close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Went hunting today w/pix

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by scrilla, Nov 11, 2004.

1. scrilla

scrilla

I went hunting today in Kerrville,Texas and shot two nice 8 points. They both were nearly identical in size except one has a bigger rack. I shot the smaller 8 point at 7:15 a.m. and the bigger buck this afternoon at around 4. They were both pretty nice size. They were both around 150 lbs and dressed out at around 115 lbs.

Both were shot with a 30-06 with 150 grain Remington core Lokt ammo. They were both shot at around 35 yards.

Here are the pictures:

2. scrilla

scrilla

here is the other bigger buck

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Now whatcha gonna do with 2? Lots of eating.

Good choice in ammo. I use the .30-06 165gr Win PowerPoints myself.

4. scrilla

scrilla

I am making smoked sausage out of one. The other will probably just be made into steaks. It is a lot of meat but I will be giving some to my parents, sister, and friends.

5. angry goat

angry goat You're Weak!

Did they run after they were hit, or drop in their tracks?

6. scrilla

scrilla

They were both shot in the neck so both dropped in their tracks.

7. pdxbubba

pdxbubba

Nice deer. Congrats.

I don't think I will ever get used to the many ways people count point on deer. Out here those would have been called 3x3's with eye guards. Realy doesn't matter, they are still nice bucks and pretty tasty looking too!

8. noway

noway

Nice job scrilla, and contrary to pdxbubba comment, that smaller buck photo would not be a 3x3 with eye guards, but the rht side antler would be counted as a 3 points due to the one brow tine point not being over 1" in length ( at least from the size indicated in the photo) and the left side looks to be 4 points. The Bigger buck photo was not clear enough for comments. MOST states count points if they are 1" or longer, but all in all, a good job .

I can only dream of shooting a deer that size here in SOFLA. Did you get a chance to get these bucks aged? Also whos doing your sausages ( yourself or butcher )?

9. pdxbubba

pdxbubba

Great bucks. Please don't missread this to say anything bad about your bucks.

Noway even further proves my point that how any bucks rack is scored varies from area to area. Some scores more universal and 'official' than others. Some places count them only if they reach an arbitrary length, so count them as long as they exist. That's why I may never get used to how each area counts them.

Personally I go for taste over rack so count doesn't matter to me as long as its legal.

10. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

Nice deer! I second what ithaca_deerslayer posted, nice choice in ammo. I shot a big eight point last week using .270 130 gr Core-Lokt. Despite his vitals being totally destroyed the deer went about twenty yards. The bullet performed very well.

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

Me either, here they both would have been called a 4 point. If they were different they would be called a 4X5 if the points didn't match on each side.

Either way. They are nice looking deer.