Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As to my question. It comes with a premise. Revolvers are better than autoloaders at contact and CQB distance. Much easier to push or grab a slide out of battery VS stopping the cylinder from revolving.

Revolvers should in my opinion be the primary line of defense against an attacker when limited to concealed weapons in non-permissive environment in addition to a compact fixed blade fighting knife.

I carry three weapons.

1.) Revolver for the weak hand

S&W M&P 340, 638 Bodyguard, 686 P 3 inch or New Colt King Cobra 2 inch (all with night sights) in a left hand appendix holster.

2.) Automatic for the dominant hand

Springfield Hellcat. 15 round spare mag in a horizontal mag carrier.

3.) Double edged 3 inch fixed blade karambit.

The S&W M&P 340 is my first choice as a contact distance weapon coupled with the karambit. Can be pressed into an attacker and it’s difficult to grab the cylinder in a dynamic on the ground type of fight.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
136 Posts
As to my question. It comes with a premise. Revolvers are better than autoloaders at contact and CQB distance. Much easier to push or grab a slide out of battery VS stopping the cylinder from revolving.

Revolvers should in my opinion be the primary line of defense against an attacker when limited to concealed weapons in non-permissive environment in addition to a compact fixed blade fighting knife.

I carry three weapons.

1.) Revolver for the dominant hand

S&W M&P 340, 686P or New Colt King Cobra 2 inch (all with night sights) in a right hand appendix holster.

2.) Automatic for the weak hand

Springfield Hellcat. 15 round reload in a kydex horizontal mag carrier.

View attachment 1018462
i only count two...

whats the third?

·
NRA Life Member
69,880 Posts
What’s Your Get The **** Off Me Gun?

Whatever gun I'm carrying.

I don't carry 2 guns, because I'm no longer the police and don't have to go looking for trouble or stay for extended gunfights.

I don't carry 3 guns, because I'm not living in a fictional action movie.

Carrying 2-3 guns + appendix holster makes me think . . . Ninja:

Off topic, my father used to have a copy of the shooting investigation statement of a small town eastern Kentucky police officer who carried 5 handguns at work in the '80s. He had a 1911 .45 on his right hip, a .357 revolver on his left hip (the city policy said he had to carry a revolver, but they didn't say "only" a revolver), a J frame in his back pocket and a couple of others on each ankle. He said the .45 was his "meat gun." One night a burglar at the local pharmacy pulled a .22 pistol on him during a foot pursuit. 😆 Didn't go well for the burglar. Death/shooting investigation followed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the an auto loader can be pushed out of battery at “contact” distances…but you can’t get the web of a hand or a piece of meat in between the hammer and the gun at contact range?

interesting
My wheel gun of choice has an enclosed or internal hammer. My 686P 3 inch and New King Cobra 2 inch have bobbed hammers with very rounded surfaces.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s actually very easy to stop a revolver cylinder from moving. Try it with an unloaded revolver, but have someone on the muzzle end grab the gun with a normal grip and I guarantee you that you dont have a strong enough finger to pull the trigger.
That’s true. At least the revolver won’t go out of battery when pressed up against an attacker. There’s that in its favor.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
While on duty, my BUG was always a J frame (different models over the years), one of the reasons that I picked the J frame was for the "Get Off Me" role. However, I never carried a second gun off-duty and nowadays do not carry a second gun. If needed, I still have a J frame that could fill that role though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That’s true. At least the revolver won’t go out of battery when pressed up against an attacker. There’s that in its favor.
There's classes in defensive pistol that teach contact drills. Maybe look into those so you don't have to carry so many guns.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
So the an auto loader can be pushed out of battery at “contact” distances…but you can’t get the web of a hand or a piece of meat in between the hammer and the gun at contact range?

interesting
Just grab the cylinder. Revolver won't cycle...or jam your hand between frame and hammer. Revolver wont fire.
Revolvers are heavy, low capacity and easy to put out of order.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts

I don't carry 2 guns, because I'm no longer the police and don't have to go looking for trouble or stay for extended gunfights.

Off topic, my father used to have a copy of the shooting investigation statement of a small town eastern Kentucky police officer who carried 5 handguns at work in the '80s. He had a 1911 .45 on his right hip, a .357 revolver on his left hip (the city policy said he had to carry a revolver, but they didn't say "only" a revolver), a J frame in his back pocket and a couple of others on each ankle. He said the .45 was his "meat gun." One night a burglar at the local pharmacy pulled a .22 pistol on him during a foot pursuit. 😆 Didn't go well for the burglar. Death/shooting investigation followed.
Sounds like he followed the One-Armed Deputy Clyde philosophy!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I get it. However, my mall ninja training in the past dictated a weapon for each hand in case of an attacker gaining control of my dominant weapon hand/arm. I can simply pull out my BUG or the knife for the stabby stab stabs with my weak hand.

I even carry a pocket gun/ankle gun in addition to the aforementioned Hellcat & S&W 340 appendix + knife combo at certain times.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just grab the cylinder. Revolver won't cycle...or jam your hand between frame and hammer. Revolver wont fire.
Revolvers are heavy, low capacity and easy to put out of order.
That’s why I carry bare minimum two weapons. One for each hand. Revolver goes down. I draw Hellcat or the fixed blade karambit. Nasty little double edged blade that one.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts