Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you start reading this, I am not a certified Glock instructor, gun genius, expert, or have thousands of dollars into guns. I am a guy that enjoys shooting as a hobby and will be carrying my Glock 23.

Still working on "breaking in" my Glock and preparing it for carry duty when my permit comes back, so went back out the the range today. I picked up some Remington UMC rounds from Wal-mart last week. I went Saturday and put maybe 75 rounds through it. No cleaning after the range because I knew I was headed back out there today.

Fast forward to today, I had about 175 left from Saturday and a couple of hours to burn, so back to the range I go. Now today was a bit different. I love this range for the fact that almost all the time, no one is out there with you, so you have a bit of freedom in what you do. I have been reading around some ways that can help you out on the range, if and when that time comes where you need to defend yourself. I decided to try a few different positions and ways to shoot out.

I put up three targets each about 2 feet apart from each other. I stepped back to 7 or so yards and went to town. I first practiced walking from left to right and firing at the three targets while still walking.
Other positions I used:
-opposite direction walking parallel
-getting "pushed" on the ground (on my butt), then drawing my weapon
-laying on my side
-laying on my back
-stomach
-sitting down
-simulating getting attacked from behind (close range, quick shots)
-even shooting left-handed

All of these drills are using my Comp-tac MTAC IWB holster.

To date, I have put 500 rounds through my Glock (which was used when I bought it) and have not had one FTx.

In closing, I have developed more confidence in my Glock to be a primary carry weapon and something I can count on if and when the time comes to use it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You certainly dont need to be an expert to shoot well and enjoy Glocks....

People have different levels of knowledge and experience and we are learning every day.

Glad to hear your G23 is working well for you and it sounds as though you are rather proficient with it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You certainly dont need to be an expert to shoot well and enjoy Glocks....

People have different levels of knowledge and experience and we are learning every day.

Glad to hear your G23 is working well for you and it sounds as though you are rather proficient with it. :thumbsup:
Thank you, this is my first .40 caliber handgun. I started out with a Bersa .380 and quickly became proficent with it and wanted to move up in caliber and quality. That is where the Glock came into play.

Being in the Army now for 8 years and shooting all kinds of weapons helps out alot to controlling the Glock and putting the reound where they need to go!

I should have gotten a pictures or two of the targets to post up but didn't have my camera with me at the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you, this is my first .40 caliber handgun. I started out with a Bersa .380 and quickly became proficent with it and wanted to move up in caliber and quality. That is where the Glock came into play.

Being in the Army now for 8 years and shooting all kinds of weapons helps out alot to controlling the Glock and putting the reound where they need to go!

I should have gotten a pictures or two of the targets to post up but didn't have my camera with me at the time.
Thank you for serving, best of luck.

·
Herr Trigger
1,261 Posts
Can't go wrong with a G23, (or a 04-06 GTO either :whistling:) How do you like the M-TAC? I currently use a Galco summer comfort but I'm looking to switch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a fun range day. I wish ranges around here would give you that much freedom in shooting positions.
haha...well its a range out in the country (Fallston, NC look it up), behind a barn, out in a field, so you have that freedom if you want, kinda nice, but it gets hot as **** in the grass during the day. At $5 an hour, you can't go wrong!
Can't go wrong with a G23, (or a 04-06 GTO either :whistling:) How do you like the M-TAC? I currently use a Galco summer comfort but I'm looking to switch.
I got the MTAC initally for my Bersa .380, then went back and ordered the Glock 23 part that is interchangable. That is the great thing about this holster, if I get a new gun, I don't have to buy a whole new holster, just a $35 part to switch out. I have not carried much with it, but inital impressions are that it will be very comfortable to carry around daily. The leather inbetween your gun and your side helps out alot IMO. Mine "clicks" into place, but not as much click as the C-TACs without the leather, but you can def distiguish a click with mine. And as long as your have a sturdy belt on, drawing is not an issue, as I have mine canted forward (15 degrees) and seated deep in the waistline. Even with a regular t-shirt it is fairly concealable.

As for the GTO...it gets the job done...:) Although, I do think it getting jealous because I am spending all this money on guns and no go-fast modifications for it...

·
Herr Trigger
1,261 Posts
I got the MTAC initally for my Bersa .380, then went back and ordered the Glock 23 part that is interchangable. That is the great thing about this holster, if I get a new gun, I don't have to buy a whole new holster, just a $35 part to switch out. I have not carried much with it, but inital impressions are that it will be very comfortable to carry around daily. The leather inbetween your gun and your side helps out alot IMO. Mine "clicks" into place, but not as much click as the C-TACs without the leather, but you can def distiguish a click with mine. And as long as your have a sturdy belt on, drawing is not an issue, as I have mine canted forward (15 degrees) and seated deep in the waistline. Even with a regular t-shirt it is fairly concealable.

As for the GTO...it gets the job done...:) Although, I do think it getting jealous because I am spending all this money on guns and no go-fast modifications for it...

Sounds like an M-TAC is in my near future then.

It sux having to choose which hobby to spend your hard earned money on doesn't it?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Glad to hear that not only are you putting your 23 to good use, but you have the facilities and have taken the initiative to practice different situations that you may be put in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts