close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Went to buy a G26, came out confused...G36 or other...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by gatorfish, Feb 4, 2010.

1. gatorfish

gatorfish

I currently have a G19, a G17 and a Keltec PF9. I like the PF9 and it fits well as a carry gun, but I have the PF9 for sale and planned to pick up the G26 and complete the set, maintaining a smaller carry pistol...

So in the shop I fondled two pistols that have swayed my original plans, The G36 and the S&W M&P 9C... Both are similar in size and fit me well. The G36 pros are comfortable carry, different caliber and still a glock. The MP9C is also comfortable, in 9mm (uniformity of ammo), and adds variety.

I dont want to start a caliber war but I think it would be beneficial to own another flavor. I have never owned a .45

It will function as a primary carry gun.

open to all opinions as to which you'd choose, the G26, G36, or MP9C

2. Currahee

Currahee NRA Member

To me there is no point in owning a G26 when you have a G19. The G26 is not that much smaller when it comes to how easy it is to conceal the gun. The G36 "feels" smaller than the G26 to me.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong b/w the G36 or M&P.

3. CBennett

CBennett

agreed, IF I can find one for the right price i may look at a 36 myself

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

The G36 is good if you want a slim .45 for carry.

BTW I am not a moderator, but this thread belongs in General Glocking.

5. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

well...you've narrowed it down to one of the most popular carry pistols on this forum, Glock's orphan, or a S&W with a bad trigger. decisions...decisions...decisions:dunno:

6. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

If you get her narrowed down to just the two GLOCKs, I'd choose the G26. The G36 is about the only GLOCK model with a plausibly deserved bad reputation as far as reliability is concerned.

Can't go wrong with a G26 loaded with 147g HST or Ranger T ammo.

7. gatorfish

gatorfish

I posted here because of the inclusion of a non glock.

Bad trigger, you say? Thats the kind of info I am looking for....how so?

I should mention that my first pistol was a G26, which I traded for my G19 as I thought it would conceal just the same...after years of carry I find, that for my personal style, grip length to be the primary factor in concealability, followed by width for comfort... The G26 and MP9C are close in height and the G36 is noticeably shorter the G19, and thinner than all...

Factoring in a bit of undeserved boredom with GLOCK 9mm, maybe I should have phrased the question, what would I be losing out on if I went with a G36 or M&P9C over a G26...what would I gain???

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. up1911fan

up1911fan

I wouldn't get the 36. Go with whichever of the nine's fit's your hand better, maybe the smith for a little variety.

9. mlk18

mlk18

I have a full size M&P .45acp. The trigger needed a little break in time but is quite good. If you are a 'Glock or nothing' guy, then I am sure the trigger would suck in comparison. But if you can appreciate a good gun design from any given company, it's pretty good. But don't take my word for it, see if you can rent or borrow an M&P and give it a try first hand.

10. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

Then I would go with the G36!!!!

I have the G30 and wish I had bought the G36!:crying: Don't get me wrong, I love the 30, but it's just way too thick for CCW. Oh well, live and learn, right?

I do love my Glocks!!!
    [​IMG]

BTW....the 27 is the exact same size as the 26 but in .40S&W. GREAT GUN if you wanted to go that route. Just a thought.

TGG

11. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

12. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Complete the set. I have all 3 and am glad I do. Each serves its own purpose, but ammo, mags, and even some holsters are usable across the family. This is important when it comes to things like spare mags and carrying a BUG. The M&P is a great gun. I used to have an M&Pc but sold it to fund the G17. I'd hold off and get the fullsize as a range toy/HD gun later on as opposed to the compact version now for carry. I'll probably end up doing the same thing. Mags are also pretty pricey for the M&P line, which doesn't help. Just my take, FWIW.

13. LanceOregon

LanceOregon

The G36 only holds 6+1 rounds. So while it is a .45, you are giving up a lot in terms of firepower.

As another option, consider splitting the difference, and getting a M&P 40c. It offers 10+1 rounds of .40 S&W And if you want, you can even buy a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel for it, and turn it into a M&P 9c for the cost of just a barrel and a couple of 9mm magazines. And thus be able to shoot two types of ammo out of the same gun.

