Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a troll post... just genuinely curious. Is there any practical purpose for the 500 beyond “cool” factor?

I bought my first handgun when I moved to Colorado in 1999. It was a 357 Ruger GP100 I took on camping trips. I still have it. Over the years I’ve expanded my collection with the typical calibers: 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP, 556, .30-06, .308, 12ga, 20ga, etc.

I remember when the 500 came out in the early 2000’s (and in my younger days) that it was “cool,” but I couldn’t think of a reason for ever buying one. I guess I haven’t changed much in the last 20 years, as I still don’t see a real purpose for it. And if I ever did want a big bore revolver, I’d probably just go for a 454 Casull.

So - what am I missing? Help a brother out here.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,942 Posts
S&W sales were flagging in the wake of the 'Hillary Hole' debacle. Being king of the caliber mountain was a good attention getter.

Reactions: Deltic

·
19,061 Posts
They are fun to shoot. Not every gun has to have a "purpose" besides that. But they're also good for hunting if you can practice enough to get good with it, which you can do, if you reload. I'd rather have one in a single shot carbine like the old Browning B78 but nobody makes one.

Big Horn Armory makes a a real nice lever-action rifle but it costs thousands of dollars. A Ruger Number one would be another nice gun in that caliber but they cost a lot of money too, so forget about finding an old one an having it rebarreled.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I see no need for corvettes but there are quite a few people that buy them... you know, just saying. ;);)

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have magnums to include the 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum in revolvers.

Over a years time, 2017 or 2018, I acquired a 44 Magnum from a friend, but progressed each month going bigger to the 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum. I reload so it wasn’t as expensive as buying factory ammunition. I have written a post about it (progression in Large Bore Magnums). I honestly just wanted to test my own limits in shooting, handling, and getting accustomed to shooting some calibers that the average person cannot or will not try. I understand that. The flinch response can lead to major inaccuracies across the board. However, I have broken boards and bricks with my bare hands in Karate, and figured, what’s a little recoil?

I now have several 44 Magnum, 3 454 Casull, a 460 Magnum, and 3 500 Magnum revolvers.

If you don’t reload, it can cost in upwards of $60-$70 a box depending upon grain weight and caliber.

For the average gun toting American outside of Grizzly country, there is no practical purpose to NEED a 500 Magnum shooting bullets from 500-700 grains.

However, For me, “MURICA is why.” There is no other reason necessary. We all have our pet calibers that we enjoy shooting, carrying, or hunting with.

I have acquired chest holsters to carry my revolvers in different calibers, with or without optics.

These are my revolvers minus 3: a S&W 629 44 Magnum 6.5”, S&W 500 Magnum 6.5” and Chiappa Rhino 60DS 6 Shot 357 Magnum didn’t make the pics, YET.

S&W

Ruger

Taurus. Yes, Taurus. Nothing is wrong with them. I have one from 1994 and it’s been good to me.

I’m a hobbyist, a scientist, and I like to experiment.

The 500 Magnum has the widest choices of bullet weights of any handgun, from 280 to 700 grains. It can be shot with 500-700 grain bullets for CXP4 animals (rhino, hippo, elephant, Cape buffalo), but it can be toned down to lower grains for CXP2 animals (deer, black bear, wild boar). It can be shot in lower velocities such as 500 special or moderate velocities with bullets ranging from 280-325 grains.

Being a reloader, I like to experiment and experience the various levels of recoil from my 3 500 Magnum revolvers: 4”, 5”, and 6.5” barrel lengths. I find the recoil of the longer barrels than these, to have moderate recoil because of sheer size and weight.

I enjoy the moderate weighted 325 gr and 350 gr bullets, where I can shoot 30-35 rounds comfortably. Since I single stage reload these, it takes a lot longer than if I had a progressive. I am in the process of getting a conversion for my Dillon 550, but with covid that will have to wait. I did set up my Turret Press which did cut my reloading time in half.

The heavier 500 gr bullets are stout. I can only tolerate shooting about 20 rounds of it, Hornady 500 gr XTP.

I shoot out to 100 yards with my 5” barrel at steel plates.

I have used my S&W 500 Magnum 4” for fun when I want to destroy large electronics, milk jugs, and large hostile fruit.

Is there a practical reason to have 1, 2, or even 25 revolvers? It’s America. We don’t need practical reasons. Just a desire to enjoy what we have and the freedom to own whatever the F we want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Banned
600 Posts
I have magnums to include the 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum in revolvers.

Over a years time, 2017 or 2018, I acquired a 44 Magnum from a friend, but progressed each month going bigger to the 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum. I reload so it wasn’t as expensive as buying factory ammunition. I have written a post about it (progression in Large Bore Magnums). I honestly just wanted to test my own limits in shooting, handling, and getting accustomed to shooting some calibers that the average person cannot or will not try. I understand that. The flinch response can lead to major inaccuracies across the board. However, I have broken boards and bricks with my bare hands in Karate, and figured, what’s a little recoil?

I now have several 44 Magnum, 3 454 Casull, a 460 Magnum, and 3 500 Magnum revolvers.

If you don’t reload, it can cost in upwards of $60-$70 a box depending upon grain weight and caliber.

For the average gun toting American outside of Grizzly country, there is no practical purpose to NEED a 500 Magnum shooting bullets from 500-700 grains.

However, For me, “MURICA is why.” There is no other reason necessary. We all have our pet calibers that we enjoy shooting, carrying, or hunting with.

I have acquired chest holsters to carry my revolvers in different calibers, with or without optics.

These are my revolvers minus 3: a S&W 629 44 Magnum 6.5”, S&W 500 Magnum 6.5” and Chiappa Rhino 60DS 6 Shot 357 Magnum didn’t make the pics, YET.

S&W

Ruger

Taurus. Yes, Taurus. Nothing is wrong with them. I have one from 1994 and it’s been good to me.

The 500 Magnum has the widest choices of bullet weights of any handgun, from 280 to 700 grains. It can be shot with 500-700 grain bullets for CXP4 animals (rhino, hippo, elephant, Cape buffalo), but it can be toned down to lower grains for CXP2 animals (deer, black bear, wild boar). It can be shot in lower velocities such as 500 special or moderate velocities with bullets ranging from 280-325 grains.

Being a reloader, I like to experiment and experience the various levels of recoil from my 3 500 Magnum revolvers: 4”, 5”, and 6.5” barrel lengths. I find the recoil of the longer barrels than these, to have moderate recoil because of sheer size and weight.

I enjoy the moderate weighted 325 gr and 350 gr bullets, where I can shoot 30-35 rounds comfortably. Since I single stage reload these, it takes a lot longer than if I had a progressive. I am in the process of getting a conversion for my Dillon 550, but with covid that will have to wait. I did set up my Turret Press which did cut my reloading time in half.

The heavier 500 gr bullets are stout. I can only tolerate shooting about 20 rounds of it, Hornady 500 gr XTP.

I have used my S&W 500 Magnum 4” for fun when I want to destroy large electronics, milk jugs, and large hostile fruit.

Is there a practical reason to have 1, 2, or even 25 revolvers? It’s America. We don’t need practical reasons. Just a desire to enjoy what we have and the freedom to own whatever the F we want.

Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD
Nice collection! What brand of Micro dot sights you using?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
There are a couple of single shot 500's out there. I don't think they make the handi rifle anymore, but you see them on Gunbroker pretty often. They typically sell for 500-600 bucks. There's also the Thompson Katahdin in a single shot. Looks pretty sweet, but you are also looking at 800 bucks give or take.

I had a 454 Alaskan. Was fairly brutal to shoot with high powered 454 rounds, pretty pleasant to shoot with 45LC. Coolness factor was a 7 or 8. Traded it a few months ago for a 8-3/8" barrel 500. Coolness factor is an 11. Every time I pull it out of the safe I smile. This is something you have to actually see and handle in person to apprreciate it. The thing is a monster.

Have not even shot it yet, but should be in the next week or two. Maybe tomorrow, tentative outdoor range trip in the works. Maybe after I shoot it the shine will wear off, but in the mean time it just seems like everybody should own something in a 50 cal.

View attachment 757186

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

S&W

Ruger

Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD
Nice collection but how come there’s no single actions ?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts