What’s the deal with open carry??

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by boatman1, Sep 8, 2019.

1. boatman1

boatman1

i’m not An expert on any of this so please feel free to set me straight.

I live in Georgia and have a carry permit. I have always thought it pretty stupid to open carry my weapon because I figure if there is an issue I am telegraphing for the bad guy to shoot me first whereas if I carry concealed I may have an advantage.

I know that a lot of people are really mad about Walmart disallowing open carry but continuing to allow concealed carry for permit holders. To me, it’s not a big deal. I hear some people say they will feel less safe because they can no longer carry a weapon when they go to Walmart. But they can get a permit and continue to carry, so what am I missing?

Also, all the other stores are getting on this band wagon on disallowing weapons but I haven’t heard them say if they are OK with carrying concealed as long as you have a permit. If they are saying no guns at all then I have a problem with it but if you can still carry concealed with a permit then it’s not a big issue for me. Am I missing something??

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I agree, Open carry is a fool’s errand.

3. TeaDub

TeaDub

4. talon

talon

I think OC should be legal just so that if I have to remove my cover garment for some reason I'm not committing a crime.

n2g, Intolerant, Stevekozak and 18 others like this.
  5. illrooster132

illrooster132

open carry is for those who want to show off what they have. this is my personal opinion.
    open carry work in urban places not in big cities. if I was to live in Montana I would be more than happy to open carry but I live in Miami. i think it depends on the place where it would work, the city is not the place.

6. R*E

R*E

Don't you know that open carry prevents many things.:honkie:

gunowner1 likes this.
  7. sonoma

sonoma

I live in a rural part of the country where open carry is pretty normal.It is just more comfortable for most people.People should have the right to carry however they like.Some are worried that since walmart banned open carry it will only be a matter of time before concealed carry is banned.Me ex bank and the one movie theater in town have metal detectors so I won't be surprised when walmart gets them too.

Stevekozak, NewWaveGuy and Jisbell40 like this.
  8. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Carry concealed then don't ask, don't tell.

9. Finestkind

Finestkind

I am thinking that in GA you are supposed to have a carry permit to open carry also. Am I wrong in that thinking?

Finestkind

mdlott likes this.
  10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Our Georgia permit allows for open or concealed carry.

11. K. Foster

K. Foster

I support people’s right to open carry but it has many negatives and no positives. I don’t want anyone to know I have a gun until I want them to know I have a gun.

12. TeaDub

TeaDub

A part of me understands Walmart's decision on the open carry part. There have been a number of people making poor decisions there. Wasn't it a Walmart where a guy thought it a great idea to dress up in "war" clothes and parade around inside with a loaded AR right after a mass shooting at a Walmart?

While I fully support someone's right to OC, we are seeing the result of those "2nd Amendment Audits". Businesses say enough, stay away.

I am a bit more ticked at Walmart for stopping some ammo sales and especially their coming out in favor of a renewed AWB. Not cool.

13. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Lotsa folks "open carry" because it makes them feel ten feet tall and bullet-proof! It shows the whole world that even though I am physically a wimp, with my my "hawgleg" strapped on, I'm a real badazz!

Most places out here in the "wild west," open carry will cause people to laugh at you.

14. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Like most things this has gotten blown way out of proportion. At the risk of alienating open carry advocates, they’ve done it to theirselves. The segment of open carry advocates with their “audits”, which only take place in locations guaranteed to cause a disturbance, has done as much if not more to damage the public’s views on all gun owners as the recent shootings. Strictly my opinion. While it may not always be the case, most of them appear to be nothing more than attention grabbing whores looking for YouTube hits and care little for the actual advancement of the gun rights cause. Anyone with any decency or common sense would not walk around crowded locales with a slung rifle after a recent mass shooting. And then have an attitude about it when they are confronted by law enforcement. I know we have OC advocates here on the forum and my post is not to inflame or degrade anyone, but to merely express a viewpoint.

15. B C

B C

For me it is the further demonizing of gun owners and those that carry guns, open or concealed. This all sets a precedent. Conceal carry will be next on their list.

16. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Saw a guy yesterday open carrying 2 357 magnums. Very intimidating. One on each hip. It’s not like mass shooters pick and choose they just fire at will.

17. GeorgiaGlocker

:goodpost:

n2g and Intolerant like this.
  18. GeorgiaGlocker

Yep, the next logical step.

19. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

The old Sergeant at the Nassau County (NY) Pistol Permit Bureau told me: "Carry your belly gun. We don't want to hear someone took a locked box of pistols off you. Conceal it good .. We don't want little old ladies calling us about 'a man with a gun'" .... :supergrin:

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I wouldn't open carry unless I was in the woods. I am only sorry about Walmart saying "no open carry" because where else can I see a guy carrying a 6" Ruger Super Blackhawk in a nylon holster strapped on over basketball shorts? Flip flops and a wifebeater, of course. (literally true, in my local store)