Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hunting round for closeup opportunities.
Barnes Tac XP, HST, Hornady XTP..

Of course many others as well but those above are reliable and work just fine. I live in rural area lots of big damaging pest like groundhogs and occasional giant rat and lots of other things.

On a side note groundhogs look "cute" to some people so I've been told but if you ever find one around your home get rid of it quick they dig like nothing else and can mess your house foundation up, I found this out first hand.

·
I'm not retired
8,258 Posts
If I'm using a 40 S&W as trail defense, I want as much stopping power as I can get out of that round and bullet. Underwood has the 'Extreme Penetrator' that is solid copper and fluted. The flutes are smaller than the 'Extreme Defender' so there is better penetration while still creating a temporary and permanent wound channel. Goes through bone, too, without deforming like a hollow point will. 140 grains at 1200 fps isn't the most powerful boolit out there but a couple shots in the right spot will make most things that breathe think twice about biting you.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
8,370 Posts
It really depends on what you're potentially hunting, but assuming you don't reload and want some rounds with more power than typical factory ammo, look at Underwood, Buffalo Bore or DoubleTap. For deer sized game factory ammo (XTP, HST, Gold Dot) should work just fine.

·
In The Saddle
10,967 Posts
I don't hunt with my G22.3, but would take it on deer if I wanted to...
Anything 'woodsy,' to answer your question and I hand load up 200gr WFN Hard Cast bullets..

IF, they don't work well in your chamber, next up, 180gr WFN HC...
These will drill through deer like a cookie cutter.... ;)

Good luck !

ssaw
stay safe and well

CM

·
Registered
319 Posts
Could be. I don't look at every post. Point some out and I'll read them.

Silly me, there was nothing on the topic of hunting with Glocks. Can't imagine what forum I read that in.
Obviously wasn't GT...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Factory ammo for deer sized game close up, the Hornady Custom .40 180 gr. XTP should work fine. Afield carry when I don't know what might come up, that is what I carry.

No one has weighed in yet, but I bump that up to Double Tap .40 S&W 200 gr. WNGC hard cast lead bullet ammo when carrying my G23 or M&P .40 in bear country. That would work on deer, hogs, etc but not strictly necessary for your intended purpose.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts

Silly me, there was nothing on the topic of hunting with Glocks. Can't imagine what forum I read that in.
Obviously wasn't GT...
So I read them. They are in Forums I don't look for since I'm not interested in the subject. But hope you find what you are looking for.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts