Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do some .22 target shooting at the local range but I don't have a good .22 pistol. So I was wondering what yinz think.

Browning or Ruger? If so, which one and why?

Target vs Hunter?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Well, for target shooting any quality .22 will do. Ruger's set the standard, Browning Buckmark is also a strong contender.

If you own a gun for which a conversion kit is available, such as a Beretta 92, CZ, or Sig 226 that is in my opinion a fun and interesting way to go at it. Plus it gets you some practice, or rather some degrees of practice, with your full size firearm.

·
M&P
5,931 Posts
There are lots of options:
Ruger MK I, ii, iii
Ruger Single Six
Colt Woodsman
Sig Trailside
Smith 41, 422, 622, 317, 617, 63
Walther P22
ATI GSG 1911 in .22lr
Buckmark

·
Registered
237 Posts
Get a Buck Mark. 10 shots from a sand bag rest at 21'. That is a 0.261" group.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

·
Elite Member
6,643 Posts
I have shot many .22 pistols including a Ruger MkII, Sig Trailside and S&W 41. My Browning Buckmark Camper is the most accurate handgun that I have ever shot and the factory trigger is amazing. Reliability is great, I don't ever remember having a problem that wasn't ammo related.

·
Registered
231 Posts
take a look at the ISSC M-22. There are some posts on this forum and you can find a torture test on Youtube where they ran 500 rounds thru in an hour before it got dirty.
I got one for my wife and it is a super gun that looks like a Glock 19. Occasionally, she will let me borrow it. It is inexpensive and works well. Accurate too.
http://www.issc-austria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree with the Ruger MK I and MK II or even the Buckmark. Whatever you do, stay away from the Ruger MK III!

There have been many "discussions" about the MK III, if not here, then on many other forums. I am tired of going into specifics (though I probably will end up doing so again), so search Google, Bing or whatever for "problems with the Ruger MK III".

I know that there happy MK III owners out there, but the MANY known problems with the MK III cannot be denied.

Please search this before buying one or even asking me more about them. I have one and am speaking from experience.
And yes, I also know personally of at least 9 other's with the same problems at my local gun club.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
I want to do some .22 target shooting at the local range but I don't have a good .22 pistol. So I was wondering what yinz think.

Browning or Ruger? If so, which one and why?

Target vs Hunter?
Day in and day out, it's really hard to be a Ruger. I very much like the standard type MK. II. The MK. III is probably just as good, but I happen to own a Mk. II, so... that's what I shoot! JMHO

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
Not sure how much you want to spend, but the Smith and Wesson model 41 is the bee's knees. I just put a mini- red-dot from Bushnell on this 41 and it's laser beam accurate.

Another good choice is the Ruger Mark II Target.

deadite

·
Registered
9,131 Posts

·
woo woo
31,041 Posts
The Browning Buttmark or the Ruger MKII are fine choices, I love my MKII, feeds everything and is very accurate.

·
Registered
213 Posts
S&W model 22. Already set up for a red dot or scope. Very accurate.
If you mean REAL target shooting then a High Standard or a S&W 41. I have NEVER seen a Ruger on the 25 or 50 yard Bullseye line.
Peter.

·
woo woo
31,041 Posts
Most the folks at my local bullseye range are using Pardini/EEA and Walther target pistols, but there are Rugers that shoot right along with High Standards. Lots of VQ upgrades for cheap that will make a Ruger competitive.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I know that there happy MK III owners out there, but the MANY known problems with the MK III cannot be denied.
I have one of each and haven't experienced any problems with either (unless you include the effect that the magazine safety has on the ridiculous assembly procedure).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts