Whaddya Make Of This...?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Arquebus12, Feb 8, 2010.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I couldn't care less about that comment. If you'll notice, I'm a bit peeved that people want to run their mouths about folks when they have no idea what's going on.

Are the odds fairly good that he's a fattie because he doesn't exercise, and eats poorly?

Probably.

Doesn't mean he's not a good officer. THAT'S what pisses me off. By the way, you claim to be a retired officer. When/where was that?

2. wprebeck

Oh, and the "us" part of the quote?

That referred to Glock Talk members. Like I said, I've seen the pic threads. A number of members on this site make me look like Karen Carpenter, and that takes some doing. Doesn't mean they're not good folks, though.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

C'mon. Is there any other reply??????

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

How do they size that uniform?

5. vafish

vafish

I bet he doesn't complain about no space on his duty belt when the department mandates he carries some new gear.

6. wprebeck

5XL?

I'm only at a 2X, so I don't feel all that bad.

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I have to ask you, not to be combative, if a portion of the job an officer fielded to the street (of any rank) is tasked with is being physically fit, how then, can this officer be good at his job?

It's certainly possible he's really good at the other portions of his duties but, the fact that he's allowed his physical condition to degrade to the point that his very presence in a picture draws derision ... well, that says a lot about his professionalism.

Exactly how good could he possibly be at running down a suspect, crawling into a tight space to save/apprehend someone, dragging someone else away from danger, lasting in a protracted fight or any of the other myriad physical things an officer has to do in his or her daily duties?

I work in a LEO office and all of the supervisors here have the same physical qualifications of the field agents. Honestly, supervisors are supposed to lead by example. My understanding of most municipal police forces is that a Sergeant is the first line supervisor over the street cops. How can he, honestly, require his subordinates to excel to a physical prowess he himself gave up on a long, long time ago?

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I ask again: Have we ascertained this is a picture of a real-live LEO, and not something from a movie, or staged?

And even if it is an officer, what era is this from? I have some pictures backstage at a reggae concert with two police officers each holding a bottle of Heineken beers. This was from 198..6?

The actual scandal from that photo, was, back in those days, ONLY WOMEN drank Heineken (green bottle), as it was considered LIGHT BEER in Jamaica. :supergrin: - the scandal was not about cops drinking, because literally EVERYONE was capable of drinking one, or two beers without leaving and wiping out an entire community.

'Drew

9. silentpoet

silentpoet

No what I mean is his waist is smaller than his ass, do they even make pants for that or do they have to go to a tailor?

10. thanospro

thanospro

Wish I had that much room on my gunbelt. Imagine all the crap you could carry.

11. wprebeck

It comes with a price...hard to sit down in them narrow chairs made for skinny folk. I used to be a member of that particular tribe, but it turns out that when you quit smoking AND quit training at the same time....you get a lot bigger. Gained about 80 lbs from that. It's a lot harder to lose it, than it was to put on.

Of course, it IS handy, having a gun belt with some room. Gun, mag pouch, two cuff cases, flashlight, baton, OC, radio, and room to spare.

12. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Tip o' the hat to ya, Dennis, for the delightfully obscure reference. I admit I had to read a few times before it registered with me.

:beer:

13. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

That's a shame.

I often see pics chunky ossifers post of themselves and wonder if they realize someone in a position of authority should keep themselves fit. Not to mention if they ever need to chase a suspect.

It's hard to have command presence when you are obese.

14. wprebeck

Says the guy with a verified posting history of anti-LE.

I've big, and I've no problem with command presence. But then, I've been doing this a while, and not just commenting on it from the sidelines with absolutely no experience in the job. How about you?

15. wprebeck

On a side note, and directly related to RR's comment -

I've seen more skinny people get laughed at, and disrespected, than I have bigger people. Yeah, the guy in the pic would get some crap...mainly because his body shape is just so...weird.

But, they'll laugh at an officer who tops the scales at 145lbs, just as much as they'd laugh at this guy. Been there, seen that. Short folks, skinny folks, fat folks - they all get laughed at. The only ones who gain instant respect are generally the people who were fortunate enough to be grow up to be 6'# or better, with a lot of muscle packed on their frames.

Otherwise, you have to deal with people in such a manner that others hear about you, and show you the respect based on how you've dealt with others. For me, that means fair and consistent. Doesn't matter if I'm going hands-on, or talking to them to prevent it. It's all about being consistent and fair to the people you're dealing with.

But, like I said...I don't know as much as some, since I've only been at it for a decade, and others have spent way more time than that armchair quarterbacking.

16. LEAD

LEAD

Well if he can do a cool ninja move, or shoot you if nessicary who cares if he can run you down, or get up fast if he was knocked on either his bow or his stern.

Easy. Jokes.

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Did you ever stop to think about the perspective of a non LEO? As a non LEO, it would be really hard for me to take that guy seriously - and I take everyone in LE uniform, or having properly identified themselves as LE seriously.

'Drew

18. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

The JaredSubway diet!

[​IMG]

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sweet!

Can I send you some pics I need to have sent for the 25th high school re-union magazine? :supergrin:

20. wprebeck

That's fine. I really don't mind if people don't take me seriously. That's their problem, not mine. It's a bit harder on me, in the sense that I have to do paperwork when I make an arrest, instead of people just doing what I've asked them to do....but it's not THAT big of a deal.

Again, I've seen just as much disrespect given to short people, skinny people, female officers, gay officers, whatever other group of people you can think of, as I have fat officers. If you don't respect the guy because he's fat, does that make the law he's enforcing any less legal?

Of course, were the police a bunch of SWAT god-types, all 6' or better, able to bench 300 lbs, possessing a master's degree, able to outshoot John Wayne at his finest, and could run a marathon - then we'd have folks *****ing about how the police are too intimidating, and that in the old days, you didn't have to be a superman to be a cop, they were older and heavier guys that a normal person could relate to, etc.

Some people aren't ever happy about anything the police do. Yeah, the guy's overweight - fat, even. Who the hell cares? I worry more about him being an effective supervisor, than if he dines exclusively on Twinkies & Mountain Dew. If him being fat screws up his job performance, then it should be dealt with. Until then, who the hell cares? Besides a bunch of people who are founding members of the ACQB team, that is.