Went through a really fun experience loading 45 acp over the last several days (NOT)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by KiloBravo, May 11, 2020.

1. fredj338

fredj338

I dont know of I would say common, but expect to find it on the ground.

2. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Our club lets the local police dept. use our range for their yearly qualifications gratis. They leave thousands of pieces .45 acp brass on the ground after a week of shooting. I picked up about 5000 pieces a few years ago. A good percentage of it was small pistol primered. Federal iirc,the non toxic stuff.I just seperated it from my large primered brass and marked it as such. I may never use it but i don’t through away good brass cases.

3. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

I separate the 45's into 3 groups after cleaning large primer, small primer and the junk pile s&b and the awful Herters.

4. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Thats a great haul.

One of the things I want to get done this week is to sort out my .45acp. I've got 9 ammo cans full. It'll be interesting to see how much is spp.

Planning on just saving it until it warrants reloading a batch. I may do like @Uncle Bob suggested above and use a Sharpie on them.

If nothing else they'll make for fast changeovers when press has been running 9mm, .223 or other spp.

orangejeep06 and KiloBravo like this.
  5. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

That's exactly how I load as well. I will load as many rounds as I want for every caliber that uses the same size primer as the one before it. Then I will take 5 minutes to switch my press over to run the opposite size primer and load for all of those calibers.

I watched a buddy of mine do this once when reloading...he loaded 9mm, then 45, then 40, then 44 mag. He changed the primer components in between each caliber. I then pointed out the way I do it and his mind was blown. Lol. It's all about efficiency.

SARDG and DubfromGA like this.
  6. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Heck yeah, man.

I'm getting fired up and mighty enthused about this. Hoping for some free time tomorrow to get started on the sorting.

The two most frequent rounds I shoot are .45acp & 9mm......and will be running on the same press once I'm finally up and running.

I know the spp .45's are a source of angst.....but.....I hope to make the best of it.

Rusty Gun and KiloBravo like this.
  7. KiloBravo

I actually did not mind the SPP 45 brass...once I realized it existed and separated it from the LPP variety. I also load everything on the same press, as eluded to in my previous post. I am not so high speed that I cant spend less than 5 minutes to swap primer parts on the LNL press. If I was loading commercially or owned a press which was a PITA to swap primer sizes on...then I may consider running a dedicated press for each size of primer.

DubfromGA and Taterhead like this.
  8. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

The existence of SPP 45 Brass is no reason to miss out on loading 45 ACP caliber. Embrace the suck and get it done. I loaded 3K rounds of 45 ACP last year and found a few dozen SPP cases when trying to seat the primer, it wasn't a big deal. At this point, I think I'm down to loading only my own fired brass so I won't be dealing with this any more.

9. Taterhead

Taterhead

That's one of the many reasons I love the Pro 2000 press. Changing primer size takes one 7/16" wrench and 20 seconds.

Unscrew this assembly:

[​IMG]

Then screw in this:

[​IMG]

10. KiloBravo

That's great. It looks like a similar process to my LNL. The only additional step I have is to remove the primer tube shield and swap out the primer shuttle. It takes no time at all.

Taterhead likes this.
  11. pwinter

pwinter

I got caught flat-footed when the ammo crunch hit. No 9mm, very little 40SW. But I had not reloaded any .45 in 35 years. I started poking around in my shop and discovered nearly 1000 LPPs I had forgotten about, a few bullets, and about a pound of 452AA. I knew I had a lot of brass (some of which was new, never fired), but when I started looking I discovered two bags of .45 acp brass I'd forgotten about. It was like Christmas! I loaded 10 rounds of 200g SWC with 4.5g of 452AA. I wasn't sure if that load would cycle the action, heck, I didn't know if it would even fire. Well, all 10 worked perfectly. No jams, soft recoil, and clean. I've since loaded nearly 200 rounds, with more to go. I realize 200 rounds is nothing, but it's enough to discourage the Zombie Apocalypse. I'm happy.

fredj338 and Taterhead like this.
  12. Taterhead

Taterhead

452AA might be my all time favorite handgun powder. I inherited a bunch of it a few years ago from a family member who had it left over from his 1970s era shotshell loading days. In 45, I was loading 5.0 gr under a 200 gr cast SWC.

Used it in 40, 38, 45 and even 10mm. All gone now. :crying:

fredj338 likes this.
  13. fredj338

fredj338

I went to 452AA soon after I started reloading. I loved the soft recoil & accuracy in my 1911. Then they dropped it & WST is its replacement. The load data so far is nearly identical, at least in 45 & pretty close in 9mm. IT is my fav 45 powder by far & probably for 9 & 40 minor too.

Taterhead likes this.
  14. Abrass

Abrass

Did You get a load worked up for the 45 acp spp?

15. collim1

collim1

Yes.

4.8g of W231 under a MBC 230g hi-tek coated bullet. 1.260” OAL. That load shoots really well out of my P220 and 1911. I was aiming for 750 FPS and they chrono’d at 738 FPS average over 10 shots. Close enough.

I didn’t do anything special with them though.

I wound up with about 200 of them. I saved them for a week with really bad weather and shot them at the indoor range and left the brass. No picking up brass allowed.

It took some work to get them to seat properly. I couldn’t seat and crimp in same step. They wouldn’t chamber until I added a fourth die and crimped separately.

Abrass likes this.
  16. Abrass

Abrass

Perfect, I am glad you came back with the MBC 230. Have a few of those and will test.
    So the SPP in the 45 acp is not a total loss. Thx for the info.

17. collim1

collim1

Shot fine. Just a pain in the butt to sort.

I prime on the press, so if I miss one it results in a crushed primer.

Primers are too darn hard to come by right now.

I crawled under the work bench through spider webs to recover a dropped primer last night. I don’t want to waste any if I can help it.

Current Resident, Abrass and fredj338 like this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

That is a good target load, maked about 800fps or so. WST is basically 452aa replacement. Loading is virtually identical. WST is my fav 45acp powder, any bullet wt, any bullet type.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Rusty Gun, Abrass and Taterhead like this.
  19. noylj

noylj

I simply inspect/sort/deprimer prior to cleaning. For .45 Auto, I keep a spent small pistol primer on the bench. If the primer enters the primer pocket without even touching, then it is a good case. If the spent primer hangs up, I place it in a bag with the rest of the stupid things. I have almost 25 cases after how many years of small primer pocket cases.
    If a primer doesn't seat easily, swage or ream the primer pocket (see primer pocket uniformer).

20. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

me too. I don't have any herters brass but S&B brass has been separated and is sitting there for when there is no other brass to reload.