 others like this.
  13. norcalAF

norcalAF

Now if we start arming our medical staff like our police forces, I'm all for it. At the end of the day Glock is a private company that can do as they please, the blue label program is more of a marketing tool than a charity program. I predict the more entitled folks get about the blue label program, the more likely they will restrict it further, not expand. As the poster above said join the GSSF and get your cheap gun and support the shooting sports all in one swoop.

nursetim and -JCN- like this.
  14. pblanc

pblanc

I am a retired surgeon and have been a member of several group practices in several different states. The majority of members of those groups have owned firearms.

I don't know the exact percentage who did, but the ones that I happened to know to be gun owners constituted a majority in each group.

I have come across a few physicians who were severely anti-gun but not many. I know far more who are pretty avid shooters.

Don't listen to the hot air coming out of entities like the AMA or some specialty boards. Many of those ceased being representatives and advocates of working physicians a long time ago. The AMA looks out for and protects the interests of practicing doctors about as well as the US House of Representatives looks out for your interests.

15. Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

I agree that the more people added to a “reduced price list” will end up making the list get shorter in the end. Why does everyone want a handout these days based on a job title?

People who carry guns for work(LEO/Military/private security) is one thing but others wanting a discount because they way to feel special is another. “I should get a blue label price as I’m an NRA pistol instructor” I wanted to throw up....everyone is looking for an angle and everybody gets a ribbon.

Sorry y’all caught me on a sour day

Curiosity question-how many PD’s allow personal weapons to be carried these days vs department issue? Most in my area are issued or they are given an “allowance” as to how much they can spend off an approved list of sidearms.

Doc Holliday, Cojo, rogn and 2 others like this.
  16. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Certainly you don't want to let a good crisis go to waste.

Jonbob, JimWillson and Edward78 like this.
  17. jacinda

jacinda

this thread is awesome

JimWillson, 5.4 Shelby and SARDG like this.
  18. norcalAF

norcalAF

My cousin works for Sacramento metropolitan, he was given a list of choices and an allowance to purchase a sidearm, exactly as you describe. Full disclosure, I'm a military member and have yet to use the blue label program, though I may look into a G20 at some point. Trouble is, in California we can only purchase gen 3 new through the blue label program, though that is a result of our Sacramento overlords, not Glock.

SARDG and Grease Gunner like this.
  19. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Get a BL Gen3 now, and nearly whatever you choose at your next duty station (in a free state).

-JCN- likes this.
  20. mak9mm

mak9mm US Veteran

If I thought, for even a moment, that a 9mm could kill a rogue virus or infection, or protect a medical professional from a rogue virus or infection, I'd be all for it.

Absent that, I'm pretty ambivalent.