Went through a really fun experience loading 45 acp over the last several days (NOT)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by KiloBravo, May 11, 2020.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I set up my dies and got everything dialed in on the press with no issues. I figured I loaded 45 acp 10 years ago when I last hand loaded. This should be easy. I could not have been more wrong.

First...I set everything up to run large pistol primers, and had a hell of a time getting primers to seat on at least the first 5 pieces of brass. I pull the brass and examine it. The primer pockets looked small when compared to some other brass I had on the bench. The primers in this brass were sticking half way out of the primer pocket. I do some research and discover several major ammo manufacturers started using primarily small pistol primers. I was less than amused. So I separated the brass and pulled primers from the affected brass. I was able to save most of the components for another attempt.

Then yesterday, I started to load up a batch of recently separated large primer brass, and I still experience issues seating primers! WTH?! So I start looking at head stamps. Every case I had issues with seating was a Herters case. So I read up on their brass. I read it has super tight primer pockets and may not seat CCI primers without a lot of force. Rather than continue trying to force things and get hurt or break my press, I separated the Herters brass from the rest. Then I got out my Lyman case prep tool I had not used before and found the bit to ream the primer pockets. I still had about 20 or so that were "stepped" in the primer pocket or had some internal brass ring inside of it. I could tell that ring would not have allowed primers to seat properly. I tossed those 20 or so cases into the junk brass bucket. I was able to save the others.

I then did another run of 100 rounds and had no issues. The Herters I managed to salvage worked fine after I reamed them and I had the brass separated by lpp and spp. Never did I think I would run into this many issues when loading 45 acp.

byf43, -JCN-, Rank Stranger and 2 others like this.
  2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

small primer 45 started coming out several years ago as non toxic, that's why the smaller flash hole. But it's not going away as more and more LEO indoor ranges are using that stuff. The most over looked part of reloading is the brass.

3. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

I have pretty much stopped loading 45 ACP because of this.

Most of my 45 ACP firearms are now 45 GAP so I dont have to worry (that much) about large primer vs small primer brass.

orangejeep06 and KiloBravo like this.
  4. norton

norton

I have had issues seating primers on S&B cases. Even with S&B primers.

orangejeep06 and KiloBravo like this.
  5. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

I feel your pain. Have had to separate out quite a bit of SPP .45 brass. Luckily I have a couple of thousand pieces of LPP .45 brass. Don't shoot it as much as I used to so probably can keep going quite a while.

KiloBravo likes this.
  6. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Wow. . . Another good reason I don't reload I guess. I don't have that kind of patience.

Penn'sWoods likes this.
  7. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Since you don’t reload why are you on a reloading forum? When the shelves are bare of ammo, us reloaders still have ammo. And at half or more cheaper price than factory ammo. But we reloaders like people like you leaving their brass behind for us to reload. Thank you..
    But I for one don’t freak out about small pistol primers in 45 acp. Or crimped primer pockets. Life is too short to worry about the little things. It's just another bump in the road.

8. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah for us long time 45acp guys, sp brass is an abomination. I try to not pick them up but the occasional one slips by. I just pull it out of the 650 & toss it n a bag for a buddy that loads them.

9. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Because I don’t read posts by forum. I just click on New Posts and read everything.

I am more than happy to leave my brass behind for people who will use it.

.... and I’m in no danger of running out of ammo, no matter how much is available on shelves. Lol

Rusty Gun, NJ1911, byf43 and 4 others like this.
  10. Taterhead

Taterhead

45 Auto is one cartridge that I do sort by headstamps (and primer size).

Small primers are set aside. Accumulating those for whatever reason. I don't have many.

R-P in one bin for cast bullets.

The recycle box for brands I dislike (Herters, Amerc, etc).

Everything else in the assortment for jacketed or plated bullets.

DubfromGA and KiloBravo like this.
  11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

12. tango44

tango44

Man I always have fun making the .45!

Abrass and KiloBravo like this.
  13. gunowner1

gunowner1

Same here! I shipped a few hundred pieces of SPP 45 brass to a forum member. Now I need to find a home for a ton of 380 brass I found in my shed.

14. fredj338

fredj338

Unfortunately, my practice isnt very static, so that is almost useless. I get most of my service caliber brass at local idpa matches. When I shoot 10mm, I shoot at a prvate club bay where its easy to find.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Until last year, I didn’t have a 45 I would shoot, so all my reloading was the other calibers. I had no idea the 45 used to use large pistol primers. Now, I have some 45’s I like to shoot. I thought I was in great shape. The powder I used for 40 will work in 45. I have a couple of boxes of 45 bullets (I bought components to reload every caliber of every centerfire firearm I own). When this all kicked off and prices jumped, I did an inventory if my 45 components and found I had never bought LPP. I have thousands of SPP, SRP, LRP, some magnum, most regular, but not the ones I thought I needed. Then, I started looking at the 45 brass and was pleasantly surprised to find I have a lot of SPP 45 brass. Im good to go, until I run out of 45 bullets.

Unfortunately, I sold a kit if my 45 components when I needed money as it was what the guy buying wanted.

KiloBravo likes this.
  16. pwinter

pwinter

I have thousands of rounds of 45 acp brass left over from my IPSC days 35 years ago. I didn't realize that spp brass was common in 45 acp now. I'll have to be careful picking up brass at the range.

Horskinator and KiloBravo like this.
  17. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

Majority of my .45 ACP brass was purchased bulk decades ago. No issues with any of it. But after my 1050 "discovered" SPP brass I started sorting, just going by primer size, not headstamp. Did not know about the issue with Herters brass, tho.

Solution will probably be to scan the case fall area before I start shooting.

KiloBravo likes this.
  18. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Mark your brass with a Sharpie.

19. collim1

collim1

I came across approximately 1500 free 45 ACP cases recently. About 100 of them were SPP. Just enough to be really annoying to sort.

I’m too cheap to throw them away. I’m going to try to work up a really accurate load with them and shoot them from a bench rest at 50 yards. Should be a fun way to keep them separate from my other cases.

I got nothing else to do on house arrest.

20. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I hear you bud. I have been buying components and loading like a crazy person the last few days. I got those primers and powder yesterday. And I just ordered 1k 9mm and 1k 45 bullets an hour ago. I now have at least 1000 bullets for every caliber I load. And I'm good on primers and pistol powder. The only think I'm weak on at the moment is rifle powder. But I'm set for a while now.

Horskinator and DubfromGA like this.