close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Went from a 17L to a G26.... impressions.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Lindenwood, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

My primary defensive / carry weapon previously was my 17L. I really liked the gun, but it was difficult to conceal while riding a bicycle (shirts tended to ride up over it). The only workable on-body option was appendix carry, and for that I needed something much shorter to be comfortable while hunched over. Thus, I traded it for a G26.

The Good:
    I am extremely impressed with how well it shoots. Even with the small two-finger grip, it is just as easy to control rapid fire and double taps as with the 17L.

The recoil and muzzle flip feels about the same. I'd hypothesize that if the degree of muzzle flip is greater with the G26, its shorter barrel allows it to fall back on target more quickly, offsetting any difference. I always felt like the 17L was slower than I'd expect to get back on target, even with a reduced recoil spring.

I've only taken it out once and only put maybe 80-100 rounds through it (not sure if I filled the mags once or twice), but accuracy was easily as good as the 17L. I tried a few slow-fire groups and I got a couple of 3-shot cloverleafs on blank paper at 7 yards. Also, it turns out my 17L shooting high was the gun, not me. With the factory sights, the G26 shoots exactly where I'd expect.

This is the first time I've ever had a carry gun small enough for OWB carry. I have been experimenting with it and I definitely enjoy the fast draws / reholsters and complete comfort, though it is obviously more limited as far as concealment goes.

The Bad:
    The things that weren't surprising were a more difficult purchase for drawing, and a little less stability in the holster due to the short slide (when carrying IWB).

However, what I didn't expect was that except for appendix carry, it is no less comfortable to carry than the 17L. At least now in winter where I'm always wearing a jacket or sweater, it doesn't seem any easier to conceal, but I'm sure once summer comes back I will appreciate the shorter grip.

But, overall I am extremely pleased with the switch. I can definitely believe it when people say they are just as good with their Baby Glocks as they are with their larger guns, because I am. If anything, I honestly miss the appearance and velocity of the 17L more than the capacity, heh.

I will probably get some Peace +0s, just for an easier draw and so others can more comfortably shoot it (I am sure the two-finger grip would bother most of the relatively-inexperienced people I often bring to the range).

2. Breadman03

Breadman03

No reduced capacity at all. The 26 takes Glock 33 round mags, no problem. When I am going into an area or situation that is less comfortable to me, I drop in a full size mag. I truly believe that the 26/27 is the most versatile pistol Glock makes.

Enjoy!

3. waynokarider01

waynokarider01

I do love my 26, but, as you found with your 17L, I find that my 19 balances better in my holster, so I prefer to carry it. You probably already know about them, but you can also get the mag adapter sleeves. They slide down over your 17 mags, giving you a full grip on your 26. They are also available for the 19 mags which I keep plenty of. They are great to carry for your spare mag. You can keep the 26 concealed with the small mag, then change out with the larger mag for a higher capacity and nicer grip.

4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

To clarify, I was meaning to say that the reduced capacity doesn't bother me at all, but I do know about all the options with larger mags. I suppose I really was only talking about factory capacity with the mags that come with the gun.