Went to the range, rented a Sig 226...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Aces and 8s, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Aces and 8s

Aces and 8s Dead Mans Hand

Went to the range this weekend with the G22 to fire some rounds with the GF, she wanted to rent a gun so I advised her to shoot the Sig, I never had shot one before but heard nothing but good things about them.

Well, I was extremely let down. The only thing I liked about it was the grip, felt good in the hand but I did not like the rest of the gun, the way it shot and most of all I hated the trigger..

I was happy to shoot my glock again after only 10 rounds through the sig.

Why are these guns $800+ again?

2. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

Well for starters it is a more intricate design with a machined aluminum (in most cases) frame compared to an injection molded Glock.

I personally find a P226 9mm more enjoyable to shoot than a Glock, but that's obviously a matter of opinion.

3. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Excellent assessment! Stick with Glock Perfection.

SIGs are ugly, heavy, boat anchor, rust buckets, and far too complicated. :)

I have about $5,000 invested in 12 pounds of rusting steel here:

[​IMG]

4. bac1023

bac1023

Uh, because they're well built, quality pistols, not cheap molded warped plastic.

5. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Well, I'll let you in on a secret. My P239 didn't hold up too well after shooting a box of GDHP 124 gr. 9 mm +P.

[​IMG]

No worries since I got a Kel-Tec "Fluff 'n Buff" package. All is well...

[​IMG]

:rofl:

6. bac1023

bac1023

7. 610ck

610ck

I was let down by the 226 as well. Nothing feels as good as a 1911 when shooting. But, I haven't shot a variety of handguns either. Is there anything that compars to a 1911?

8. staplebox

staplebox Trudging along

My 226 is my nightstand, protect the family, go to gun.

I'm looking for a 239 for my next carry gun.

Luckily for you, renting is an option. Go with what you like.

9. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Always stick with what feels best to you. I have had a few P226's over the past 15 years and as I have traded and bought other guns, I have never been without my Sig P226. My first was a 9mm. I now have one in 40S&W, Equinox version from their custom shop and love it. Like my Glocks too as I have two but my favorite remains the Sig.

10. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I don't think there's an answer to your question since we are all different.

It's the same answer I'd give to the question: "Which is the best _________?"

Best for whom?

For what application?

For me, my P226ST has the best ergonomics (so far) of my 18 or so pistols, but my 1911s point more naturally for me.

As for Glocks, they lack the attributes that I find important in a pistol, including the "strike-me-fire" trigger. :supergrin:

It's sad though that the most important attribute to many around here is price. They don't care about the action or what fits. It's all about the cheapest gun they can find that makes noise when the trigger is slapped. :rofl:

11. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Nothing like having a pistol that is too big, heavy, low capacity with poor egos and suck *** triggers to remind you why GLOCK and its copycats do so well.

Yeah, SIG's are pretty accurate and reliable. But no more so than other cheaper more ergonomic pistols with better finishes and less bulk.

12. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

I think you're experience is a little unique.

I dont know anybody else who after 10 rounds through one of the best handguns ever made was so seriously let down.

A shooter having a preference for glock is not a rare thing, but having a completely negative experience with a p226 is.

13. u4ea

u4ea

If the Glock was not as bulletproof as it is, I doubt it would sell even close to what it does. It's not a gun that people will come over to you at the range and ask to take a look at like they will a nice 1911 such as a Dan Wesson, but it's a gun that you can buy and shoot the piss out of without fixing stuff left and right. It's the Honda Civic of pistols. Cheap, nothing flashy, you don't need to make a lot of money to buy one, and you will get sick of it before it breaks down on you.

14. CAcop

CAcop

I don't really like the feel of the P226 much myself. Now I do like the P228. I think the cut down the grips just a tad more and I like it. I like my P220 with Hogue grips better than the plastic grips on my P245 even though the grip is technically shorter. Then there is my P225. Nice little gun. It is the one Sig I have that I would buy a second one for.

Now for Glocks I really don't like the subcompacts. I like the compact ones better than the full size ones.

Now 1911s are where its at in any size as long as it can function.

As for price the Sig is spendy but as far as I am concerned CPOs are where it's at. You can get a perfectly good gun for less than $600 even in CA. Other states it is at least $50 cheaper if not close to $100. It is almost like turning back the clock 10-15 years in terms of pricing. My local gunshop carries more CPOs than NIB.

Of course my lust for CPOs might be a reason why I was willing to buy a perfectly good beat to hell P228. The only thing I did was change some springs and put in a short trigger and it makes me wonder if I should carry it instead of my 1911. I cannot beleive some fool department gave that thing up.

15. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I have some friends that are big into the sig 226.I shot theirs and was not too impressed either, reminded me a lot of a ruger p89.

To each his own. Personally I like the Sig 232 and the 238

What gets me is that Sig charges a premium for their guns and only give you one mag. :dunno:

Its kind of like buying a Cadillac or a BMW and getting one floor mat. You want more, that will be $50 a piece.

If I buy an $800 gun, it should come with 2 frickin mags.

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

You betcha! The Kool Aid is cooler over in General Glocking. :)

Don't forget the hacksaw, duct tape, Dremel, soldering iron, blow dryer, and a quarter for the 25 cent trigger job. :rofl:

17. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Sounds like Kool Aid comes in many different brands...

:whistling:

18. adamg01

adamg01

My ugly gun does the exact same thing as Sig. It just isn't as pretty and it doesn't have a delicate finish. Different strokes.

19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

There were about 60,000 pissed off Sigsters when Cohen pulled the "one mag" stunt.

He said there was a shortage. He's a liar. I proved it when I booked about $200 worth of a variety of mags right on the SIG web site.

As for comfyness; my 232SL (stainless) is the harshest shooting SIG I own.

20. adamg01

adamg01

I have noticed Cobra's comments are getting more hostile towards Glock since Sig's lastest marketing ploys have tarnished their good name. I think secretly Cobra has Glock envy...:whistling: