What 9mm defense ammo to buy with whats available?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by joepa150, Jan 25, 2010.

1. joepa150

joepa150

There isn't much available online as you all know. I wanted Speer Gold Dots 124 or 124 +p but I can't find them. I am thinking about Federal Hydra Shocks or Remington Golden Sabers. Out of the hollow points that ammunitiontogo has left what you you all get for my G19? Any other online retailer that has a better selection right now than ammunitiontogo?

2. milkdud

milkdud

I use Hornady's new Critical Defense ammo and it feeds real well in my Kahr P9. Give it a shot, you'll like it. Availability for it is no problem here in NW Florida. :supergrin:

3. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Any quality designer that meets the FBI protocols ammo will work just fine. There isn't much difference in them, and if you can figure out which difference will matter in advance you can probably figure out not to need to use a handgun for that situation.

4. waldershrek

waldershrek

Whatever brand you decide on get 147gr +P

5. Resqu2

Resqu2

6. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Federal Tactical Premium and it's not even close. The load designer for federal says this is the best they have out.

7. MountainPacker

MountainPacker

Be aware, Hornady Critical Defense is specifically engineered not to meet the FBI standard. The FBI standard includes a minimum of 12" penetration. HCD is designed with the objective to never exceed 12" penetration.

8. Pintail55

Pintail55

9. STI

STI

We used Ranger T and Gold Dot when we had 9's, they both worked well, it's basically personal opinion. I carry the same in my 357 Sig, right now it has Ranger T in it.
    In the 9's we were issued Black Talons at one time and they did not perform as well as the newer stuff does. Get a modern HP round, shoot some to check function & accuracy and forget it.

10. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

11. Hackett

Hackett

get the weight and powder load closest to what you shoot the best. bigger or faster isn't better if you're less accurate.

+P in 9mm doesn't mean much when most self defense shots are taken at close range.

Just make sure you are proficient with what you choose and that it's not of questionable integrity.

Personally, I like MagTech HP's and Speer GoldDots just the same, and in the same weight as my round-nose range rounds.

12. joepa150

joepa150

Who makes Ranger-T? Is it Winchester? Anyone online have those in stock?

13. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, Winchester makes the Ranger line. The Talons (T) are a non bonded JHP that is essentially the next generation version of the old Black Talon. The most common is RA9T which uses a 147gr bullet. It is a good round. Everything in the Ranger line is, and Gold Dots...especially the 124+P...are a 'gold standard' for 9mm defensive ammunition.

Winchester also makes bonded Rangers, such as RA9B (147gr bonded). This is the current FBI round of choice for 9mm.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The Winchester PDX is also getting very good reviews. Its a bonded bullet, if you like that(I do), and Winchester is working on making it widely available, unlike the Ranger.

Personally, I like 147gr Gold Dots. Penetration, expansion, bonded bullet.. hard to beat. It also helps they are typically pretty easy to find around here. A close second, would be the 124gr +P Gold Dot.

15. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, the Ranger line is more difficult to find since Winchester's policy is law enforcment sales only.

I too like bonded bullets for carry. Penetration > expansion, but these days they get plenty of expansion. Great weight retention and good through barriers, the most notable and common being auto (windshield) glass.

The PDX1 is sold in relatively expensive 20 round boxes though, is it not?

The best deals around are still the 50 round boxes of the good stuff marketed towards law enforcement agencies. I have quite a few of those 50 round boxes I got at great prices. Heck, my Gold Dots were $18.50/50 several years ago and I only paid about $25 shipped, IIRC, (if not less) for my 50 round boxes of RA9B

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've saw them around $20-$25 for the 20rd boxes. A little high, but its not that bad. Unfortunately I think the days of the $19 box of 20 is over.

17. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

I keep 124gr +p gold dots in my G17.

18. ronin.45

ronin.45

This. If you buy a modern defensive load from a name manufacturer you will get the performance you need.

19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I got tired of trying to find HP ammo that worked reliably in my pistol. I use plain ole Federal AE FMJ. Yep plain ole FMJ. I know I am in the minority on t his decision but it works for me. Generally speaking, I certainly believe in the idea and use of a good HP round but as far as one HP round being significantly better than the next HP round, eh not so much.

20. coal

coal

This.

That said, I prefer bonded, prefer Gold Dots, and prefer 147gr. However, I'd be fine with HST, Rangers and Golden Sabers. I'd also be fine with 124gr +p. Use what runs 100% in your gun. Load data in signature.