What 9mm ammo do you prefer for competing?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by CDR_Glock, Apr 26, 2018.

1. GunBugBit

GunBugBit

I haven't even shot it yet but over the last weekend I loaded 147gr Bayou Hi-Tek coated lead flat points over 3.0gr of Titegroup, OAL 1.135". I decided to start here based on input from several experienced competitors who reload 9mm for their Glock 34s. After I chrono this load and shoot a couple of matches with it, I'll let you know how it is. I'm told it is a sweet-shooting load and does make the floor of minor PF.

happie2shoot likes this.
  2. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

I have tried everything from 90 grains to 160 grains and for the most part, I stick with 124s. Sure, you might get a little softer recoil with 147s and 160s and if you are starting out, might be a good choice. Grip strength and a faster cycling time keep the muzzle flatter, which helps you settle on the next shot faster.

Regardless of 9mm, I shoot 124 HPs. IDPA, USPSA (2 pistols and PCC), 3Gun, 2Gun, Steel Challenge, Precision, Bullseye, etc. When I go to 3Gun matches, I take a +P 147 grain just in case there are some really heavy targets.

Gloctapus likes this.

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Yea, I keep a couple of boxes of 147s in case there is a MGM spinner at a 3 gun match (not a legal target for USPSA Multi Gun).

4. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Actually, it is. Requiring a rotate is not legal, but it can be used as two plates. It has been used in several NROI approved stages in majors.

5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Mark, is there an NROI ruling on that? So in that case you don't have to flip it over? It's just the same as 2 plates...

6. Ralph Mitchell

Ralph Mitchell

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Like I said earlier, allot of 115's won't make the power floor, which means, if you are chrono'd, and don't meet it, you can finish the match, but your scores will not be uploaded.

8. dbow

dbow

I really like any ammo made by freedom ammo. That being said...
    147 vs anything else? I'm not into shooting that much that i care that much about it. I shoot anywhere from 2-3 matches per month. I've noticed that 147 grain is less recoil however when i shoot double taps it takes longer to acquire the target. 115 recoil is more recoil but double taps are easier.

I dunno man...This last week i spent a lot of time dry fire and trying other pistols out. I've gone to two matches this week and i have to tell you a couple things: First, maybe it's just me, but i didn't notice anybody shooting better than me because of their ammo. I shot with a guy who reloads by buying a 64 gallon barrel of used casings, he sorts them and reloads them. Says it takes him 60 hours or more. He didn't shoot better then me by a long shot. Actually he shot like crap and had many failure to loads. (springfield 1911)...Maybe if he'd spend that much time shooting idk right? Secondly, Glock is the only gun i've ever owned that can shoot pretty much anything without any issues. I saw a 2k 1911 yesterday lock up and a cz loaded with aftermarket crap have issues as well. My point is, maybe your like me and you just want to shoot. If you are, buy freedom, shoot all day long and avoid reloading. In my opinion, unless you are shooting 1k rounds every week, it's not worth it.

The biggest lesson i've learned this month is more dry fire and confidence. I'd like to see a glock 17 shoot from a vice all the different ammo weights and see what the gun actually does different.

9. Gloctapus

Gloctapus

http://www.victorygunblog.com/blog/barrelrace17

Also, if I was paying Freedom Munitons prices, I’d buy me some Federal American Eagle 124’s instead. Same price or cheaper by the case. It’s what Ben Stoeger uses for matches.