The one thing that I LOVE about the M&P pistols is that their chambers are FULLY SUPPORTED. Here is a photo that I took of my M&P 40c 's barrel showing how very well it is supported:

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison shot of my M&P 40c, next to my Walther PPS:

[​IMG]

The compact M&P pistols have basically the same length and height as the Walther PPS. But they are much wider, due to having double stack magazines. But that then allows them to hold more rounds.

I've added the outstanding Crimson Trace Laser grip insert into my M&P 40c, and it is totally fantastic. It improves the comfort of the grip immensely, and the laser comes on instantly when you grip the handgun.

Here is a close-up of the laser grip insert:

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of me holding the gun in my hand:

[​IMG]

If you really want a small larger caliber gun, consider the Walther PPS in .40 S&W It is also a 6+1 capacity gun like the G36, except that it is in .40 S&W But it is far thinner than the Glock 36, and thus much easier to conceal.

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I agree. I like my G26, but you wouldn't go wrong with the M&P. I have a few and they good guns. As for the G36, I think it's a good gun, and you wouldn't go wrong getting one, but with that capacity, I'd rather have a 3" or 4" 1911.

15. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

IMO, there's a very big benefit from choosing one platform for SD and HD handguns. My favorite Glocks are 9mm and I usually carry a G26...when I decided to buy a .40s&w pistol because of ammo availability...I stayed with the Glock platform and now own a G23 and a G27.

FWIW...I also like 1911s and find the common handling characteristics between brands and sizes speeds transition and proficiency from one gun to another.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  16. LanceOregon

LanceOregon

Some folks have spread rumours of the M&P pistols having "bad triggers". I also own a Glock 17 myself, and I prefer the trigger pull on either of M&P pistols to the one on my G17.

I do believe that some early production M&P pistols had some trigger issues when the pistols initially came out. But they have been on the market for a few years now, and S&W has basically got the "kinks" out of the gun in recent years, in my opinion.

Besides, if you are buying the gun locally, you can test the trigger yourself, and see what you think of it, before you buy the gun. I've yet to meet any gun dealer that would not let me handle and test fire a pistol that I was interested in buying.

Here I am holding my G17, which also has a Crimson Trace Laser on it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  17. TonyT

TonyT

In my opinion the G-36 is one great carry piece for it's caliber. I carried one for some time but finally opted for more discreet pocket carry of a Kahr PM-9. I still have the G-36 and find it to be totally reliable and surprisingly accurate. I also have a S&W M&P9 and find that the trigger of the S&W M&P's as well as their ergonomics are a better than the Glock.

18. Shima

Shima

To me, I look at what feels comfortable, and shoots good for me. I look at what I'm used to. I like the way Glocks shoot and the sight picture of the XS Big Dots, so I'm about to buy a G26 and furnish it with XS sights. I currently carry a G30 with XS sights for CCW, but its a little bulky and a little snappy in a smaller frame being a 45. That is the reason I personally wouldnt get the G36. I know the 36 is thinner than the G30, but don't know how much. I got a G21 with XS sights for home defense where concealability is not an issue. I would go with the G26 if I were you. I also like being able to use extra mags and holsters and you apparently like the way Glocks feel and shoot or you wouldn't have 2 already and be looking at another one. If you go to the M&P, thats a totally different feeling gun, but you still keep the same 9MM caliber. JMO and a way to look at it. Let us know what you do.

19. jimtl

jimtl

I have a G26 and a M&P 9c. Love 'em both. Once broken in, I found the M&P had a better trigger than the stock Glock. I put in a Ghost tactical, and think the Glock now has a slightly better trigger.

I've ordered an Apex sear which is supposed to improve the stock trigger ... nothing wrong with it now ... but I just can't help myself.

http://apextactical.com/hp_zencart/...oducts_id=21&zenid=pdhims3rrv2968qh9b5e5s9o47

One advantage of the Glock 26 ... you could use the mags from your G19.

20. Willieboy

Willieboy

I've heard the same thing about the G36. Too bad becasue it's a great concept. If not the G26, I'd put up with the extra bulk of the G30 and ten rounds.