Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If, for whatever reason, you could only shoot a .22LR pistol (age, hand strength, etc) which one would you choose for home defense?

Pistol, no rifles, no other caliber than .22LR, please...

·
Giant Member
6,770 Posts
I have a JC Higgins in my safe that was my dads so I'd probably go with that. 9 shots and if one doesn't go bang in a SD situation just pull the trigger again.

I think Sears sold a ton of these back in the day. My dad bought his as a teenager in the 50's and he and his buddies would plink rats down at the local dump with them.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
19 Posts
For reliability sake, I guess my 9-round Taurus 94. The Beretta 71 (8+1) does have a history of successfully dispatching terrorists. I carry my Beretta 21a (7+1) the most, while walking my dogs IWB appendix. My Browning 1911-22 (10+1) is just badass.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Top to Bottom:
'69 Ruger Standard
'62 Beretta 71
Taurus 94
Browning 1911-22
Browning Buckmark Micro Plus Pro Target
Walther PPK/s
S&W 422
Beretta 21a Bobcat

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I have two .22 pistols reliable enough to consider;
S&W Plastic M&P Compact - light and handy.
Nelson Conversion on the Caspian frame of my least used .45. Accurate and steady.
Under your restrictions, I would probably keep them both loaded, carrying the SW.

My CZ Kadet Conversion is reliable in feed and function, but I would have to put the stock mainspring back in it to avoid the occasional misfire with .22s.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a JC Higgins in my safe that was my dads so I'd probably go with that. 9 shots and if one doesn't go bang in a SD situation just pull the trigger again.

I think Sears sold a ton of these back in the day. My dad bought his as a teenager in the 50's and he and his buddies would plink rats down at the local dump with them.

View attachment 1062157
Any time you see something marked JC Higgins it's a good idea to check who made it because there were some fantastic guns that were sold cheap because of the name that was stamped on them... a good example being JC Higgins marked FN Mausers which were the same as the FN Mausers sold by Browning but for the one with the big name you're paying an extra thousand Bazooka Joe Comics.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If, for whatever reason, you could only shoot a .22LR pistol (age, hand strength, etc) which one would you choose for home defense?

Pistol, no rifles, no other caliber than .22LR, please...
All my .22 handguns are single action Rugers and you could probably live with a convertible .22 LR / .22 WMR Single Six being your only gun for a lifetime. If using a .22 for personal protection I'd pick any Single Six with either .22 LR CCI Stingers or .22 LR Aguila 60 gr subsonic, or with the .22 Magnum cylinder with a decent flat point CCI FMJ or Aguila's 40 gr JSP load.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts