Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
The only topic more volatile than this is Covid…

Welcome though! There’s plenty of caliber debates. The summation is that: there is no “best” caliber to carry…. There may be a “better” one here or there but there’s no absolute best answer

·
Registered
13,821 Posts
I'd go for something that doesn't make a lot of noise smoke or recoil. People put too much on stopping power.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
The most powerful one that YOU can control, shoot well and is of a size that you will always have on you. This varies from person to person.
Well said.

·
Native Mainiac
26,331 Posts
Easy answer, directly from Mr. Herter himself....
"The fabulous .401 Powermag...is the ideal large caliber revolver cartridge. Will kill any animal on the face of the earth, or shoot through the cylinder block of any automobile. It will flatten any human, no matter where you hit him...This is the finest big game or law enforcement revolver...With this revolver you can hunt deer, and all North American and African game...".

·
NRA Life Member
5,904 Posts
The most powerful one that YOU can control, shoot well and is of a size that you will always have on you. This varies from person to person.
This is the best answer.

For most people this will be somewhere between .380 and .45acp.

9mmHarry, your GT name likely contains your answer.

Reactions: Yankeefan816

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Any caliber is better than none.

Reactions: jr24

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have decided 9mm is fine for a myriad of reasons but first and foremost is that I can shoot it well, the guns I like are chambered in it, I can readily find ammo in 9mm, and it doesn't cost so much that it is prohibitively expensive to shoot it.

Although, when I go camping I usually bring my Smith and Wesson .357 magnum revolver.

Reactions: Yankeefan816

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I frequently carry .45 Super and have no qualms with it. It's the best of both 9mm (9x19) and .45 ACP worlds.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts