Whaddya Make Of This...?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Arquebus12, Feb 8, 2010.

1. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

You a-gonna store that re-union magazine on your strong side or weak side? :headscratch:

2. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Sure. I could give you a nice set of 38D's if you like as well. :rofl:

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

You don't have to be an LEO to comment on an officer's appearance... that guy is a heart attack in waiting...

OTOH, we don't know if he's really a cop. Could be one of those security guards that have uniforms very close to real cop uniforms.....

OTOH, again, I knew a great Cop who's thyroid gland went berserk and he gained like 100lbs in 6 months.

Not all cops can look like this:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/HootersCops.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  4. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

I'm with NYC Drew on this one - I think we're looking at a pic from a movie or something...

In fact, I'm sure of it - because he looks like a sergeant in The Apple Dumpling Gang! :rofl:

kestrou

5. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Cop, Security Guard or whatever he is, its a shame to see someone in that condition. Now I'm not saying one needs to be in top physical condition, but that is a little too much. Who knows though, he could be a great cop. Physical appearance isn't everything in the LE profession.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

hey! Yer supposed to be my sworn arch-rival!

Now say something nasty about me/ disagree with me to make it right!!! :supergrin:

7. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Knock it off. You're thumping your chest on a funny picture thread. My funny picture thread. You immediately got defensive, as was evidenced by your very first post, because you've got problems with your self image. If it makes you uncomfortable, start another thread, and quit reading this one. As it's been said a half dozen times already, we don't even know if it's a real cop, a real pic, or even real fat on the guy in the pic.

Quit picking god damn fights on my thread. Show some damned respect, and you're likely to get some in return.

8. sargespd

sargespd

Ok, I'll "weigh in" here. First, I am a 23 year veteran cop, and spent 10 of that as a sergeant myself, so to those who say, "oh yeah, well you aren't a cop so you got nothing to say", I speak from experience. Fact is, that guy is a hazard to himself, his community, and his co-workers. Any officer in that poor physical condition is absolutely NOT able to adequately perform the duties of a police officer. I am not in the shape I should be, and I am the first to admit that, but nowhere near the guy in the picture. If he were required to respond on foot to something going on more than a short distance from his patrol car, he would certainly be so out of breath as to be nearly useless. If one of his fellow officers is getting his ass kicked, he has a duty to be able to get there and assist, and if he can't, he is a problem. If a citizen needs help, they have a right to expect the officer to be able to get there and help them. Yes, he can do the paperwork, he may know more about the law and the job in general than anyone else in the department, but if he can't physically do what is needed, he is not fit to serve. I am not a "SWAT God" either, just a 46 year old carrying about 25 extra pounds. But I was NEVER in a situation that left me physical unable to do my job.
    [​IMG]

9. sargespd

sargespd

Oh yeah, and you can't see it in the pic, but my mags are carried strong side, horizontal, which for me is on my left side, with the mag pouches opening right at my center line. As someone else said, I can access them more quickly and efficiently from that position that anywhere else. Less movement required to get them out and into the gun.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sarge,

WHY are you talking pics on my street???! :)

I think WPRE just got too defensive about the thing...unfortunately, cops are a big source of the jollies around here, but in the grand scheme of things, no less than politicians, attorneys, teachers, people doing silly things, etc etc.

Stay safe out there.

'Drew
    :cool:

11. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

I am? :headscratch: Didn't get that memo - didn't know I was the sworn arch-rival of anybody on GT. :)

But... now that you mention it - yo momma does dress you funny! :tongueout:

kestrou

P.S. - Yup, going "straight to the bottom" with Yo Moma jokes! :rofl:

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Jest funning sir. :supergrin:

13. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

I feel bad for that Cop in the picture if he ever had to go on a foot chase because his heart would probably give out.

He's just big boned, that's all.

Maybe a reserve cop? In the Army we used to get some big boys come down from the reserve/ANG and it seemed like they used to bring whoever volunteered from the town. Some big hosses!

14. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

You think you have no problem with command presence. Command presence isn't how YOU feel about yourself, it's how others perceive you. I'm sorry, but it's hard for civilians to take a fat and sloppy cop serious: not that I am saying you are, but you yourself said you are big. I've seen some of the pictures posted here.

Look how our society as a whole looks down on the obese as slovenly and lazy, as evidenced by some of the posts in the weight loss threads. Not exactly the perception a police dept wants to project. We like our cops to be fit and sharp, not fat, sloppy and dumpy. Fit and sharp equal respectable.

Look at some of the comments about the ossifer in the picture. I'll be the first to say it's sad. His dept should have a policy that intervened when he was half the weight he is now. If nothing else, require lap band surgery and have his insurance pay for it.

Anti cop? What, just because I am not a cop horn-blower? I admit I do hold them to a higher standard, but that's not unreasonable.

I was driving through Batesville MS not long ago, and MHP had something going. On the side of the road, were two young black Highway Patrolmen. They were lean, had strong arms, looked like they worked out, their trousers were pressed with sharp creases. They had good posture, and were wearing those smokey bear hats. I say this with a staunch record of heterosexuality: they were looking S-H-A-R-P. They WERE the shizznick. They were projecting a very professional, trustworthy, respectable, competent, and authorative image. I know MHP has inspections because I have relatives who were on the force, but I am not sure if they have physical requirements. But the image those studly Troopers projected gained instant respect and admiration. It really made me wonder if looking good was a job requirement. Because they did.

Contrast that to a Memphis Police officer I saw whose uniform was sloppy, needed ironing, shirt wasn't properly tucked in and didn't fit well overall. Settle down whiners, I'm not saying they are all sloppy, and he could have had a foot race and fight with a suspect earlier, but he wasn't when I saw him. He didn't project the same quality image, and he wasn't fat. Just sloppy.

The contrast in the officers made me wonder if it was a matter of dept policy.

My point being, the physical appearance of an officer goes a long way toward projecting the proper image. Be it sloppy trousers, weight issues, untucked shirt, whatever. It's just easier for someone in a position of authority to gain the instant respect they deserve when they project a certain professional image.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  15. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I wouldn't want to tangle with that guy. Fat guys have stamina. Think about it. They carry that weight around all day, every day. Nope, would not want to rassel with him. Besides, I reckon he smells funny.

16. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I see a person that should not be wearing the uniform.

17. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

Surely you must be joking.

:whistling:

18. ChaoticMunky

ChaoticMunky

Here in the Indianapolis area, one of the police departments has an officer bigger than that guy. He's been on for 23 years or so and is about to retire, but wants to retire when he's 25. So the department took him off the street and made him a glorified meter maid. It's a way to get a "more physically fit" officer on the road, but still allow this guy to retire from the department. He was okay with the move, too.

As far as the physical fitness tests, most are only required before entering the academy. The Zionsville, Indiana Police Department (just northwest of Indianapolis) requires a physical fitness test once a year.

19. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

He's not joking, and don't call him Shirley.

Looks Like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue.

20. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Back in the day, I did too, and me too. 'Twas the way I was taught, if I wanted to carry horizontal. I carry the mag cartridge down. Pull out mag with index on bottom, and have my pistol about chest high, looking at the left side profile. I'd have the gun at a tilt, with the barrel pointing about 10 o'clock. It was actually fluid for me. Not so much for others. I guess it's all about preference and training.