What a Difference

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robin303, Feb 25, 2010.

1. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I was going nutz using the Lee Scale. Ordered and received my Dillon Scale today.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    What a difference it makes to your eyes and second guessing. I can kick myself in the butt for not getting it long ago. All I need to do now is get a check weight but I don’t think I want a whole set.

2. RustySocket

RustySocket

I took a couple of bullets to the lab and weighed them on calibrated scales about twenty years ago. I keep them in a case and only use tweezers to handle them... they make great everyday use check weights.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Told you so, told you so, told you, told you, told you so.

4. D. Manley

D. Manley

:supergrin:

The Lee scale is an abomination. If you have eyes good enough to actually read one of them accurately you can also probably see good enough to just "eyeball" the charge weight. I've got one LNIB I've had for some time but I would'nt even give it away to a friend...unless of course, I wanted him to become otherwise.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I like my Lee scale. I only weigh charges to establish a new combo of powder and autodisc size. I don't need to weigh the 0.37 cavity with Bullseye, I already know it throws 3.5 brains just like it did 20 years ago.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah, we try & warn all the newbs about much of the Lee crap. IMO, spend good money on a scale & go cheap Lee dies, but a good measure & scale are worth the money. Glad you came to your senses.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  7. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

:rofl::rofl: Don't you know some people are hard headed and slow LOL.
    I did match the weights with both Dillon and the Lee and the Lee was dead on but I had the feeling I could always be wrong in away.:upeyes:

8. fredj338

fredj338

It's not that the Lee won;t weigh an accurate charge, but it's so much harder to use than just about any other balance beam scale.:dunno:

9. PBKing

PBKing

Here we go with the Crap again..

Oh wait, it is crap. LOL

10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Don't let him make fun of you Robin... it took C4W 30 years just to learn how to spell 'casting', much less try it. :supergrin:

(Although, you have to admit... everyone did tell you so.) :whistling:

Jack

11. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

The only two scales I would recommend would be the "terminator" or the "eliminator" both by Dillon. Oh yes my friends, Blue Rules!
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. fredj338

fredj338

You are too sensative about your gear selection. If you don;t care, I don't care, but if others are asking or looking for better, there is always better.:supergrin: Hey, I own some crap Lee stuff, it works fine for my needs. I also recognize it is crap & expect it to last as long as crap usually does.

13. creophus

creophus Born Again

Yeah that Lee scale is AWFUL!!! I find it to be accurate compared to my 505, but it's just so hard to read. Put something on the 505 and it gives a reading. Put it on the Lee and it will say the same thing as the 505...depending upon the angle of your eye to the scale.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Have you used a better scale then the LEE? You are might defensive about people recommending against the stuff you own. I have a Lee scale. Compared to the Dillon it's junk. It works but it's very frustrating to use. Not trying to be rude but that scale is worth avoiding if at all possible.

15. dudel

dudel

Bet it doesn't (unless your powder is 20 years old). Powder formulations change. Load books change over the years.

16. dudel

dudel

+1 better late than never.

However, I think everyone needs to use (not own) a Lee scale at least once. That way you can understand the difference like the OP did. :supergrin:

17. BK63

BK63

Are we talking digital or balance beam?

18. kcbrown

kcbrown

If anyone wants to send me their Lee scale, I'll be happy to take it off their hands. I'm curious to see just how bad it really is, but see no reason to spend extra money just for that...

Of course, if you're emotionally attached to your Lee scale in some sort of masochistic way, then I suppose I can't entirely fault you for wanting to keep it. :tongueout:

19. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I've gone through somewhere around 20# of Bullseye since 1985 and it hasn't changed one bit. I just went back to Unique after a several year vacation from it. I checked it against my old notes and the same discs throw the same weights as they did 20 years ago. Weighing chrages is over rated. They must be weighed with a reasonable amount of accuracy to verify what you're throwing, and to verify your measure is still set where you put it, but beyond that, it's a waste of time. I always get a kick out of the loading forums on the Brian Enos sight where guys post about what a difference they noticed with 3.3 compared to 3.4 grains of powder "X".

If you use a measure that can't change it's setting, like the Lee Autodisc, you don't need to check things after you get them set up.

20. PBKing

PBKing

Gee I got down here and realized I may have come off the wrong way.

The Lee Scale is Crap. For Real

But its better than nothing.