close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Virginia officer shot....

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Glock-em-all, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Glock-em-all

Glock-em-all The Baby Sitter

http://wvnstv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=76976

SAVED BY THE VEST

OAK HILL, WV --

West Virginia State Troopers said that an Oak Hill Police Officer has been shot. The Corporal Chris Young, a six year veteran of the Oak Hill Police Department, was treated and released from Plateau Medical Center.

He was wearing a bullet proof vest.

Investigators said one round hit Young in the chest and another hit his police cruiser.

The shooting happened around 4:15 a.m. March 18 during a traffic stop along Route 61 in Fayette County, about one mile outside of Oak Hill.

The suspect is described as a black male, driving a large, dark vehicle with Ohio tags.

Dispatchers said a portion of Route 61, extending about three miles outside of Oak Hill, is now closed. Road checks are now taking place between Oak Hill and Montgomery.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Glad the Trooper was saved from further injuries by his bullet resistant vest. Just this morning I was checking my vest, which was produced in 2003, and was thinking about replacing it. This incident just gives more food for thought.

3. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I'd like to thank all the free-range kevlars that gave their lives to protect him. :cool:

Glad this guy was wearing his vest, as I'm sure he and his family are. :thumbsup:

Now, they need to get to finding the scumbag who took the shot at him, and make him pay dearly.

4. Glock-em-all

Glock-em-all The Baby Sitter

They're still out there searching.
    The lieuteant did an interview on the news stating the officer initiated the traffic stop but the perp stopped in the middle of the road, exited and approached the officer and opened fire! - then retreated to his car and sped off.

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Not picking at what this officer did or did not do (not the time or the place and I have seen nothing on this but this thread), but I hope that everyone thinks about this. Be ready to be ambushed.

6. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

We can train people, classroom, scenarios, FT, to not let people get out of the car.

But we will still get people that will try to do stuff one step at a time.

See violation
    Catch up to violator
    Activate lights
    Stop behind violator
    Notify dispatch of traffic stop
    Contact violator
    Run data
    Write citation, or warning.
    Issue citation, written warning, or vebal warning
    Return documents to violator
    Wish violator a hardy adieu
    Adjust hat
    Return to car

The OODA loop is now 30 seconds long.

We've all had trainees that just sit in the car, when you ask them what they are doing, "waiting to notify dispatch............." While they are wearing a portable radio.

The reason there aren't 45 cops a day killed, isnt because LEO's are that good, it's because there are relatively few people that really want to hurt us, and have the opportunity, skills, and motivation to do so.

Unfortunately, lots of offiicers get used to dealing with compliant people.

It may not be that he "let" the violator get out, he might have just hesitated while trying to think about what to do, instead of reacting.

7. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I hear ya.

We really push getting EVERYTHING (catch up, seatbelt off, tilt steering up, plate ran, stop called in, etc) done BEFORE the lights come on. There is really no excuse to routinely take more than five or ten seconds "getting ready to get out of the car" by doing the above things after putting the car in park.

8. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Yes, I try to be opening the door, the second the car is fully stopped, with the plate already called in.

But not everyone does that, I'm not always sure why. There are some people you need to get the lights on quickly for, too.

Abrupt or unusual stopping should be a clue that something unusual is about to occur.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

We got trained to emphasize that tactical retreat is an option and to use it. They showed training tapes of t-stops and when the officer pulls up, the violator jumps out of his car and walks toward the officer. Then the tape shows the officer immediately reversing and using the loudspeaker to tell the perp to stand still and show his hands. We don't let someone get back in the car once they got out.

The whole point was to just get out of there and re-establish control before re-engaging someone who does that.