Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
NRA Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Order should be here tomorrow:
  • Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler/pins./
  • Frankford Arsenal Brass Dryer (for winter use up here in Ohio)
  • Dillon toolhead
  • Lee U die
Also picked up some LemiShine (all I could find was lemon scent...brass will smell fresh) and Dawn.

Always looking forward to a new twist in my reloading journey.

·
Registered
60 Posts
About the Dawn, I use the lanolin/alcohol home brew for case lube. Dawn didn't really cut the film, the brass still felt tacky. Now I use one of those tablets for the dishwasher with a bit of LemiShine. Cuts the lanolin much better.

·
NRA Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About the Dawn, I use the lanolin/alcohol home brew for case lube. Dawn didn't really cut the film, the brass still felt tacky. Now I use one of those tablets for the dishwasher with a bit of LemiShine. Cuts the lanolin much better.
I use One Shot Lube.....I tried Dillon lube and it was tacky

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Order should be here tomorrow:
  • Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler/pins./
  • Frankford Arsenal Brass Dryer (for winter use up here in Ohio)
  • Dillon toolhead
  • Lee U die
Also picked up some LemiShine (all I could find was lemon scent...brass will smell fresh) and Dawn.

Always looking forward to a new twist in my reloading journey.
U die (undersized) or universal decapping die? Two different animals.

·
Scottish Member
13,233 Posts
On the recommendation from Uncle Bob, I use small amount of dawn and car wash soap with wax.

It helps to keeps the brass from tarnishing, but there isn't much foaming without the dawn.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
On the recommendation from Uncle Bob, I use small amount of dawn and car wash soap with wax.

It helps to keeps the brass from tarnishing, but there isn't much foaming without the dawn.
The car wash with wax and Lime shine.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts

You don’t want a bunch of foaming. Too much foam inside the tumbler only builds up pressure in the tumbler. Not good.

·
Scottish Member
13,233 Posts

To be clear, Bob didn't recommend dawn. The pin supplier did.

Even with a "hard squirt" of dawn, I've never seen any signs of excessive pressure - like flattened primers :) (or leaks).

Reactions: WeeWilly

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I use the Frankford arsenal tumbler .
Lemishine and dawn platinum but recently have been trying the Frankford arsenal soap , it seems to keep the brass from tarnishing as quickly . I need to try the car wash see if that's a better alternative.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I built my own tumbler modeled after Bigg Dawg's tumblers. Made the frame out of 3/4 plywood and 8/4 poplar instead of a welded frame because I own a woodworking shop. 2 different sized tumbling drums from PVC pipe and parts. I can run up to 12-15# of brass if I need to.

Use Dawn and Lemishine formula, but have been meaning to try the carwash soap also. I have never had any issues with excess foaming that some have cited, so I am not sure what the issue is there. Since I lube with Hornady One Shot there haven't been any issues with residue either.

Dry my brass on a black towel outside in the sun during the midday normally, but have done it inside after using the air compressor to blow off what ever water that I could and then a fan for a couple of hours. Since Denver is a dry climate that works when the sun is not out.

Reactions: crockett

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
To be clear, Bob didn't recommend dawn. The pin supplier did.

Even with a "hard squirt" of dawn, I've never seen any signs of excessive pressure - like flattened primers :) (or leaks).
What flattened primers are you talking about? Don’t you you decap your brass before you clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
So will the brass tarnish when using Dawn and Lemishine and then lube with One Shot?
LemiShine (really Citric Acid), passivates the brass to inhibit corrosion. If you wet wash with Lemishine and car wash with wax (vs dawn); you may not even need the One Shot. When I wash 357Sig brass that way, I can size the bottleneck brass without any additional lube.

https://www.pfonline.com/articles/passivating-brass-shell-cases-after-pickling-polishing
Although not as widely documented as benzotriazole or tolyltriazole, I have also had good experience with citric acid as an anti-tarnish for copper parts in something that is close to a mass-finishing operation (a barrel cleaning line). About a one-half ounce of solid citric acid dissolved in a gallon of water gives good anti-tarnish protection for extended storage periods. I have also been told that the parts tumble and separate better after this operation, although I’m not sure why.​

·
Registered
56 Posts
I built my own tumbler modeled after Bigg Dawg's tumblers. Made the frame out of 3/4 plywood and 8/4 poplar instead of a welded frame because I own a woodworking shop. 2 different sized tumbling drums from PVC pipe and parts. I can run up to 12-15# of brass if I need to.

Use Dawn and Lemishine formula, but have been meaning to try the carwash soap also. I have never had any issues with excess foaming that some have cited, so I am not sure what the issue is there. Since I lube with Hornady One Shot there haven't been any issues with residue either.

Dry my brass on a black towel outside in the sun during the midday normally, but have done it inside after using the air compressor to blow off what ever water that I could and then a fan for a couple of hours. Since Denver is a dry climate that works when the sun is not out.
Do you have a drawing or plans you can share? I'm mostly interested in how you drive the PVC "tumbler". Very interesting/innovative...

·
Scottish Member
13,233 Posts
What flattened primers are you talking about? Don’t you you decap your brass before you clean?

It was a joke, regarding "excessive pressure from foaming soap" (note the :) ) - which isn't an issue.

To answer your question, for pistol I don't de-cap before cleaning, for rifle I do.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Do you have a drawing or plans you can share? I'm mostly interested in how you drive the PVC "tumbler". Very interesting/innovative...
I do not have drawings. I loosely replicated Bigg Dawg’s tumblers after reading all that was available online, except my frame is wood. If you Google Bigg Dawg Tumblers, there is an awful lot to learn at his home site. Dig around on the web, he did originally put some dimensioned drawings and instructions for his tumblers and drums online on AR-15.com. One thing that I changed was that I used silicone tubing to cover the drive axles instead of car heater hose. The heater hose left a lot of nasty looking black rubber on my drums.

Pay attention to which way the drums are supposed to rotate. The correct direction is actually counterintuitive from what you think.

I had a couple of 1/4 hp electric motors laying around that I had previously found at a yard sale, 3 in a box for $10 (all). I bought my parts several at a time online over several months so that made the project seem really cheap to do. You can even get all of your PVC pipe stuff from eBay.

Said and done I built my wet tumbler for less than half of what a purchased setup would have cost, plus the satisfaction of having done it myself.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts