Were you ever refused ammo to buy because you didn't buy a gun at that store?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by slackercruster, Oct 31, 2020.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster

Born L.A. - NYC 2nd Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
    Were you ever refused ammo to buy because you didn't buy a gun at that store? I had read a post along these lines at Calguns. If you want the ammo...you buy a gun from them first.

2. speedway

speedway

Rookie problem.

No reason to buy any overpriced and largely non existent ammo now. If you didn’t see the need before now then you were snoozing.

3. grecco

grecco

Yes,
    There has been a run on guns and ammo in my area.
    The shortage is real.
    Usually 1 box per customer for range use or 1 box with a firearm purchase to take home.

4. collim1

collim1

Yes.....sort of. I have seen plenty of shops that are reserving a few cases of ammo to sell to people who are buying a new gun.

I think you have the intent somewhat wrong though........I don’t think it’s as sinister of a ploy as you have insinuated.

It’s obviously pretty disappointing to buy a new gun and not be able to shoot it. Disappointing enough to discourage people who might other wise have bought a new gun.

So it helps both the shop stay in business and the customer enjoy their now toy.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    n2g, Timeless, DAKA and 15 others like this.
  5. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

The struggle is real, yo.

Scott1970 likes this.
  6. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

No. I've been lucky. My LGS seems to always have ammo. Albeit, inflated and limited, but in stock in the calibers I need. I buy a little bit 2-3 times a week.

The price I pay is a learning experience.

And if they didn't sell it to me, I wouldn't go there anymore.

7. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

No. I usually buy ammo in bulk from SGA or other online ammo places.

Terry G, syntaxerrorsix and Ramjet38 like this.
  8. Orive 8

Orive 8

Yes about 4-5 months ago I went into a LGS and asked about some Critical Defense .38 special lite ammo. The counter guy told me that they didn't have any in stock, then made the statement: "Even if we did; I couldn't sell it to you unless you bought a gun."

I replied "I guess you don't want any of my money then." and left. I have been to that store numerous times over the last 18 years and have purchased items from them, so it wasn't my first time in store. But it will be my last.

Since then my wife and I have purchased guns from several other stores and 5,000 rounds of 9mm from a couple of other stores. FFLs around here are a dime a dozen, I've been to 40+ in the Greater Pittsburgh area since moving here in 2002.

Oh yeah, I found the Critical Defense Lite ammo on line a little later.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Pepiot and mj9mm like this.
  9. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Gun stores make money on gun sales. Gun sales may not happen unless they set aside ammo to go with each gun. It's about staying alive in the tough climate of today's ammo world.

n2g, Timeless, johns961 and 7 others like this.
  10. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Exactly. Can’t get mad at the gun-store for wanting to have ammo for gun sales. It’s very difficult to sell a gun if ammunition isn’t available.

n2g, Timeless, johns961 and 5 others like this.
  11. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

No, but in the current situation I can see it being a reasonable policy.

There’s a very limited supply of ammunition to go around at the moment. They have to prioritize who they sell ammo to because they can’t sell to everyone, or even most people.

People buying a new gun are going to need some ammo to shoot it. The ones complaining about a policy like this are probably the same ones complaining about new gun owners who don’t know how to shoot.

Congratulations on being a special snowflake and throwing a temper tantrum, I guess.

You weren’t even affected by the policy because they didn’t have it to sell you anyway.

Guess now I know what a gun-Karen looks like. Lol.

12. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

It would suck to be a n00b finally buying that first gun, but the hoarders took all the ammo.

Timeless likes this.
  13. Gamera

Gamera

Like others have said, stores with limited supplies need to hold ammo back for gun buyers, otherwise; they risk not being able to sell their guns at all. Plus anyone buying a gun needs at least one box of ammo to go with it. It’s just good customer service.

n2g likes this.
  14. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

There's a very large gun store in Connecticut that has that policy. I have no problem with it since I buy several guns a year from them. :)

15. oldmick

oldmick

My LGS has limited ammo available for those who purchase range time. Their store, their rules.

I’m blessed; my wife is always on the lookout for .22 and 9mm, so we still have a little “inventory”. I’ve also cut back on rounds per session.

16. JK-linux

JK-linux

If one is upset about the ammo sales policy right now, then the one buying ammo right now had the same lack of foresight as the noob buying the gun (and needing a box of ammo for it). Both are lucky the LGS has any inventory to sell them. The noob at least has an excuse. YMMV

NewWaveGuy and 540mope like this.
  17. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

I have an LGS that has this policy long before anyone ever heard of this Democrat started, media driven "pandemic". I never bought their over priced guns so the policy never effected me.

Orive 8 and 540mope like this.
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

No, I only buy guns in America.

billy_56081 and Orive 8 like this.
  19. 540mope

540mope

Bingo!!
    As for people who are coming of age to own a firearm, i feel bad for them.
    Totally different opinion for anyone who has been asleep for the last 20 30 years and didn't stock up. They often refer to those who have stocked up as "hoarders". As for them...sleep on.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    NewWaveGuy likes this.
  20. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I was told many years ago that bars wouldn’t serve a beer w/o a shot of whiskey. I didn’t complain and have gone with that ever since. My nephew tries to tell me that isn’t true, but what do the young know now-a-days.